Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Ozzie Kotani: Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style Vol 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  8:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Tetapu,
What you ask for can be a book - and probably is being written. I can only provide a personal list. Here's who I feel influenced me and what I listened to that I think is worth of being mentioned - and it is not complete and I may miss a lot. One must understand that to really appreciate and get the "feeling" for Hawaiian music - you have to listen to the whole spectrum - which I did - and it led to me doing "ballads" and stepping out of the tradition to do so. Here's my list:
Auntie Alice Namakelua - Ka Manu, Paniolo Slack Key, Kananaka, etc.
Henry Kaalekahi - Holau Medley (actually all the early vintage material is worthy of being listened to - see Cord International - the players include Abraham Konanui, George Kainoa, Tommy Blaisdell, Tommy Solomon, etc.)
Leonard Kwan - Hawaiian Chimes, Opihi Moemoe, Nahenahe, Kaneohe/Mama E, Maori Brown Eyes, My Yellow Ginger Lei, etc.
Raymond Kane - Punahele, Waahila, Keiki Slack Key, Meleana E, Ulupalakua, etc.
Fred Punahoa - Punahoa Special, Maunaloa Slack Key
Gabby Pahinui - Hi`ilawe, Slack Key Hula, Waltz Medley, Kaui Beauty, etc.
Atta Isaacs - Sweet Lei Lehua, Ke Anuenue, How Dya Do, Kona Kai Opua, etc.
Sonny Chillingworth - Whee Ha Swing, Slack Key No. 1, Hula Blues, Kaula Ili, None Hula, Malasadas, etc.
Peter Moon - Maori Brown Eyes, Guava Jam, He Hawaii Au, Pua Lilia, etc.
Keola Beamer - In the Real Old Style, Pua Lili Lehua, Sweet Maui Moon, Kaleponi Slack Key, etc.
Ledward Kaapana - Radio Hula, E Liliu e, Maunaloa Slack Key, Punahoa Special, etc.
Cyril Pahinui - Sweet Memories, Nani Ka`ala, He`eia, How'd Ya Do, etc.
George Helm - Kalama Ula, Kamalani O Keaukaha, Kimo Henderson's Hula, etc.
These are most of the artists I listened to a lot - sometimes solo, oftentimes in the context of a group. All contributed great music and fodder for the students like myself. They all influenced me as I learned and tried to play what they were doing. I am so honored to have met and spent time with some of them - full circle when I met Keola who's music pulled me into slack key.
There are so many other artists out there who have contributed and continue to share or record. They include Dennis Kamakahi, George Kuo, Kawika Kahiapo, too many to list. It's too bad you can't hear instrumentals like we used to on the radio - thank God the format was different then and I was able to hear what I did back in the day.
I'm still actively teaching and investing in the future - and creating tablatures as well.
Let me know if I answered your question or not. Sorry but I lost an earlier reply - not sure where it ended up!
Aloha,
Ozzie

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  05:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie

Dear Tetapu,
What you ask for can be a book - and probably is being written. I can only provide a personal list. Here's who I feel influenced me and what I listened to that I think is worth of being mentioned - and it is not complete and I may miss a lot. One must understand that to really appreciate and get the "feeling" for Hawaiian music - you have to listen to the whole spectrum - which I did - and it led to me doing "ballads" and stepping out of the tradition to do so.

It's too bad you can't hear instrumentals like we used to on the radio - thank God the format was different then and I was able to hear what I did back in the day.
I'm still actively teaching and investing in the future - and creating tablatures as well.
Let me know if I answered your question or not. Sorry but I lost an earlier reply - not sure where it ended up!
Aloha,
Ozzie

hey, woo, mahaloz

that's a great list.

