Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Patrick Landeza: Slack Key Guitar Made Easy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  10:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  10:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It might be a little premature to post this since I'm still waiting on information regarding the "official" release date… but here it is. I'll add a review shortly, but feel free to add your own comments if you’ve already seen this.

Okay, here's the latest:
quote:
The slack key DVD's are available now... that is Patrick Landeza, George Kahumoku and Keoki Kahumoku's DVD's. They haven't made it to the website yet but we will be adding them as soon as Bruce is back on his feet. In the meantime, anyone who is interested can email us at homefix @ hometvnet.com requesting any of the titles or they can fax us an order with their credit card number to (858) 273-8410.

We will ship via priority mail or UPS, their choice, and will charge only actual shipping cost.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  11:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This video is now available at http://www.thegtw.com. My understanding is that tablature is coming and with the video will cost ~$30.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  12:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just experienced Patrick Landeza's HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR Made Easy and I give it !

What a deal! For only $30, this DVD provides you with hours (and hours, if you practice)of clear, easy to follow instructions on open G tuning (taro patch), basic chords, slack key scale, vamps and slides, and alternating bass and picking patterns. Patrick teaches with thoroughness, calmness, and lots of encouragement.

Besides the savings of thousands of dollars on weekly lessons, this DVD provides you with YEARS and YEARS of enjoyment of Patrick's musicianry. He plays two traditional songs (Moana Chimes and Salomila); three of Patrick's own compositions (Kahuku Slack Key, Monorail Slack Key, and Pilipuka); and Wai o ke Aniani.

Patrick is not only the consummate professional slack key artist, but the consummate professional educator. And that's no brag. He was a schoolteacher for eight or so years and was even a vice-principal before he devoted his full attention to his music. His formal educational training shines through. He articulates well with clear, well-paced explanations and palpable patience.

Not only is this DVD easy on the ears, it is `ono for the eyes. Beautifully produced with lush foliage and bright tropical flowers in the background, the DVD is a joy to watch. Patrick's good looks and the beauty of his koa guitar are bonuses. And that smile...

And no, I'm not Patrick's relative or his business manager!

I was first introduced to Patrick's talent and passion when he opened for Keali`i Reichel in San Francisco in 1996 and then again, later that year, at Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo`ole's last mainland concert in Marin County. It is so very easy to be Patrick's fan. He radiates a gentle warmth. This might embarrass him a bit , but for this fan, he seems to possess an angelic quality. There is a sweetness to him, one that is not cloying, but sincere and from the heart.

Earlier this year at The Shannon in Whittier, we saw Patrick once again, this time with George Kuo, Martin Pahinui and Aaron Mahi. We were blown away by his growth as an artist.

And once again, this past weekend, we were treated to yet another sterling performance by Patrick at the Next Generation concert, one he produced with David and Dennis Kamakahi and Keoki Kahumoku and Herb Ohta, Jr. as performers. What a superb concert that was -- if any of the concerts is in your area, this one is a delectable treat that is not to be missed:http://www.patricklandeza.com/landezaPresents.html

At intermission, we made a beeline to purchase Patrick's DVD and have been enjoying it ever since. Patrick's a new dad of a five month old baby boy, so make sure you support this new papa with kala ($) -- that is, BUY his CDs and DVD. Perish the evil thought of cockaroaching his work by burning copies on your computer, 'kay!

He has a new mouth to feed. Share the Aloha.

"Aloha is...":
http://www.geocities.com/moekeale2020/alohalesson.htm

Edited by - AuntyD on 08/26/2003 12:27:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  12:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The head of Patrick's fan club, ladies and gentlemen...give her a big hand! Welcome to the TaroPatch Aunty D...you play your instrument well!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/26/2003 12:50:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  09:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And ,thank you Aunty D for your website and its links. We have been using it for years.

