Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "How'd Ya Do"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  06:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note: In backcycling, play the Vm of the chord you would normally play as a Vm6, not a Vm7. The effect is like a 9th chord. Thus: G7 to C becomes Dm6-G7-C.
Go to Top of Page

nick_borho
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  08:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick_borho's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I learned the song in open D from Cyril a couple of years ago. I recall he said he played bass on the Gabby Band 2 recording of that song. I have also seen Makana do it in open D or E (same structure of tuning). The song can - and has been - done in several tunings.

Nick Borho
Kona
http://www.nickborho.com
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  12:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny that I wandered into this discussion - I've been trying to learn this song based on Bryan Tolentino's excellent version on "Ka `Ukulele Lele." Here's what I figured out last week (roughly - still a work in progress):

Bm7 E7 Bm7 E7 A C#m7 F#m7 (you could also play an A dim there)
Bm7 E7 Bm7 E7 A F A
Em7 A7 Em7
Am7 D7 Am7
Bm7 E7 Bm7 E7 A F A

[warning - key change]

Gm7 C7 (or C9) Gm7 C7 (or C9) F Am7 Cdim
Gm7 C7 Gm7 C7 F Db F
Cm7 F7 Cm7
Fm7 Bb7 Fm7
Gm7 C7 Gm7 C7 F Db F
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  1:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Momi.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  12:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Momi,
Thank you so much for sharing what you've learned, it's just what I needed and sounds really good in the open C tuning. I do not play ukulele but any slack key questions you might have, that I can answer, will ilicit an immediate response........guarantee!
Allan (b3d)

b3d
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2010 :  08:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Momi. I stay Seattle now after a month on the road. Thanks for the chords. I agree. btw, the first set of changes, in A, are played in B11, and the second, in C, are played in C6 with a G on the top on the steel guitar.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2010 :  07:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Foget to say: On Jerry Byrd's recording, he shifts from A to C so Atta Isaacs can play his solo, then back to A for ending.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  05:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is on Alan Akaka's new steel guitar CD...Simply Steel - Songs of Old Hawai`i
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cllWVRwDV5A

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  08:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

This is on Alan Akaka's new steel guitar CD...Simply Steel - Songs of Old Hawai`i
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cllWVRwDV5A

Yeah, Wanda. Did you get it from Alan? If you see him (in any case, by all means, go to the Moana Terrace tormorrow night to see the Keave Family), say hi for me. This CD is a boon to all Hawaiian steelers. My favorite to play and hear is "Paradise Found(Hana)", which he helped me so much with. He includes the steel tuning on each cut.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  11:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been a challenge for me, which goes to the back burner every time.

I wrote out a Makana version...in music, but...
but am frustrated, fingerings seem a little challenging in F Wahine
still can't play it--so far!

done in F,C,E,G,C,E. if my memory works...Big maybe!
and was using 12/8 time to write the syncopated parts...
think I'll go back to the Gabby and Isaacs versions,

So, what original recording might be THE BEST WAY to start with the Old Masters...?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  07:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

This has been a challenge for me, which goes to the back burner every time.

I wrote out a Makana version...in music, but...
but am frustrated, fingerings seem a little challenging in F Wahine
still can't play it--so far!

done in F,C,E,G,C,E. if my memory works...Big maybe!
and was using 12/8 time to write the syncopated parts...
think I'll go back to the Gabby and Isaacs versions,

So, what original recording might be THE BEST WAY to start with the Old Masters...?

On Jerry Byrd's version (History of the Hawaiian Steel Guitar is a good source CD) Atta Isaacs plays it in C, while Jerry plays it in A. The Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band, V2, has Gabby doing it, starting on guitar in C and coming in on steel half way (although it may be Atta, again, on slack key - some of that album was done in the studio, with Gabby overdubbing himself).

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  06:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to get Bryan's version down too. Thanks for the info~

quote:
Originally posted by Momi

Funny that I wandered into this discussion - I've been trying to learn this song based on Bryan Tolentino's excellent version on "Ka `Ukulele Lele." Here's what I figured out last week (roughly - still a work in progress):

Bm7 E7 Bm7 E7 A C#m7 F#m7 (you could also play an A dim there)
Bm7 E7 Bm7 E7 A F A
Em7 A7 Em7
Am7 D7 Am7
Bm7 E7 Bm7 E7 A F A

[warning - key change]

Gm7 C7 (or C9) Gm7 C7 (or C9) F Am7 Cdim
Gm7 C7 Gm7 C7 F Db F
Cm7 F7 Cm7
Fm7 Bb7 Fm7
Gm7 C7 Gm7 C7 F Db F

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  07:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All the versions mentioned above are surreptitiously avoiding royalties to the original composer.. FWIW..
The Jerry Byrd version is far removed from the original, and it's probably only popular because the tab is so readily available.
Wrong in two respects, the totally unconnected intro (Actually and adaptation of the Andy Iona intro to "Getting Sentimental Over You" ... and also the misspelling of the COPYRIGHTED version's title.

In spelling it the way one would assume it's meant to be, the royalties will actually go to whomsoever recorded a version with that misspelled title. NOTHING will go to the original writers writers (Andrew Iona Long/Lew Pollock) SHAME on those concerned for that bit of devious copyright manoeuvring.

It's one of the classics from the 30’s that endured and became synonymous with Hawaiian Steel Guitars, and is the subject of the tablature in this June's issue of Aloha Dream .
The definitive version being the Jules Keliikuihonua Ah See version featured on so many broadcasts and also on the Capitol album “Waikîkî ” T772.
THIS one.

Recorded originally by Andy Iona and his Orchestra:
Song Title: How'd Ya Do
Performer: Andy Iona and his Orchestra
Record Company: Columbia
Label Number: 35846 (Alb C-39 7/8)
Country/City: United States / New York, NY
Publication Date: 1940-06-06
Matrix Number: LA 2243-A

NOTE: The correct title (Above), oft now misspelled as ‘How D’Ya Do’. (Deliberately ?)
The above version was an instrumental, later recordings
featured lyrics.

Read what I have to say and see the tab of the Jules' version HERE

All in all 'tis a Fine "How D'Ya Do" methinks..

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/22/2013 04:51:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  09:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Titles cannot be "owned" by US copyright, sorry. You can use "Yesterday" or "Blue Hawai`i" for the title of your own composition with no risk. The copyright applies to the melody regardless of the title, and there's a rule about the number of consecutive notes that constitutes infringement. Enforcement is accomplished by civil action, so there must be a party with rights and sufficient motivation to bring suit. George Harrison could have given you more specific details based on his court experience.

This is expanded somewhat in the modern era by the automated tools used to enforce DMCA on sharing sites like YouTube.

And, of course, copyright is a national issue and varies by the jurisdiction.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  6:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bas - I try to play as closely as I can Jules' version. I agree about Jerry's version. He even changed the tuning so he could get a chord at the end.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000