that's kind of what i had in mind.. is it chronological? it would be nice if it was

that's more than i was expecting, i was just thinking like a few arrangements that went from the beggining of slack key to the modern era, there probably isnt really a line. like you say there, your list pretty much sets out everyone who contributed their share over the years into making the art what is today

your name belongs on that list as well

small world, I met a guy in China who was your student while he was studying for a few years at UH Manoa. i guess he has his own recording now, i forget his name though, and he's been in China about 8 years now too, such a small world.. the only other Hawaiian at my Highschool in Utah has both of his parents over here with me now.. they were all friends with my family.. so funny, 1.3 billion people in China and I'm just bumping into all kinds of people.

i have to say i felt pretty jealous that he had private lessons with you, but he was quite surprised to learn you had your first book out.

i'll definitely try to take some lessons if i'm back on O'ahu sometime..

when you say you are "investing in the future" are you referring to Culturally, Hawaiian future, or something like to do with your future? i think they're intertwined already... anyway, i thought about maybe i could arrange a workshop or some kind of concert / workshop thing for you, here in China.. but i'm not too sure how to do it all.. if you wouldnt mind, could you tell me some requirements for such an event? you could email me directly if you wouldn't mind, at aloha.com @ gmail.com

just if you have time, or interest..

thanks alot ozzie, for all your great work.. As a native Hawaiian, I really appreciate all you've done.. I'd never really know much about slack key at all if it wasn't for your work

so mahalos, and take care, looking forward to a complete series someday, let us know if there's anything u need to keep things going..

Aloha bra

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  06:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hey, Ozzie, i had one other quick inquiry, while you're on the line here..

Its about composing slack key songs to make a slack-key version of a regular song.

like, maybe there is a Hawaiian song I really like (or Chinese song, or Christmas song), but there is no slack key version of it, how do you compose a song?

do you follow the basic pattern? most slack key i have heard of various songs strays pretty considerably from the main tune.

for instance, in your version of Manuele boy, how did you decide what to write?

it goes "manuela boy, my dear boy you know more ... and then the tune varies to repeat the first line almost, as opposed to the singing of the song, "hilahila.." how it goes up and out..

is that song meant to be sang along to, or is it strictly an instrumental version? and how did you decide how it should go?

and one other aspect i hope u cover some time.. I have Leonard Kwans Red Book, and in it it has a few basic chords charts for the various tunings, and i was wondering if you could teach us how to play our songs we usually sing and play on Uke or regular guitar strumming, but like in the taro patch tuning with only fingerings.

i remeber in your first DVD you talked about "filling out" the chord when you were doing open and closed positions, but there wasnt much detail. the red book's chord charts are also pretty limited.

so, i was also wondering if you might be able to put together a comprehensive chord chart in each of the major tunings, and maybe just teach us how to finger the chord pattern as we play along to our singing, (or sing along to our playing?)

mainly just the main chords like A B C D E F G A7 B7 C7 D7 E7 F7 G7 Am Bm Cm Dm Em Fm Gm, and thats enough,

ok.. anyway, that's alot, ya? i know, but just something i hope can eventually be addressed.. no worries..

ok, mahalos,

take care

thanks again for everything

-aloha

Edited by - Tetapu on 03/16/2010 06:15:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Tetapu,
The list is kind of chronological except George Helm - he was a phenomenal vocalist with a stunning falsetto and utilized his "Moloka`i strum" as a very effective backup. I loved his album so much I had to try and play the songs I listed. I would listen to his version of Kalamaula over and over again.
When I say I'm investing in the future, it just means I'm trying to now teach as much as possible and share my mana`o with my students and provide opportunity - either performance or connecting with other players and musicians. I try to support them as I can and I know they will someday pass on what I have taught them. They are also encouraged to gain their own identity, to compose, to arrange, and to explore new material on their own - as it should be. They also gain respect for earlier players and the tradition we follow in the process.
I learn songs by doing the following. Learn the chordal structure of the song (sometimes I'll capo to the key or apply a tuning just to learn that). I then try and figure out how the melody is played in a tuning. Every tuning has limitations and one has to be able to work a tuning to "open it up." For me, it was Taro Patch or Open G as the main one and I am comfortable in a few other ones. Sonny told me, "It's not how many tunings you can play - it's how many songs you can play in a tuning." Then, once I can state the melody and have decided what tuning to use or was used, I try to variate the melodic line within the chordal structure - as I did in "Manuela Boy." Being an instrumentalist I cannot just depend upon a "pa`ani" section. I try to phrase the language also to keep it Hawaiian. Once the body is done, I decide upon an intro that I feel is such an opportune moment for one to compose and express creative energy. This also applies to how I end a song. There is also consideration to compose a bridge if the structure of the songs is too simple or repetitious. The other tools are modulating to another key, change in tempo, or creating a medley - all, to keep it interesting both for myself and the listener.
That's my formula. I noodled a lot in my younger days to explore phrases, chords (I don't even know what chords they are), and string relationships in tunings - like open and closed positions. By the way, Tetapu, I don't know how to read music and it is limiting when playing with others sometimes but I'm not about to learn and I understand my niche and am very comfortable there. I was meant to play slack key by some fate - it was a calling of sorts. When I got the monkey off my back of seeking acceptance and approval, I just played what sounded good to me! The rest is history now.

