Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Ozzie Kotani: Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style Vol 1
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  3:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  4:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a website listed on the cover where the DVD is sold.
http://www.slack-key.net

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  6:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Ozzie told be about this project while I was at his home for a slack key lesson a few weeks ago. At that time, the DVDs were still to be shrink wrapped. I bought one sight unseen and had to wait until it arrived in the mail last week. I watched the DVD all weekend and am truly impressed.

This is a truly outstanding DVD. Ozzie and his partner John Johnson have produced a very well designed and executed course in Slack Key. The video angles are just right to be able to see both left and right hand techniques. But my favorite aspect of this DVD is the on-screen tablature. Ozzie explains and executes the fingering while you look at the tablature -- all on the screen at the same time. This DVD is an excellent companion to and builds upon his previously published book (the Green and Yellow book). In Ozzie's words, "This is a Tell ALL DVD for Slack Key".

Even the mandatory "legalese" about copyright will have you laughing and put you in the Hawaiian "mood", bra.

Ozzie plays [Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua] during the Introduction which actually is a "Bonus Song" for the Intermediate to advanced player that can watch and learn.

There is a very well done history section and the mandatory tuning session to Taropatch G. All songs on this DVD are in Taropatch G (DGDGBD).

For the absolute beginner, there is a very complete section with thorough explanations and demonstrations of slack key techniques and how to read tablature. Then Ozzie goes right into the first song [Kani Ki Ho'alu] which is also in his Book.

For those of you that think you might be bored here, Ozzie adds [Improvised and Embellishments]. This is for the Intermediate player to watch and learn -- there is no on-screen tablature here. Watching Ozzie in this section gets you from the Book to the CD, so to speak, as you watch some of the techniques he uses to add color and texture to this easy song to make it more interesting.

When he move to the next song, [Molehu], he adds in an very good explanation of Open and Closed positions. A must for those of you that want to learn how to translate these techniques to other tunings. Again there is an [Improvised and Embellishments] section to this song.

For those of you that want to "Slash and Burn" try the next song, [Awiwi]. After demonstrating the song at normal speed he flashes to an uptempo version to motivate you. He then breaks down the song with on-screen tablature to teach the song.

By this time you should feel confortable enough to try and learn the last two songs from a traditional Watch, Listen, and Mimic technique -- there are no on-screen tablatures for you to watch. As if you were going to ask the question, the video angles and most DVD Players will allow you to pause, zoom in and look. This is my personal favorite section of the DVD as these last two songs (and the very first song) have been on my "Want to Learn" list for a long time. The first is Sonny Chilling worth's arrangement of [Kaula Ili] complete with the introduction Sonny used on his CDs. The [Maika'i Ka Makani O Kohala] is just superb.

In short, this DVD is for beginners to advanced players. It is truly well done, and I am sure many of you will agree with me that this is a MUST HAVE for your Ki Ho'alu Library.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  7:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was very excited when I heard about this DVD project but wasn't sure what to expect. Would it be the long awaited sequel to Ozzie's book Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style? Well, it seems to be somewhere in between. More on that later.

First, I was struck by the DVD's production values. The multi-angle shots, close-ups, and on-screen tablature underscore the benefits of a video lesson over working with a book with audio supplement. It should be noted that each arrangement is an instrumental piece, i.e., no vocals. However, if you're a vocalist, you will pick up lots of tools for pa`anis and/or backing your singing not to mention building repertoire.

I think there is something for all levels here. Beginners and advanced players alike will benefit from this video but logically there is a bias to the beginner/intermediate player as any Volume 1 should.

I know there are many students who worked with Ozzie's book so back to how the DVD fits into the relative progression. The book and DVD both include the songs Kani Ki Ho`alu (Taro Patch), Molehu (Taro Patch), and `Awiwi (Taro Patch). The DVD follows a similar style to the book where the song is played and then the song is broken down into excercises measure by measure. The video continues a step further because Ozzie executes another version of each song by stepping away from the tablature and improvising. Intermediate and advanced players will appreciate picking up licks, fingerings, and smooth transitions/timing.

Ultimately, this DVD is an excellent compliment to the book, or it can stand on its own. Students will certainly benefit from it, and I am guessing that it's destined to be another important key that unlocks the ki ho`alu door for many players to come.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie told me that he and John had planned to make a follow-on DVD but were advised to watch the response to this project first. So a second DVD is in the planning stage. If this sells well, then the second volume may proceed.

One of the things Ozzie likes to emphasize is to move away from the tablature and make the song your own. There are many tools in this DVD to help you get from A to B.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  2:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just had the pleasure of watching this video. It is unquestionably the clearest, and most effective DVD for slack key instruction (IMHO). Ozzie moves slow enough, and teaches very methodically. The on-screen tab is also very useful.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

Edited by - Darin on 06/18/2007 11:01:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  02:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah and I watched it last night. First, it was a joy to see and listen to Oz, who we haven't talked to in a few years. Second, the DVD was a joy to watch because of the extraordinary production values. Third, the DVD was a joy to watch because the pedagogical structure was so logical and well thought out, and Oz is so fluent and sensible in presenting it. Fourth, the DVD was a joy to watch because the "illustrations" and the Improvised and Embellishments section is an amazing education for those of us who had been through all the pieces in the book previously. I challenge any "advanced" player to approach what Oz does and shows.

A hint for beginners: look at Ozzie's right hand carefully (and it is clearly shown); also note his fingernails and finger positions.

A comment from a struggling sound engineer's viewpoint: Oz produces quite twangy, sharp notes on the 3 treble strings that are loud enough to make the bass comparatively obscure. (I route the sound from my HDTV through a very good stereo system with Polk speakers - so it is quite "accurate".)Those are the kinds of sounds that I have been trying to balance (and reduce the treble sharpness) in recordings. If Oz thinks that sound is good, why do I not think so?

Just a nit: The menu on our DVD did not include an entry for Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua.

This is a "must have" for *any* slack key player.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 06/18/2007 07:17:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  06:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received my copy on Saturday and have already watched it a few times. I really like it and it will fun and challenging to learn some new songs and techniques. I already can't wait for the next one. I agree with everyone that this is definitely a must have DVD.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  05:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you order it here on TP (buy now) you can pay with your regular credit card through paypal. Your not using a paypal account

Oh and quick review.... the DVD is fantastic

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  09:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry if the Amazon and B&N links confused anyone. I have them at the bottom of all the book and video pages just so that people can generally browse if they'd like. Ozzie's DVD is not currently on sale at either store but may be added in the future?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  1:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got mine last week! This is a great DVD and I think it'll help me finish Ozzie's book. I really like his detailed pace; it does feel like having a personal lesson with him.

Time to start practicing!

Edited by - ongchua on 01/07/2008 1:54:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  01:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is in the auction section http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170190914640

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Gretchen
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  6:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is available on Amazon for those of you who have no Hawaiian culture access in your area. It seems a good basic intro with a methodical building block approach to playing slack key guitar by introducing concepts and then practicing them in TABbed songs. No music or meter to follow though. My favorite first book.

The hills are alive with the sound of music
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000