Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 can anyone ID Eddie Kamae's baritone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  05:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mele, on Maui make great (and more affordably priced) double puka models.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mike Anderson
Akahai

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2011 :  05:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo wdf, actually if you read back in the thread I have found them, and there's even a baritone: http://www.meleukulele.com/shopexd.asp?id=379&bc=no.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2011 :  05:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They also had a "super" tenor - between a tenor and baritone. It's a fun place to visit.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  3:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further digression, Mike: Augie Colón [percussionist/bird-calls for Martin Denny's band in the '60s] was my mother-in-law's cousin. His son Lopaka [had a band named after himself, then another called "Pure Heart"] had an interesting young guy in the band who played "lead/plugged-in" ukulele with wah-wah/stomp-boxes/etc; we used to see 'em a decade back.

Back to ukes... that young man was Jake Shimabukuro, now more widely known [sans foot-pedals] as "Ukulele Jake". As you note, all these diverse musical elements flow in & around each other.

Back yet further to-topic, it was Grimes that I was trying to think of when 1st mentioned Keola's double-puka guitar[s].

Edited by - basilking on 09/25/2011 5:21:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  6:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by basilking

His son Lopaka [had a band named after himself, then another called "Pure Heart"]...
Other way around. Pure Heart was Jon Yamasato, Jake Shimabukuro & Lopaka Colon; the band "Colon" came after Pure Heart broke up, and released one album.

Last I saw Lopaka was when he was playing percussion with Henry Kapono on the "Wild Hawaiian" tour. He's very talented.
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  09:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx, Retro. Haven't spoken to Lopaka for a long while, glad to hear he's doing well.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Anderson
Akahai

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  09:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
basilking, that is a cool and interesting connection; I know Martin Denny's music of course (as all right-thinking humans should), and as a mostly-percussionist kinda guy I have always been blown away by his inventiveness and sense of fun. Will have to look up the younger Colon and the other connections here. I am naturally in awe of Jake Shimabukuro's talent, but not really my cup of tea - but I'll bet that was still a very cool band. :)

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  11:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Anderson

Will have to look up the younger Colon and the other connections here. I am naturally in awe of Jake Shimabukuro's talent, but not really my cup of tea - but I'll bet that was still a very cool band.
It's unfortunate that all the Pure Heart and Colon material is out-of-print, but I think Jon Yamasato is making efforts to get rights to the PH stuff. I had all of the albums at one point, but ended up plugging them into Muzak's "Hawaiian" channel, where they still spin to this day, afaik.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  03:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the NEA Heritage Fellowship winners, Carlinhos Pandeiro de Ouro, http://nea.gov/honors/heritage/fellows/fellow.php?id=2011_02&type=bio lived in Hawai`i for a number of years and told us that he was one of Lopaka's percussion teachers.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mike Anderson
Akahai

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  07:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and as a Brazilian music lover and former professional player of Brazilian percussion, I know of Carlinhos P.D.O. and his work, and I believe he has run a school (California?) now for several years.

"Pandeiro" is the Brazilian tambourine, and "de ouro" means "of gold". "Carlinhos" is the affectionate diminutive, "little Carlos". You don't get that kinda nickname in Brazil without being really special. If you watch soccer you'll know Brazilians are all about nicknames - if you went through life without getting one it would be truly weird. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000