Back to Patrick's DVD. Sarah and I have it, too, and watched it all the way through a few days ago. I was particularly taken with his "Monorail Slack Key" because of its bass line. Patrick calls it "double bass", but it sounds to me very much like 3-3-2 division of a 4/4 measure as in Sonny's "Ho`omalu Slack Key" and "Moe `Uhane". Very neat song.

We are eagerly awaiting the tab. But, the DVD is so clear and so easy to manipulate, that if a bit of effort were to be put into it, the songs could be tabbed directly by the DVD viewer.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2003 :  1:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just received Patrick's CD and really enjoyed it. I would love to have the tab for the song's. I've read elsewhere that the tab is coming, is this true ?

Bing
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2003 :  3:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The tab should be available through Bruce Lamb either now or very shortly...I bought a printed copy of it last night from Bruce at Patrick's concert in La Jolla. Check at http://www.thegtw.com or email Bruce. And yes, Reid, it is a 3-3-2 division.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  2:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

The head of Patrick's fan club, ladies and gentlemen...give her a big hand! Welcome to the TaroPatch Aunty D...you play your instrument well!

Aloha e Craig,

My belated MAHALO for your warm welcome and generous plaudits. I've been told, "Bloom where you are planted" (or transplanted!), and so I explore my talent here in front of the keyboard and with the written word.

Yes, my computer keyboard is my instrument. We are all given different gifts, and it has been clearly revealed to me that my talents do not lie in the playing of the clarinet, guitar, or 'ukulele.

Such a pitiful lack of musical talent, however, only makes the appreciation of those who do possess them that much sweeter for me. Like musicians and vocalists, my talents also are in my hands and voice: I am a very hearty applauder and for a little gal,I yell out a loud "Hana hou!" that seems to get my favorites back on stage, every time.

Wow, I see that you are prolific contributor here. Your enthusiasm is positively contagious and that is maika`i loa.

"Aloha is...":
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  3:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

And ,thank you Aunty D for your website and its links. We have been using it for years. ... We are eagerly awaiting the tab. But, the DVD is so clear and so easy to manipulate, that if a bit of effort were to be put into it, the songs could be tabbed directly by the DVD viewer. ..Reid

Aloha e Reid,

You are most welcome. If I can do a little part in spreading the 'olelo with the site and its links, it is enough. It is gratifying to hear that you and Sarah have been using it.

Thank you for your enlightening posts that have muchly taught me. Your and Sarah's ability to ferret out information and your kindness in sharing that information with others inspire me.

Me ke Aloha,
Aunty D

"Aloha is...":
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  11:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi people,

Could someone who either has a copy of this and/or K. Kahumoku's DVD, or has knowledge of them, look to see what their Region Code is?

I'm thinking of ordering one or both to give to someone living here in Japan as a present, and cannot find any info regarding this on the Web site--or any e-mail contact address.

Thanks much

-dean
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  01:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'd be very surprised if they're not region-free. (They don't say anywhere on the DVD themselves though.) Have you tried emailing Bruce? You can do so from this page.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 10/21/2003 01:38:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tanks plenty Craig, sent off an e-mail message to get confirmation and some shipping prices.

-dean
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  12:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BreezePlease

Could someone who either has a copy of this and/or K. Kahumoku's DVD, or has knowledge of them, look to see what their Region Code is?
I traded emails with Bruce. He checked his literature which does not clearly indicate anything about region code. He did confirm that copies have been sent to both Europe and Japan without any reports of problems so all indications point toward region-free.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  1:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy, decided to go ahead and place an order. If they don't work over here, you'll have two DVDs for your monthly give-away...

BTW, the email I sent to Bruce via tpatch.net bounced. Might want to get his profile updated.

-dean
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  08:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some feedback on this, in case anyone else should have the same concerns.

Got this and K.K.'s DVD in the mail already, and the person to whom I gave them reported no problems at all playing on an i-Mac set to Region 2. So these are very likely region-free discs.

I have not seen them, so unfortunately I cannot comment on the content--but I can say that the service was fast and smooth. No problems; no worries.

Tanks again, Andy, for your help on this.

-dean
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000