Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Aia i ka Maui
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keahiloa
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  5:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone have the lyrics or mana'o for the mele "Aia i ka Maui"? Uncle Moe Keale as well as The Sons of Ni'ihau recorded this mele written by Soloman Kaopio. mahalo nui!

me ke aloha

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  10:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Keahiloa,

I found this online. E kala mai, I am not familiar with the mele. I don't think the transcription is totally accurate (I corrected some obvious typos), but I hope it helps.I heard it was an old Ni'ihau song about a one-masted ship named the Maui -- with double meanings I expect. I added a general mana'o in brackets, which someone more knowledgeable than me can revise or add to. (I may be misunderstanding, but to me it sounds like a woman singing about her sailor man who probably has a pretty nice mast himself.)
You can check out a Merrie Monarch hula performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o_9rYgO6XM
Hope this helps...
aloha,
Sarah
~~~
Aia I Ka Maui

Aia i ka Maui la 'auhea mai
Ku`u lei mokihana i ke kia mua. [On the Maui is my mokihana lei of the single mast]

Ho`opili ka Maui, a pili ka uwapo
`Oni malihini au me ku'u aloha. [The Maui approaches up to the pier, I meet my love]

`A`ole no wau he wahine u`i
Ka mea e like aku me ka mahina. [I am not a beautiful woman of lovely complexion]

`Anai ka makua nui pu'ipu'i
He neia selamoku a i ho`okano. [?? e kala mai, not clear enough on this verse to comment]

Ha`ina `ia mai ana ka puana
Ku`u lei mokihana i ke kia mua.

Edited by - Sarah on 08/18/2010 11:01:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  7:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Keahiloa and Sarah--

I listened to my copy of Moe Keale's version of this mele and to the YouTube video Sarah referenced. Moe's lyrics are as Sarah listed. The YouTube video seems to begin with two verses from another song. The only other difference is that its third verse begins with the phrase "`A`ohe no wau he wahine..." rather than "`A`ole no wau he wahine...". My grammar knowledge is too poor to understand the difference fully.

Moe Keale describes this mele as referring to a Ni`ihauan man who travels from Kaua`i to Honolulu on the Maui. The man fears that a ship that big "made of metal" could not float.

Sarah, I wonder if the makua in the fourth verse has the sense of a "main stalk of a plant" and also refers to the ship's mast, in this case a "large, stout" metal mast that has to be rubbed or polished. I will leave it to others to explain the meaning of that one.

In the past I have wondered about another "selamoku" who is described as "ho`okano" in the last verse of the mele "Kawaihae". Now I see that he made it to Kaua`i. Like you, I will be interested to hear if anyone else can explain the mele further.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  10:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Keahiloa, hope you and the 'Ohana are well. If this helps any?

I think you know these people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfRfhT-9qDw

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  10:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ʻAʻohe would mean does not have and ʻaʻole nō would mean am not. The verse could mean , if ʻaʻohe is the word, I donʻt have a wife as beautiful as the moon might be the meaning in English..

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2010 :  5:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Al. Grammar is hard. That's why I try never to use it in English.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000