Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Touring Kaleponi with Mr. Kaapana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  06:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's less than a week now until the masterful Mr. Ledward Kaapana begins his fall tour of the US West Coast. I have learned from a reliable source that he will have a new CD available, so that's an extra reason to be sure to catch the show nearest you.

His first show is September 21st in Seattle at the Triple Door, where he's appearing with Willie K. That will be followed by a stop in Port Townsend on the 22nd. Get the details at Led's concert schedule: http://www.ledkaapana.com/concerts.htm

I'll be opening the California shows, starting with Guerneville, the Old Grove Festival on Sep. 25. This is a two day festival with Ledward topping the bill on Saturday. The event supports the Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods and is held at the historic Redwood Forest Theater in Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve.

On Sunday, the 26th we'll be at Constable Jack's in Newcastle. I think this is the first time for Hawaiian music at Constable Jack's but I know there are lots of fans in the Sierra Nevada Foothills.

On Tuesday, the 28th we'll be back at Don Quixote's International Music Hall in Felton. We always look forward to this venue, the fans that support Hawaiian music and slack key are warm and welcoming, and Julie's stage decorations add that extra touch.

We'll end up the Northern California leg on Wednesday, September 29 at the marvelous new home of the Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse. This is not your ordinary coffeehouse, folks, with plush theater seating, state of the art Meyers Sound Labs audio, and the cream of the crop of traditional music in every style.

This is the first time for me to join Ledward on his trip to Southern California. On Thursday, the 30th, we'll be in San Diego at the AMSD Concert Series.

October 1st, Friday, we'll at the Dana Point Community House for the Lord of the Strings concert.

Saturday, Oct. 2 we'll do another Lord of the Strings concert, this time at the Mission Viejo Civic Center.

Our last stop is on Sunday, the 3rd, in Hermosa Beach where Taropatcher Mitch Chang (tafkam1) is presenting his Wire and Wood Series staged at Sangria. A Spanish/Mexicali restaurant with a surfing theme on the pier, featuring Hawaiian music - now that's California!!

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 09/15/2010 06:34:07 AM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  08:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sound great Fran! Please post your adventures from the road.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  3:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
On Sunday, the 26th we'll be at Constable Jack's in Newcastle. I think this is the first time for Hawaiian music at Constable Jack's but I know there are lots of fans in the Sierra Nevada Foothills.

I do know of other Hawaiian concerts at Constable Jacks, with Ledward Ka'apana performing no less!

And for my purely purient interest (I cannot normally get to the other venues on a work night): How come no show at the Little Fox in Redwood city. Eric Lochtefeld, brother of Ledward's agent Charley Lochtefeld, just took over operation of the Fox and "Little Fox" now known as "Club Fox" (or some such). I was hoping for MORE Hawaiian stuff at this venue as a result.

Strange thing is I see no events listed for the LITTLE or BIG Fox at their website:

http://www.foxdream.com/

Oh Well!!... Good times and good luck with the tour anyway!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  3:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks for the tip, Lawrence. I'll tweak my blurb about Jack's.

We initially had a date in Redwood City, but it got switched to Jack's some time ago. I have no idea why.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  06:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here is the latest news on the Fox Theatre in Redwood City...

...another long Escrow situation (typical of today's mortgage climate):

http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_16099584?nclick_check=1

...so maybe we will see some Hawaiian music there in a few weeks.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2010 :  6:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOOh Fran!

Now that you published my name for stage decorations, I'll need to make sure that it's extra special for you and Led. (Who dat anyway?)

Julie
Go to Top of Page

tafkam1
Lokahi

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  07:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit tafkam1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to hearing you play down here in Hermosa Beach Fran!

Mitch Chang
http://www.kalakoa.com/
http://www.ukulelewebsite.com/
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2010 :  11:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fran. Check in when you get to San Diego. Maybe we can have a get-together before your show.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 09/21/2010 11:22:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  09:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are here by Thursday evening you can join our weekly ukulele kanikapila in Carlsbad in the Bamboo Room in the Ocean House Restaurant - every Thursday 6-9PM. It is just west of I-5 at carlsbad Village Drive. Maybe Bill Tapia will be down with Pat Enos.
::===(o )

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  12:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the invites, guys. We'll be driving down from the Bay Area on Thursday after the Wednesday night show, so we'll probably be heading straight to the venue.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  11:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll be so good to see you in Hermosa Beach! It's been too long since our kani...
Mahalo for coming. Oh yeah, be good to see Led too!
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  8:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh Fran,

When you next talk to Led, please ask him if he will be playing ukulele as well, at Don Quixote's. If he does not have one with him (hahaha) I'll provide my low-G Dennis Lake tenor. I have told my beginning ukulele class about Led and hope he'll wail on that litlle 4-string guy for a few songs, just to encourage them. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  05:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Nancy.

Julie, I'm sure he's bringing his `ukulele and will feature it in a few numbers.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  06:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, the Old Grove Festival is quite an event. http://oldgrovefestival.org The Redwood Forest Theater is exactly what its name says - a lovely theater seating several hundred, surrounded by magnificent redwoods. The theater has a history going back to the 1930s but was closed in the 80s to adress the impact of overuse. For the last five years it has been opened for a single multi-day event, a festival in support of the Stewards of the Coast and Redwoods.

The weather was about as perfect as possible, the crowd was large and enthusiastic, the opening dance troupe was charming, and Ledward was magnificent. There were plenty of Led Heads in the crowd, and plenty more who were converted at the show. He eased them into the magic with "E Ku`u Sweet Lei Poina`ole" from the new CD, wowed the audience with some `ukulele mastery, then worked his way up to a "Wee Ha Swing" that had people jumping out of their seats. He closed the show with a chicken skin "I Kona" but couldn't get off the stage without a "hana hou" so he pulled out "Maunaloa Slack Key" and showed us all how to mix poi <grin>. That wasn't enough, more hana hou, so he brought down the house with his "Manuela Boy."

Today we're headed up to the Sierra Foothills for an afternoon show at Constable Jack's.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  06:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Constable Jack's is a classic blues bar, complete with Marshall and Fender amplifiers shoved to the back of the stage and 18" subwoofers holding up the front, posters featuring Strats and Telecasters and 335s on every wall. But the slack key came through sweet and lovely and the audience showed us that Hawaiians and Hawaiians-at-heart are all over the state of Kaleponi, even half way up the Sierras.

Ledward really seemed relaxed and happy to be playing for his "cousins" and took the music in every direction, with stuff from the new CD, "The Legend" mixed into classic Hui Ohana and I Kona songs. He pays tribute to Uncle Ray Kane with a version of "Wai O Ke Aniani" on the CD, and he called me up to play it with him to close the show, but of course with "hana hou" coming from the audience he kept going and going after the "last" song.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  03:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great concert last night at Don Quixote's in Felton. Packed house was great to see on a Tuesday. You were very smooth last night Fran. Your association with Mr. Kaapana is sure paying healthy dividends for your ki ho'alu.

As for Led. He put on a virtuoso performance on guitar, 'ukulele and the autoharp. Old stuff, new stuff, his guitars, your guitars, his 'ukulele, 'ukeleles brought into the concert by fans for him to play, autoharps that he rarely plays anymore....the guy is just an amazing artist. Such a joy to see and experience every time he comes into town. Can't wait for the next one.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000