Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 North Shore slack key music?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  12:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I are leaving on Friday for a much-needed break. We will be staying on the north shore of Oahu and would like to see/hear some good slack key guitar music. Any ideas?

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  1:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check with Lanet Abrigo (abrigoohana). I think she lives somewhere iin that neck of the woods and can so advise you. Her kids play at Pizza Bob's periodically. Or ask Uncle Duke. He does not live down that way, but may know of some music going on.

Have fun!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  4:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the TGIF section of the Honolulu Advertiser (you can do it online). Great list of who's playing where all week. For more local stuff, maybe the O`ahu folks can chime in.

dog

Wag More. Bark Less
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  5:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of slack key in the country.
Saturday nights at Turtle Bay Resort, in the dining room, including Ed Lee (and his wife Ramona) who backed up Ray Kane forever. (And it's a prime rib and seafood buffet, too. Friday nights is prime rib and Hawaiian buffet, and another slack key player.)
Ed also told me about a new place in Wahiawa called Higher Ground. Apparently a variety of music, so you'd have to call and get the scoops on when they're doing slack key nights. I haven't been there yet. EDIT: I just found them on the web at http://www.highergroundhawaii.com/ . Don't see anything about slack key; looks more like Jawaiian. ACK. Might still wanna call em, though.
Every other Friday night the Hau`ula Serenaders play at Crouching Lion Inn. Excellent slack key by Captain Ron, who works for the fire department. He's got one of those carbon fiber guitars like Cyril Pahinui plays, and he also plays a mean steel. They'll be there this Friday, 6:30 to 8:30.
That's a start for ya...
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  05:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're willing to drive around the island, Honey's at the Ko`olau Golf Course has Mike Ka`awa and his Hawaiian Boy Crew on Sunday around 4 PM to around 7 PM. Eddie Kamae is usually a featured guest, and many local artists stop by. Then you can cruise on past Waimanalo to Hawai`i Kai and the Kona Brewing Company to catch Led Kaapana and the Ledheads that pack the place every Sunday evening.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  12:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of your suggestions. We're looking forward to hearing some great music.
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  9:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to hearing about what you found and heard.

I was at a birthday party in the backroads of Hau`ula Saturday afternoon with music by Vaihi and also by Cyril Pahinui and Peter Moon Jr.
Watching Cyril do his nahenahe version of "Hi`ilawe"? Priceless.
Go to Top of Page

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  09:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following the advice of LikaNui, we saw the Hau`ula Serenaders play at Crouching Lion Inn. What a great time we had. You were right about Ron - I loved his playing on that composite guitar. I had a chance to talk with him a bit. He uses a tuning (C6) with which I am unfamiliar, but it sounded just terrific. I may have to break a pact with myself against further "tuning proliferation" and look into it a bit.

Thanks for your recommendations. I would love to have attended that birthday party on Saturday!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000