Aloha and hope this helps a bit in your efforts.

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  3:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Nui Loa No for that lesson, Ozzie

hey, thankyou so much for sharing all that great mana'o with me, going over the process, that really is very helpful, so nice of you.. that's alot of infomation tht not too many people would probably even know how to communicate

awesome..

i see it's an investment in time in each song, to be able to play it in slack key.

i can't just go to taro patch tuning and start jamming away to the lyrics. it's relieving to hear you can't read music either.. something i was never going to learn to do anyway.. lose the whole spirit of slack key, i think. but i was just thinking of the chords i get from online, just have the letter of the chord of the lyrics.

actually i was just too lazy to tune from Taro Patch to Spanish tuning when i wanted to play and sing a song i knew, taking a break from slack key practice, and i thought i could just learn the chords for the song in open G and just jam out with my lazy self. i also hate tuning from taro patch to spanish too much because i always break my little string.

actually, i have bought a second guitar just for spanish tuning, but it would be nice when i am out of the house to be able to play and sing songs and then do slack key too, without changing the tuning..

that's the main reason i wanted the chord charts, then i kind of also thought there was some magical way to finger the chords like in flamenco or something.. i see guys like pekelo slack-keying there songs, singing like Gabby Pahinui, i thought it was just something he could do anytime, to any song... but i see now that there is nothing magical about it, just an investment in each song you want to play, in each tuning you are planning to use.

is "open G" also key of G? and so the only singing you can do is in the key of G? just wondering, probably someone else can answer that kind of question for me

well, now i see there is no quick road to playing slack key songs. so i am ust going to choose my songs very carefully.

it also explains why there isnt alot of songs which are played in Slack key style, they'd have to compose an entire structure and piece just for each little song they sing.

i think just working on the basics is most important for now, after i get some more ability to embelish and customize songs and work the fret board a little better, I'm sure all that you just said, and that kind of composing, would fall right into place for me

woah.. well, thanks alot, that is truly invaluable to me, i will use that advice all my life.. and pass it on as well

you are truly awesome..

ok, Malama Pono, bruddah..

A Hui Hou

Edited by - Tetapu on 03/16/2010 3:16:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  4:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Tetapu,
My apologies for not addressing the rest of your questions. In regards to playing chords in Taro Patch/Open G, the best resource I have came from my first kumu Peter Medeiros - the Dobro Chord Sheets. I have passed them out frequently in earlier workshops and classes so quite a few should have them out there. The Dobro Tuning is G Major so it all relates to Taro Patch.
To be honest with you, I never really used it much. Many of the chords I hold are "partial" or "colored" to simplify or to get a certain twist in the voicings and I still don't know what chord I'm playing - doesn't matter when you're solo. If I were to play with others who are in standard, I would find out what key, and capo if needs be. There are other chord charts in Drop C, etc. done by others attending workshops and might also be available via the network.
Thanks for the messages Tetapu!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  8:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Many of the chords I hold are "partial" or "colored" to simplify or to get a certain twist in the voicings and I still don't know what chord I'm playing - doesn't matter when you're solo.

