Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Keoki Kahumoku: Introduction to Ki ho`alu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  10:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  10:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It might be a little premature to post this since I’m still waiting on information regarding the "official" release date… but here it is. I’ll add a review shortly, but feel free to add your own comments if you've already seen this.

Okay, here's the latest:
quote:
The slack key DVD's are available now... that is Patrick Landeza, George Kahumoku and Keoki Kahumoku's DVD's. They haven't made it to the website yet but we will be adding them as soon as Bruce is back on his feet. In the meantime, anyone who is interested can email us at homefix @ hometvnet.com requesting any of the titles or they can fax us an order with their credit card number to (858) 273-8410.

We will ship via priority mail or UPS, their choice, and will charge only actual shipping cost.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  12:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The DVDs are now listed on Bruce's Web sit! Keoki's DVD is unique in the all of the current slack key instructional materials in that it focuses completely on technique rather than teaching individual songs. As such, it is a must-have for any slack key player and especially for beginners. With a copy of this DVD and a copy of Ozzie's book, you'll quickly build a rock-solid foundation in the art and joy of ki ho`alu.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/02/2003 12:22:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

hokulei
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  01:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Send hokulei an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with cpatch, this DVD is essential for anyone learning slack key. I have taken classes, bought many books and videos and this has everything I have been looking for in one place. Looking forward to buying the intermediate and advanced lessons from Keoki when they come out.

Aloha,

hokulei
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  11:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho! We bought the DVD (and George's, too) at the Mauian. Now we gotta buy a DVD player.

I was thinking of buying a Player/*Recorder* so that Sarah and I could transfer all those valuable, but deteriorating video tapes of slack key instruction, language, hula, etc. Does anybody have an educated opinion on which one to buy (that won't break the bank)?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Currently the best (and cheapest) way to record you own DVDs is still using your computer. Last time I looked, the cost of a writable DVD drive for the computer plus the cost of a DVD player for your TV was still significantly less than the cost of a standalone DVD player/recorder. You also have much more flexibility in how you create your DVDs if you use the computer to do so. (There are downsides, such as the need for a large hard drive, but if you already have a good computer then this is the way to go.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  1:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished installing a nice, inexpensive, Sony DVD player (only took me 2 hours to get all the system components connected properly - that's another story :-(
And I used Keoki's instructional DVD as a test disk. Sarah bought it, and George's, from Nancy at the Mauian when we visited the "Camp", even though we nothing to play it on.

It is *wonderful*! I can't get over how organized and logical it is. Moreover, it has lots of moves and concepts I have seen no other place. I think lots of intermediate players could get real value out of it as well as beginners. Read the list of Track titles that Andy listed above. Do you know all about those subjects? I sure don't. Even Keoki's versions of vamps and chords and progressions are great to add to your "vocabulary" bag of tricks. They have the "Kahumoku sound". The DVD format would let more advanced players skip the easy stuff and concentrate on the subjects they are interested in. If Keoki is the guy who thought out the didactic sequence, he ranks as one of the best teachers in the guitar world. The camera angles, close ups, picture-in-picture insets, are just what is needed for optimal learning. You can see very detail - you *know* what Keoki's fingers are doing and you *know* what string they are doing it on. The flow is smooth and each new topic builds on the previous ones.

Reflecting on past history, I am puzzled why this kind, and *extent* of foundational material has never been presented before - especially at live "Camps" and workshops.

Because it is an organized DVD, you can go directly to where you want to be. You can freeze-frame perfectly to see what his fingers are doing, or instant replay a short segment (and I can do all this with a 25 year old TV with only a 75 ohm coax input (use an RF modulator for $20). You can slow it down, loop, whatever, and the picture quality is always great. The sound is great, too (I feed it into a stero receiver with just the old-style 2 speakers).

One funny thing happened: on first playing the disk, the frame froze after about 5 minutes of playing and I got an error message on the front panel display:" THE DISK IS DIRTY". So, I got it out, and sure enough, there was this big, greasy, kalua pig grease fingerprint across the whole surface (as well as some scratches). I carefully wiped it off with a clean cloth, put it back in, and no more problems (even with the scratches).

This sets a new standard in instructional materials. I can not believe anyone who is serious about teaching would not insist on using a DVD instead of a VHS Tape. Mel Bay and Homespun, and all the rest, - Get With It! *And* the organization of the material would have to be as good as this or it would be instantly recognized as an inferior effort. With many VHS instructional tapes, there is a lot of rambling, dead time, emphasis on the wrong things. Because it is really a linear medium, you tend to overlook the sloppiness because you have to search, and fast forward or fast backwards, and it is too much trouble, so you just go with it and are sorta grateful that it exists at all. Not with DVD.

This is one educational volume that I am going to spend a lot of time with and have a guitar in my hands while I watch it. And a remote right to hand. And lots of usage won't wear it out.

Kudos to Keoki!

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  6:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Reid,

Way to go Reid, I agree. Started doing the same thing, using the TV and a DVD player until.............I got my Powerbook Laptop with a DVD player ( and Superdrive!). It's the ultimate in hi-tech musical instruction, I think.

I now do my Mark Hanson "lessons" at the backyard, garage, at my Open Houses, at the park, etc., etc., etc.

ed

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2003 :  11:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed,

I have a power book G4 but I don't know what "super drive"is. Will I be able to use my new Keoki DVD when I get it?

Bing
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  11:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Bing,

I have the 17" Powerbook which came standard with the "superdrive" - a combo DVD player and Burner which allows you to burn DVD's of your favorite videos from your digital camcorder.( http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index17.html ) If you have the 12" or 15" models, I think they both came with DVD players so you should be able to watch and enjoy Keoki's DVD lessons. I'm going to borders tonight to see if I can get one myself.

ed

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  10:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ed, I checked my manual and you are right my 15" power book will show CD's and DVD's but only burn the CD's. Oh well at least I can use my Keoki DVD when it arrives.

One more question. Do you record your playing into your power book ? And if so what program do you use? And do you use the internal mic or plug into the external mic jack or USB port ?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  11:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This video is now available at http://www.thegtw.com.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  05:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Bing,
I use iMic ($34.95) to plug my Guitar into and into the Powerbook. You can buy it at the online Apple.com store. You cannot plug your guitar (or a microphone) direct to the laptop. However, you will need an adapter because the input jack on the iMic is the standard 1/8" and the guitar cable is of course larger than that.

The software I use to record is the AudioHijack Pro ($30) which you can download at
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/ . Both can give you all the fun you can imagine, if you have the time. These are quite cheap for what you can do. I have a cheap ukulele but by the time I was done with only some simple audio effects, the recording actually sounded almost studio quality and sounded like I had an expensive Uke!

Unless you are technically inclined, there is a little learning curve required to make the most out of the iMic and Audio Hijack. I have 2 boys that are diehard "AppleHeads" and they pretty much do all the configuring and quick start and orientation with me so I didn't have to worry about all the complicated, or even the simple, techie stuff.

Send me an email if you decide to challenge yourself and I will help out ( with my 2 guys on standby)

ed

Jake Provonsha
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  7:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheeee Reid,
What a review! I ordered a copy. You should work for the company. I'm in agreement about the DVD concept; wish my Peter moon ukulele video was on DVD so I could see what he is doing with those fingers.
Thanks and Aloha
Jake
Go to Top of Page

ikaika1234
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  10:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOW DO I ORDER THE DVD!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ikaika1234
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2003 :  10:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THIS WEBSITE IS SO CONFUSING. I JUST WANT TO ORDER THE DVD, AND I DON'T SEE ANYWHERE THAT TELLS ME HOW TO PURCHASE IT. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000