Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 'contemporary' slack key
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bau
Lokahi

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  4:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enCbvn9_-nk

any opinions on this style?

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  5:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Opinions? Yeah - it's good music, played well, by an excellent guitarist. I like that, served best without labels.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  02:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, everyone knows me. I have an opinion about EVERYTHING. In this instance, I have no problem if it is called contemporary slack key. This man is very talented. I have seen him in person and I applaud his talent and the way he entertains. I do not think even he would try to categorize his music. He has a diverse background that defies categorization.

Auntie appreciates his talent. Not "traditional" slack key, but great talent none the less.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  03:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Against the advice above, I will classify this song. This is NOT a slack key piece but a contemporary "Fingerstyle" composition in an altered tuning. It is also not an original for LT Smooth as the poster thinks. It is in fact a song by two-time fingerstyle champion guitarist Don Ross and it is called "Klimbim".
I doubt that LT claims this to be his original and it was the poster that made the mistake.
Don Ross is a fabulously gifted guitar player! LT ain't so bad either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBwM9VqmxQE

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 08/25/2010 03:14:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  07:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bau doesn't say anything about authorship of the song, he only asks opinions on the style.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  07:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

It is also not an original for LT Smooth as the poster thinks. It is in fact a song by two-time fingerstyle champion guitarist Don Ross and it is called "Klimbim".
I doubt that LT claims this to be his original and it was the poster that made the mistake.
Don Ross is a fabulously gifted guitar player! LT ain't so bad either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBwM9VqmxQE

quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Bau doesn't say anything about authorship of the song, he only asks opinions on the style.
I believe Haole_Boy was referring to the info on the YouTube video, where it says: "Original composition by LT Smooth on slack key guitar."

And I agree - Don Ross is an outstanding guitarist, too.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Labels do matter--that's why we put them on pill bottles. And categories, devised with care, are useful constructions. The YouTube poster seems to have a less than firm grip on what constitutes "slack key guitar," whether "contemporary" or "traditional"--see how she labels the "Ghost Riders in the Sky" clip she put up, and how Fran Guidry corrects her. A beginner who wanted to explore slack key would not be helped by colleeninhonolulu's labeling of some of her YouTube posts.

It may be my academic training or maybe just my obsessive-compulsive streak, but I like to make distinctions and generally organize my understanding of things. Now if I could just organize my office and find all my notes. . . .
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  08:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell Letson

Labels do matter--that's why we put them on pill bottles. And categories, devised with care, are useful constructions. The YouTube poster seems to have a less than firm grip on what constitutes "slack key guitar," whether "contemporary" or "traditional"--see how she labels the "Ghost Riders in the Sky" clip she put up, and how Fran Guidry corrects her. A beginner who wanted to explore slack key would not be helped by colleeninhonolulu's labeling of some of her YouTube posts.

It may be my academic training or maybe just my obsessive-compulsive streak, but I like to make distinctions and generally organize my understanding of things. Now if I could just organize my office and find all my notes. . . .

I used to have a button I wore just below my badge at work. It said, "Recovering Analyitc"

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  08:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...and I occasionally suffer from CDO.

It's a lot like OCD, except that the letters are in alphabetical order, like they should be!

Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  6:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everything in its proper place, that's the way I like it. I'm still trying to apply it to my office. Any year now--
Go to Top of Page

Bau
Lokahi

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  09:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thnks for all the opinions. i didn't know waht to make of that video myself.The guitarist is very good impressive, but it didn't seem like slack key as I have been perceiving it but I'm a noob to it. It does seem very much 'fingerstyle' with a lot of differnt influences , slack key, but a rock kind of sound sort fusion I guess was my impression.

and this brings me to another question if I may. What elements define slack key? And tradtional vs contemporary? Its obviously not just about the tuning....

I don't mind labels up to a point it , they can be useful to describe things. as long as they are not taken too seriously or a source of musical predudice.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  09:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slack Key sounds like Hawai'i. Peter Medeiros says that when it is played, one should be able to "hear" an ipu, even when no ipu is physically present. To play a culture's music, one should evoke at least some of the culture. LT is a good picker, though.

Edited by - thumbstruck on 08/26/2010 09:24:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  11:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bau

and this brings me to another question if I may. What elements define slack key? And tradtional vs contemporary? Its obviously not just about the tuning....
The answer to this question is personal and differs depending who you ask. Is it rooted in tradition? Lineage - i.e. who did you learn from? Does it have elements characteristic of the tradition, e.g. alternating bass? Is it blood quantum? Is it where you were born?

I generally do not like labels. Or debating what is traditional or progressive. However, I feel strongly enough to say that the youtube link cannot be defined as slack key. There is not a doubt in my mind.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Bau
Lokahi

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  04:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the alternating bass and the challenge of harmonising the melody with that is one of the things that I realy like about kiho'alu.

I would think that paying respect to tradition and roots of the music would be most important. When i work on a song written by someone else I always want to know about the life and history of the person who wrote it, and how they would have done it.
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  2:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"What is slack key" is about the scariest question that you can ask on this forum. open one beeg can o worms. It has to have been written by Liluokalani and played by Gabby :)
Really-just kidding!!!
Aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Bau
Lokahi

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  6:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry , I'll take away worms and go fishing instead ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000