Us students affectionately call them "Ozzie chords." For real! Caution, better stretch out your fingers first before attempting.

Ozzie, mahalo for sharing your mana'o. It's so cool to have you posting on Taropatch.

Aloha,
Doug

Edited by - PearlCityBoy on 03/16/2010 8:55:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  01:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ka makana na ka pu`uwai.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  02:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dear Tetapu,
My apologies for not addressing the rest of your questions. In regards to playing chords in Taro Patch/Open G, the best resource I have came from my first kumu Peter Medeiros - the Dobro Chord Sheets. I have passed them out frequently in earlier workshops and classes so quite a few should have them out there. The Dobro Tuning is G Major so it all relates to Taro Patch.
To be honest with you, I never really used it much. Many of the chords I hold are "partial" or "colored" to simplify or to get a certain twist in the voicings and I still don't know what chord I'm playing - doesn't matter when you're solo. If I were to play with others who are in standard, I would find out what key, and capo if needs be. There are other chord charts in Drop C, etc. done by others attending workshops and might also be available via the network.
Thanks for the messages Tetapu!

oh, heh, i thought you did..

ok, so if anyone has the Dobro Chord Sheets, can u let me know where to get em..? that'd be great.

I thought about just making them myself, like just figuring out which strings i gotta hold to make the 3 notes or whatever that comprise a chord, but i always make the chord harder to play than it needs to be for some reason..

i like the capo idea, i have never really used a capo, i usually just change all the chords in the song, but i usually only sing in the keys of G, E, D, something like that..

in fact i have to transpose all my songs into one of those keys anyway

the red book has chords for C, G, D, A, & E, no minors though, just 6ths, 7ths, and 9ths, no doubt thanks the mad guitar scientist Dennis Ladd..

it's not really enough for any key because it lacks minors, but it's a good start

honestly, i never use 6ths, 5ths, or 9ths, even if it calls for them.

but minors.. that would be nice

and then i just capo for the kind of song I'm playing I guess.

so, when you do know the chords, are you strumming or are you doing some kind of finger picking pattern? is it just some basic alternating bas, pinch plucking with some other regular plucking, kind of just as you like?

you probably know every sound every string is going to make on every fret before you pluck it.. for me, i just guess, and i always guess wrong.

in fact, i dont even know how to do any kind of picking patterns, except some of the Carter Family patterns, i just strum, play the guitar kinda like an ukulele, or a tahitan banjo..

but anyway, Mahalo once again for all those helpful tips

i feel like i'm getting private lessons here... heh

aloha

Edited by - Tetapu on 03/17/2010 02:21:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  06:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tunings, including chord charts for open G among others: http://www.taropatch.net/tunings.htm

Tuning applet, can be downloaded - plug in the tuning, choose the chord and color, see all the notes: http://www.taropatch.net/tuning_applet.htm

It's possible to play in any key in any tuning - you can play in E flat in open G tuning. It's just a pain in the fingers.

With a capo it's possible to play in any tuning in any key, but you can run out of neck as you move the capo up the neck.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  12:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all how do I go about getting Vol 1 & Vol 2 of Ozzies??? Here in Canada. Vavcover Is. Chip
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  7:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, chip.

You can get these from Ozzie here.

Or, if you prefer, you can link to other sites (I know Amazon carries the video, at least) here, or by clicking the "Links" button at the top of this page. Doing so will help support this site.
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  7:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, I went to Ozzies site, there is no mention of volume 2, I want to get both volumes, i. e. 1&2 to save on shipping, I don`t use pay pal,& want to pay by credit card, so need a phone number to order,& would like to support the site. Am I missing something on the site for ordering?? Thanks again. Chip.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  04:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Let me check on Volume 2. I think that Ozzie ran a limited run on DVD II. The plan was to do a limited edition on the full length DVD and then split it into two separate DVDs for the next release.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  1:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy, will wait till I hear from you, or others. Chip
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic