Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Kine Bass
 Hawaiian Kine Bass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 3

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  5:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
so is this the home-made kine bass or what?

i saw a nice acoustic bass Guitar, anyone have any experience playing with that?

i think it was a 4 string, nice full-size Guitar body, no-pick up though, what do u guys think about performing with that kind of bass?

i like it more than the electric bass, and its way more convenient than a stand-up bass

but i just got to play it in an exhibition hall, it was so noisy and big that i couldnt really hear it very well

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  07:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tetapu

so is this the home-made kine bass or what?

i saw a nice acoustic bass Guitar, anyone have any experience playing with that?

i think it was a 4 string, nice full-size Guitar body, no-pick up though, what do u guys think about performing with that kind of bass?

i like it more than the electric bass, and its way more convenient than a stand-up bass

but i just got to play it in an exhibition hall, it was so noisy and big that i couldnt really hear it very well

There are several makers of "acoustic" bass guitars: Martin, Taylor, and others. Gary Aiko plays a Martin with an embedded pickup. He says he likes it because it's easier to lug around to and from gigs, and it sounds very much like a bass viol.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  09:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without a pickup it would be very hard to gig with it. Would need to mic it and then you would need to stay right there at the mic and not move. Even with unplugged kanikapila, it might not be loud enough depending on the number of players and environment. Probably not worth it unless you install a pick up.

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  04:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ya, thanks you guys, i kind of figured it would be a bit worthless without a pickup..

bass really needs good resonance tone.. electric basses can replace stand ups because they are always plugged in.. i didnt really see how an acoustic would fill in for either one ... but i imagine that with a pick up its probably alot better sounding bossanova / Hawaiian music than an electric bass. i would imagine its the next best thing to an upright when its amped

Edited by - Tetapu on 03/16/2010 04:49:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  07:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are pickups available which can be added to the instrument by a good luthier. Most bigger dealers here do such work. If the instrument sounds and plays well, and the price is right, lack of a pickup shouldn't be the deciding factor, unless you have another similar one in mind, and that's the largest difference between them. A lot of players have pickups added to guitars, violins, banjos, etc.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  11:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also look into an electric upright bass which emulates the feel and sound (some better than others) of an acoustic upright bass in a portable package. More and more hawaiian groups are getting into these as the sound is kinda in between and true acoustic and an electric bass and you don't need a truck to carry it around. I've been wanting one but nobody really carries them here in the islands.

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  11:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi -

I've got a Tacoma Thunder Chief. Picked it up used on eBay. Great bass & even better plugged in. Cost me around 8 C notes.

I've seen a couple bass players in Hawaii using them---sorry, can't recall their names right off hand.

Many of the inexpensive acoustic bass guitars by Michael Kelly, Rogue, Dean etc etc. simply aren't worth the money. No tone, no bottom, lousy pickups.

Martins are nice, but more dough and, for my taste, not as good acoustically.

Or check out Kona Bob's Kona Walking Bass (is that right, Bob?) They are great-- lightweight, EZ to play, look cool, and sound huge.

Go to Top of Page

Tommy
Akahai

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  1:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha-
Just want to say that I love the Walking Bass. When I play it--people smile--no one more than me. One of the best purchases I've ever made!
Tommy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  1:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy

Aloha-
Just want to say that I love the Walking Bass. When I play it--people smile--no one more than me. One of the best purchases I've ever made!
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

I didn't get a chance to tell how great you sounded on the walking stick bass the last two times that I've seen you!!!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  6:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You can also look into an electric upright bass which emulates the feel and sound (some better than others) of an acoustic upright bass in a portable package. More and more hawaiian groups are getting into these as the sound is kinda in between and true acoustic and an electric bass and you don't need a truck to carry it around. I've been wanting one but nobody really carries them here in the islands."

Au contraire, amigo. Well, maybe can't find one right now, but. I bought an Azola Bugbass ( http://www.azola.com/sys-tmpl/bugbass/ ) several years ago from Harry's Music in Kaimuki. Went in to buy strings for my electric 5-string, saw the Azola, salesman saw me looking and forced me to try it out, I stepped outside for a smoke before deciding to spend over a thousand bucks, walked back in and the salesman was already writing up the invoice. Great bass for travelling interisland to the slack key festivals and other gigs -- flight attendants usually thought it was so pretty that they'd store it in their own closet inside the cabin.
The Caz saw it at one gig. Roland loved it but Robert didn't; he said he would never ever switch from his traditional upright. Heh.
I enjoyed the bass for a couple of years until Milan Bertosa made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Wanna guess who bought it from Milan? Yep. Robert Cazimero.
That's the same bass that Wayne Harada mentioned in the Caz review that was posted here on TP a couple of days ago.
Oh, and someone mentioned having problems finding the right spots on a fretless. The Azola had no markings at all, so I put single drops of WhiteOut on the side of the neck in the appropriate places, and I could feel the bumps without looking. Worked great.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  8:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am no longer using the word "stick" as part of the name... thanks to lawyers. The Kona Walkingbass is a three string EUB that is tuned to an open G. Most bass players can't wrap their heads around that, but folks like Tommy, or Maggie Matoba - who start fresh - figure it out really quickly. I just finished 10 new koa and 2 new mango Kona Walkingbasses. I will try to get some pictures together in the next few days. If you would like a preview emailed to you, let me know.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  03:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Konabob

I am no longer using the word "stick" as part of the name... thanks to lawyers. The Kona Walkingbass is a three string EUB that is tuned to an open G. Most bass players can't wrap their heads around that, but folks like Tommy, or Maggie Matoba - who start fresh - figure it out really quickly. I just finished 10 new koa and 2 new mango Kona Walkingbasses. I will try to get some pictures together in the next few days. If you would like a preview emailed to you, let me know.
Aloha,
-Konabob

hey, that is very cool, it sounds really great too... but still need electricity..

what about if you put some kind of like round drum on the bottom, with a puka in it, or some kind of like uke-sized body at the bottom, just for back up use if there is no electricity?

would a little drum thing at the bottom behind the strings make any sort of sound for just regular use?

something like a washtub bass kind of thing

anyway, it sounds great plugged in, very nice

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  06:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Konabob

The Kona Walkingbass is a three string EUB that is tuned to an open G. Most bass players can't wrap their heads around that, but folks like Tommy, or Maggie Matoba - who start fresh - figure it out really quickly.
Bob - I am SO glad you said that! As a bass player, I did have trouble with the one I got to try out, and I figured it was just my own lack of experience. It is tough to adjust in a short period of time, though I suspect given enough practice, it would work for me.

It's a beautiful instrument, however, with a lovely feel/look/sound, and the non-bassists I know who have played it generally rave about how easy it is for them to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  06:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Retro,
It's the same thing that guitarists face when they start trying to play slack key. Many never make the jump. But if you play in taropatch, this bass is right there for you.

Tetapu, what you need is a Heftone. I saw one at the New York Ukulele Festival. Very cool. I would hate to have to travel with one however.

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  08:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maggie Matoba, down in Eugene, has one and plays it well. It sounds great, tho an amp IS required. KonaBob - If you ever want to make a 4 string version again, I'll buy one.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  09:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if no mo electricity, get planny battery powered amps now a days.

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000