Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 What brand strings are you using on your ʻukulele?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  7:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What brand strings are you using on your ʻukulele? If "Other", please post what you are using.

This poll comes at the request of hapuna who originally posted here: Best Brand of Uke String??

Choices:

Aquila
Hilo
Worth
GHS
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  8:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This poll needs to allow multiple entries, as I use two of the brands listed here, Worth & Aquila.
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  9:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too use Worth & Aquila. Since I dislike the fast wear of the Aquila wound low g, I use Fremont flourocarbon low g.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  03:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah I think Retro has a point. It seems few folks have just one ukulele.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  09:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'm in the same camp--I use the best strings for each individual instrument. I'm even more picky than that--I'll change to a different kind of strings for a specific purpose, like a recording project or gig, if I think it'll make a difference.

Basically, it's like this:

Po Mahina Island Jazz tenor--usually Guadalupe Custom Strings hand wound hi G, sometimes low G. Mulit-colored, cuz they look cool. Or Aquila hi G. I love the way it sounds and plays with either set, but I'm not a fan of the Aquila wound low G set-- very unbalanced.

MyaMoe Tenor Resonator -- D'addarios. Surprised the heck out of me, but nothing else I put on it sounded good. They are basically the top 4 strings of a high tension classical guitar set.

Maybelle Banjo-uke--Guadalupe Custom Strings color monofilament. Yep, they look just like the old multi-colored strings ya used to be able to get for yer plastic ukes in the 60s. Sound good, too.

Annie's got a set a Worths on one of her ukes that someone insisted we try. They are fine.

On the pineapple concert she made at the Aloha Camp she's got Guadalupe Custom Strings hand wounds. Really brings out the voice in the little puppy.

This is the one that gets played the most cuz it hangs in the kitchen. Put on the beans, strum the uke....

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  4:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KoAloha has their own strings which are very much like Worth strings. I don't think they have a name for them but they are just as good if not a hair better than the Worth strings.

For me, the Aquila strings have a very nice sound but they feel . . . "like corduroy". The have a texture which inhibits slides.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Pmahany
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  4:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a combination of Savarez 541-3 R and a Worth low G .0433 gauge. No wound strings. There are extreme differences in how a set of strings can sound from Uke to Uke. Player, Strings, Style, Instrument and Environment all make a difference. I have the same set up on two different ukes and they sound way different. The Saverez will last me about 2 to 3 months.

Honokowai Pete
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  5:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use D'Addario Porte Arte's strings on both my Pono Concert and my Kala Sprucetop Concert 'Ukulele.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  11:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Black strings look nice. Otherwise, I really don't care.

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 02/10/2010 11:31:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

olu143
Aloha

21 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  10:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Send olu143 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use Salvarez Nylon wound nylon classical strings on my Ovation. My other Ukes' have Aquilla, GHS custom shop low G, Old school Kamaka strings, etc. Each Uke is paired with a specific set of strings each unique to it's purpose. (Recording, kanikapila, indoor,outdoor, acoustic, electric, Slack Key, etc.) As well as sound projection, intonation, and so on. Only 3 of my Ukes are 'general purpose' ukes. The rest were selected based on their unique abilities. =)

Feed a man a fish you feed him for a day.
Teach him how to fish you feed him for the rest of his life.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  2:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently put Kala Reds on a concert uke and they sound great. In my low G set, the first string is plain red monofilament, the second is wound monofilament (kind of unusual), third string is a wound and the fourth string is low G wound, but smaller than the C strings. Balance is amazing.

Here's a video with my cheap Lanikai concert and Kala Red strings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oVkzQGGMGk

Jesse

Edited by - hapakid on 03/13/2010 09:23:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  3:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanda's concert & my tenor, both Kala Brands, came from Music Guy Mike with Aquilla's. We haven't changed yet. The banjo-uke I have had steel on it, but one of the keiki bought me a set of Martin nylon, so that's whats on there. It sounds so harsh I rarely play it.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  3:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind that we have not tried any other strings to compare the sound. And when I do change them, they may be so old & dead that an fair comparison may not be possible. No research has gone into what we have on our uke's.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
Akahai

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  05:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Elaine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

We use the DaKine Line strings. They are made from the same fluorocarbon material as the Worth clear medium strings, but are made by my 14-year-old son, Taylor. (It helps support his music habit and 'ukulele acquistion syndrome.)

We actually did a side-by-side comparison of the DaKine Line strings vs nylon Hilo strings on two identical ukuleles (Ohana SK 25's) and the overall improvement in tone on the ukulele with the DaKine Line strings was amazing. I also put a set on my flea and, to my delight, found that in addition to improving the tone, I very rarely had to re-tune my 'ukulele. (I also have them on my KoAloha soprano)

But, Taylor's main interest for using fluorocarbon in the first place was that he could get a low-G without having to use a wound string, so he didn't get the zipping sound you sometimes get with wound strings.

If anyone is interested in trying these out (and helping a struggling musician), you can purchase them at www.dakineline.com .

Elaine

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000