Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Get to see some slack key!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  05:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have tickets to the March 18 show with Nathan Aweau, George Kahumoku and Jeff Peterson. It is in our favorite local venue in Boise, the Egyptian Theater. It's nice to see some ki ho'alu without traveling!

And we should see a bunch of friends there too. Some folks from our ukulele club mentioned it on Monday night. They were excited because they had experienced slack key for the first time at the Masters of Slack Key show on Maui during a recent trip.

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  11:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

We have tickets to the March 18 show with Nathan Aweau, George Kahumoku and Jeff Peterson. It is in our favorite local venue in Boise, the Egyptian Theater.

Awesome! That should be a fantastic show. Say hi to Jeff and Uncle George for me

quote:
It's nice to see some ki ho'alu without traveling!

What is this strange, foreign concept of which you speak?

quote:
And we should see a bunch of friends there too. Some folks from our ukulele club mentioned it on Monday night. They were excited because they had experienced slack key for the first time at the Masters of Slack Key show on Maui during a recent trip.

Nice! Here's hoping that maybe a couple of them get bitten harder by the bug and want to learn to play it as well!

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  1:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Geoff. Some of them have heard me play slack key, but they are pretty skewed toward beginner level ukulele players (strumming only) and have little interest in fingerstyle guitar.

I would be delighted to share and even teach the basics if anyone ever expressed some interest.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  1:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lots of concerts for us in March. David Wilcox is playing in our second favorite Sapphire Room on Friday March 6. We have a table right up front. I took classes with him during my first (of many) Acoustic Alaska Guitar Camp years ago, while we still lived in Alaska.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  5:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Geoff. Some of them have heard me play slack key, but they are pretty skewed toward beginner level ukulele players (strumming only) and have little interest in fingerstyle guitar.

I hear you. It's very much the same around here. Local uke groups tend towards being social clubs for retirees, and they're happy to strum four chord songs and sing their hearts out, with little desire to progress much beyond that.

At least a few people I know have started dabbling in fingerstyle uke because I was so gung-ho about it, so that's something.

quote:
I would be delighted to share and even teach the basics if anyone ever expressed some interest.

I wish you all the best with it. Sometimes they have to pick up the love of it for themselves, so perhaps don't give up hope yet. If they enjoy listening to it, it might be time to quietly mention that it's not that hard to play yourself, and you'd be willing to teach them

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  11:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would be delighted to guide anyone near me who expresses interest in slack key, but so far no one has asked.

As for uke, I have tried for twelve years to raise the general level of musicianship among our jam group, but only a handful have ever tried to advance. They are strummers and stuck looking at a page. They cannot / will not play anything by ear. Even something as relatively simple as transposing from what is already written down puts some of them into panic - raise by one letter (say from F to G) is too much of a leap for most of them. I've tried to get a few of them into finger picking patterns, again with little success.

My own slack key journey started in Alaska in 2003. Mark Nelson was a headliner at the Seldovia Summer Solstice Festival, where we were also performing. He taught a 90 minute workshop on basic slack key in taro patch tuning, and I was immediately hooked. My noodling based on the workshop soon turned into a simple song that is still part of my play rotation. It has become a library of turn-arounds and chord shapes in taro patch. From that humble beginning I got books and Homespun DVD's and learned more, then we attended Aloha Music Camp in 2006 for the first time on Molokai.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  1:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl, humans crave the comfort of the familiar and have learned to set low goals for themselves. Only the mediocre are at their best all of the time....
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2020 :  2:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a great point, Thumbstruck. It is easiest and safest to stay within our own little comfort zones, but not much progress is made that way. For me that limitation would be boring.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  08:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, the slack key show has been postponed to July 08, instead of tonight. Not really a surprise and that is probably a good call, for the sake of audience as well as the musicians who have to travel to be here. We are sorry for their loss of income while concerts are being cancelled or deferred.

Stay safe and practice at home! This puts a new spin on "playing with yourself".
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  6:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would be delighted to guide anyone near me who expresses interest in slack key, but so far no one has asked.

As for uke, I have tried for twelve years to raise the general level of musicianship among our jam group, but only a handful have ever tried to advance. They are strummers and stuck looking at a page. They cannot / will not play anything by ear. Even something as relatively simple as transposing from what is already written down puts some of them into panic - raise by one letter (say from F to G) is too much of a leap for most of them. I've tried to get a few of them into finger picking patterns, again with little success.

My own slack key journey started in Alaska in 2003. Mark Nelson was a headliner at the Seldovia Summer Solstice Festival, where we were also performing. He taught a 90 minute workshop on basic slack key in taro patch tuning, and I was immediately hooked. My noodling based on the workshop soon turned into a simple song that is still part of my play rotation. It has become a library of turn-arounds and chord shapes in taro patch. From that humble beginning I got books and Homespun DVD's and learned more, then we attended Aloha Music Camp in 2006 for the first time on Molokai.

Judy
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  6:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I was nearby as I love picking . I love picking on my Ukulele and have been playing very simple Slack Key Open G and Dropped C.
Our uke club has lessons set up for the Beginners & playing up the neck etc. One of the teachers brings songs to push us a bit and that is picking but he will say for those of u who want to pick please go ahead and those that want to strum strum . So we have a mixture in that class. It may b one way to start people on their journey. I get tired of playing the uku down up down up . But the picking and some turns arounds sound so good. On the guitar side, I wish there where other DVds LIke Ozzies that I have to teach me more. I could use a bit of a push to play different songs. Happy picking

Judy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  05:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Harry Koizumi has been doing tutorials on both uke and guitar for a while, he covers a lot of fun tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC46MiPxDyxySKeiNNtY1Nvw

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  07:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BijouBut the picking and some turns around's sound so good. On the guitar side, I wish there where other DVDs like Ozzie's that I have to teach me more. I could use a bit of a push to play different songs. Happy picking

I can highly recommend the instructional DVD's through The Guitar Workshop (http://www.theguitarworkshop.com/). I have all of those titles, including the blues ones. I like the way they shoot these videos, from above as the player sees it. Big recommendation for the Keoki Kahumoku DVD's as the only true beginner level slack-key videos that don't rush into intermediate territory after five minutes. Jamplay also has a whole series of on line slack-key lessons by Mark Nelson. And Mark sells book/CD's of instruction on ukulele, including chord melody and slack key.

There is way more to the ukulele than down-up ISS - Incessant Strumming Syndrome (attributed to Jim DeVille).

I have tried many times fingerpicking my ukulele as part of our club jams. But one fingerpicked uke stands no chance against 15-20 strummed ukes, and beginner level players that have no idea about loudness dynamics. Unless I plug in. For example, I play "Desperado" by the Eagles in a fingerpicked version, among many others. Fingerpicked ukulele works great solo or in small groups.

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  04:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And we got just word that now the rescheduled George Kahumoku concert in July is officially cancelled, with no alternate dates. Tickets were refunded. No Hawaiian music or slack-key for us, except maybe the home-grown kind.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  5:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..and I just heard from Aunty Manu, who is working with Chell Pahanui. The Seattle Slack Key show for November is not going to happen this year. Auē!

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  8:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad news, people.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page