Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 John Keawe: Learn to Play Ki `ho alu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  09:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, he is visiting down south....I'm way up here in Silicon Valley... I have seeing John on my "things to do before I die"....list

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  7:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on down - not so far. Good tickets still available for 3:00 show - easy to get here - place to stay close to airport/ off 405/105...
Go to Top of Page

millsrd
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  5:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha

Is there any place that I could get tab from John's Mama's Music Box? I have the DVD and can get about half the notes, but there is a lot going on beyond the runs up and down the scale! One of my favorites. We hope to see him again on the Big Island in November.

Randy

Edited by - millsrd on 09/16/2017 5:20:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  06:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I learned that tune directly from John at Aloha Music Camp several years ago (2009) and still play ti regularly. I will look in my library, but I'm not sure that he gave us tab. I recall that the classes were traditional "look-see-do" and he showed us minor variations each day as the week progressed. Class was remarkably like the DVD, IIRC. I haven't revisited the DVD in a while....

Basically there are three variants:
*play the melody on the first string at the 9th fret, working down
*second time around the melody is on the fourth string, same fret positions
*third time is strings 1 and 2 double stopped at the 12th fret, working down to the 9th fret, until you go to the C chord (barred 5th fret)

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  07:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy,
Momma's Music Box is my benchmark piece; the first tune I ever learned (even before Ozzie's stuff) and I play it every day. I've added a verse. But, to your point, I have tab for that song done by Craig Patchet (cpatch) in 2004 (real history). I don't think it matches John's video, but is close to his original recording. I was at John's house and gave him a copy of it in 2004, although he claimed he never did tab and probably scrapped it. John's video is really the way to learn it. The good news is that it only took me about 1000 plays before I mastered it. John would encourage you to get the basics and then make it yours anyway that worked. Send me your email and I'll forward the tab. You can get to me through the Taro Patch email connection.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000