Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Ozzie Kotani: Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style Vol 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  6:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Claudia! I will have "Liloa's Mele (Grandson's Lullabye)" posted next. It will be handwritten though - haven't quite gotten the hang of Guitar Pro 5 yet.

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  8:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Ozzie, Your handwriting is incredibly neat, so who needs Guitar Pro? Thank you SO MUCH for Liloa's Mele. I know you tabbed this Sonny song for your Hilo students - I feel like the lucky "extension" student who gets to learn the song with them (OK, so its a 5,000+ mile extension...) Mahalo Nui Loa!
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  06:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tablature for Liloa's Mele (Grandson's Lullabye) by Sonny Chillingworth will be posted at my website shortly - it will be handwritten but legible (thanks Claudia!) and free. I also feel better after talking to Andy about changes in topics so although this started as an announcement to the new DVD, feel free to ask me anything regarding my music or slack key. I will post when my webmaster let's me know and I will talk about the piece. Aloha!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie,
If you like, I can take your scanned handwritten tab and enter it into Sibelius G7 with tablature and muisc notation (all copyrights noted) and return to you as a PDF and MP3 for validation and checking, then for posting. From the example I sent you before, it shouldn't take long at all. Send me the jpg or pdf of the handwritten file, if you desire.
Mika'ele

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  11:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oz, mucho thanks for posting that, love the song!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  4:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tablature is now posted on my website. Thanks so much Mike, but I think it is fine - don't want too many versions out there and it means I'll have to proof, etc. I've had a problem in the past with someone removing my name and putting theirs on it - hate to deal with stuff like that but people do things - probably unintentionally. The reason this is a good song is that Sonny uses only two bass notes per measure initially - later he goes into his syncopated pattern and later goes back to the pattern with that beautiful "space" - no need to get all fancy. Incidentally, any song with a syncopated bass can be played "straight" or with regular alternation. In the dvd there's a section on alternate bass patterns which relates to what Sonny does. By the way, tabs are a reference, one should feel free to change it (ideally after being able to play it but also in the case where one measure or phrase is problematic). This is where the sensitivity begins to show - play an alternate vamp or mix and match phrases. Main thing, have fun! Happy to share and open to input.

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2010 :  4:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Lee,
You're very welcome and I'm glad you like the piece! Happy to share as Sonny did with me.
Ozzie

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2010 :  5:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Ozzie,
Have had your dvd for a week now and love it. Everybody needs a copy. It is first rate in every way. Connie sends her fond aloha. Jim Garson

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  05:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Ozzie,

I got the Liloa's Mele tab from your website - mahalo nui loa!

I have always been interested in the way Sonny does that syncopated bass, so that is why I taught myself Mahina's Trot last year. But when I tried to tackle Liloa's Mele, I got very confused with the bass line (because Sonny turns the syncopation on and off throughout the song) and my fingers kept trying to fill things in where they weren't supposed to be. I gave up.

But now I have your tab in front of me and your comments in this forum and I am untangling my fingers and finally understanding this piece better. This is a big help and I thank you so much, Ozzie!

me ke aloha,
Claudia
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  08:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim! Haven't seen you and Connie now for a while but hold your images clear in my mind - my sincerest aloha to you both!! You have always been a wonderful player Jim, I appreciate your kind comments and support and wish you the very best always. Dear Claudia - I'm glad it helped - yes, Sonny changes the bass pattern and it's so subtle - Lance Cordoni played it for me and I decided to tab it for the last Hilo workshop in December. Great knowing my kumu's music is alive and well and appreciated and played by so many. The syncopation if counted in 4/4 is ONE and two AND three and FOUR with the bass landing on the emphasis thereby eliminating one bass (ONE and TWO and THREE and FOUR). That's why I'm comfortable switching back and forth in my earlier statement - make sense? Main thing, have fun!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  09:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Claudia -
Can I ask where you found the tab? When I go to http://www.ozziekotani.com, the only tab I find anywhere is Music for Dreaming. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong.

Ozzie -
Mahalo for all that you do to share this art. I really enjoy your instructional book, CD & DVD and of course your amazing performance CDs. Your generosity with your time, talent and knowledge are inspiring.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  10:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Ben,
Click on Slack Key Tablature in the top menu bar and Liloa's Mele should now have replaced Music for Dreaming. Thank you for your kind message. Aloha, Ozzie

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2010 :  2:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie -

Thank you so much.

For the benefit of others whose browser does not reflect known changes to a site, I think my problem may have been a cookie from Firefox that overrode checking for an update to the site. I found the tab using IE, then re-checked Firefox only to find it still showed Music for Dreaming. Cleared history; restarted the browser; problem solved.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2010 :  08:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is the correct link:
http://www.ozziekotani.com/Liloas_Mele.pdf

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  05:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to have a list of tabs from songs that Ozzie feels shaped Hawaiian Slack Key into what is today.

from the earliest and most simple of arrangements to any notable pieces which furthered the art within Hawaiian Culture.

kind of a historical run through of classic pieces

and even some of the old slack key songs that accompanied a lot of singing, that sort of thing.

just kind of a tribute or a nostalgic remembering of the most culturally important pieces. simple little pieces, whatever Ozzie may feel warrants inclusion for the Perpetuation of the historical aspects of this Art.

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000