Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Makana interview in Dutch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sellars
Aloha

Netherlands
30 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  09:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any Dutch people on the forum?

In the Dutch magazine Gitarist is an interview with Makana on slack key guitar (see http://gitarist.nl/releases/release.php?relNR=78b7d5f5265676ebac22d58c0e090176 for content)

I've always been crazy but that's kept me from going insane (W.J.)

Playing: Ukulele, Slack key guitar, Mandolin

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  7:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a rough translation for the little blurb there in "Gitarist.nl":

"Joe Satriani praises him and the manager of Kiss would like to make a rock star out of him. But Makana stays true to himself. "Money and fame could never displace the cultural norms and values with which I was raised."
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  6:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dr. Cookie,

Didn't know you were Dutch. I still speak it but very little. My sister and I sometimes banter back and forth, and that's great fun...

Julie

How's cold Lakewood?
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  10:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Julie!

Yes, first I learned Dutch . . . and now Hawaiian . . . I guess I'm on some kind of a quest to learn all the truly universal languages . . .

Lakewood was in the 80's last week, then it dropped 20 degress and started raining . . . then I left for Hawai`i, so who cares about the weather back home anymore??! Well. except for me again next week. I know you didn't ask, but it's just wonderful in Honolulu at the moment :)

Don

Don

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  07:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dr. cookie

Lakewood was in the 80's last week, then it dropped 20 degress and started raining . . . then I left for Hawai`i, so who cares about the weather back home anymore??! Well. except for me again next week. I know you didn't ask, but it's just wonderful in Honolulu at the moment :)

Don

Someone turned off the faucet, and it's warm again. Headed for the 90's by Sunday. It always seems to rain for Seafare. Must be those hippie wiccans hexing it. If you're on Oahu, you should try to find the Certo's.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  1:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you get anywhere near Patrick Landeza, you won't have to look for us very long, or very hard.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  1:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess most of you know that Makana is playing shows at the International Marketplace, but do you know the ticket prices?

Ready?

Are you sitting down?

$125.
No typo. $125, according to an item in today's newspaper.
Sorry, but for that amount I'd expect 10 tickets, not just one.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you sure?
Something is off here. It sounds kind of bogus, even for Waikiki.
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  4:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

Are you sure?
Something is off here. It sounds kind of bogus, even for Waikiki.

It's in the TGIF section of today's paper, page 18. Not up on their website yet.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  5:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep - on Makana's own website:
"Dinner and show tickets range from $95 to $125 per person. Children 4-11 are $55 and children 3 and under are free. Call for KAMA’AINA pricing."
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  7:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With prices that high, I think we can assume that the International Market gig is not for Kama'ainas. That would be a very expensive date. I think it may be targeted towards the more upscale tourist who wants to experience a luau. Of course the locals here already know where to go for good Hawaiian food and music -- Dukes house.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  04:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gandule rice! Go Duke!
Some may be satisfied to play for "limited" audiences.
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  2:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's "GanDukie Rice" our favorite!!
Go to Top of Page

dragonfly213
Akahai

66 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  04:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit dragonfly213's Homepage  Reply with Quote
must be a fundraiser (those are Hollywood prices ppl!!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000