Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The Magical Kanikapila Capo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  02:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Duke - Not only useful for me; it's a useful tip for everyone who plays with other people.

All credit to you for having the presence of mind to think of posting it in the first place!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  10:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta weigh in for brada Thumbstruck. He wowed da guyz at the slack key workshop - Uncle Cyril, Uncle Dennis, Ron Kauila and Sonny Lim by playing in Tarpopatch for tunes in C, D & F. Da guy's amazin! We'll be on Oahu from 1/12 - 24. Stay Kailua. Molto jamz!!!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2021 :  10:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great thread. Nuggets of wisdom hidden everywhere on TP. Good stuff, @ sirduke58.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2021 :  06:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigh, no capo for fiddle. I can tranfer my fingering patterns to different strings to some extent, but Iʻve found it best to bring 2 fiddles, a "g" and an "f". "g" usually tunes standard GDAE, "f" one whole step slacked FCGD. So "f" fiddle in F,C "g" fiddle in G,D,A.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2021 :  06:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's the problem with fiddle, Maliko - no frets.

I know of a pro singer-songwriter (Peter Case) who only plays in Open G no matter who he plays with -- although he does not call it taro patch. From him In learned to play a lot of songs in G tuning. It takes some effort but it is important to learn at least some chord shapes for several keys in taro patch. I don;t actually play it but can do a credible job of faking on five-string banjo because it is basically tuned to open G.

If you can do I-IV-V chords in several keys, you can cover most songs with rhythm strums or basic finger picking patterns. The licks and turnarounds might be a little more complicated.....
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2021 :  7:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he told me this once and I've watched him so I'm pretty sure Glen Smith of Ho`okena plays everything they do tuned to Open G. No capo

Edited by - chunky monkey on 12/01/2021 7:10:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2021 :  06:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A close relative to the lowered t-patch is the lowered Drop C (aka Drop Bb). I'm very fond of that'n <G>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2022 :  05:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke. Going through some old posts of yours and this is a good one. Thanks for the info. Ron

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000