Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "Kananaka" at Ka `Elepulu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2022 :  09:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a great time chasing versions of "Kananaka" through YouTube and the rest of the web. I started with Sonny Chillingworth's version on "Sonny Solo" - a very spare melody and accompaniment. But I was also familiar with Ale`a's uptempo version from Lynn's hula buddies. Then I found Keali`i Reichel doing a rather different melody, one I found in several Maui performances. These three were just the beginning, my head was spinning.

Fortunately I stumbled over the Hawaiian Legacy Foundation, the one Maliko pointed out: www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11733
The version of "Kananaka" there identified the author as Eddie Kamae's grandmother!! And the material included a video of the hula and chant she composed!!! With that information I knew I would have to base my version on the Maui melody which was the closest to that chant.

Long story long, here's a version of "Kananaka" in slack key style, shot at Ka `Elepulu Pond (or Enchanted Lake as it is now called):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CAn8tT7lAw

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2022 :  1:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nani a me loea kau ho'okani 'ana!

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2022 :  07:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maliko

Nani a me loea kau ho'okani 'ana!

My `olelo is nowhere but I think I detect a compliment. Mahalo.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
506 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  09:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I loved that priceless big smile as you finished, Fran. Nahe nahe.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000