Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How to strengthen fingernails
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  3:54:18 PM  Show Profile
jwn,

I hope you can join us! The more the merrier. (With more players, my feeble attempts to keep up will be less noticeable. :) ) I had to miss the last session; I went with a friend to watch her perform at an open mic. BTW, we meet in Kirkland, and I live nearish to you, in Edmonds.

The super glue technique I mentioned is not gluing something to your nails, it's just painting your nail tips with super glue and then dipping them in baking soda to set the glue. Weird, huh? I think it's stranger than ping-pong balls.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  5:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Reid,

Thanks for posting your description of shaping the nails. It sounds a lot like what I learned in Aaron Shearer's Classical Guiatr books from Mel Bay.

It is true that when the nail has that shape skewed towards the pinky the finger slides off the string more gradually, making a very pleasant tone with less "attack".

Chris

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  8:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Chris,

What I described is what works for us, especially me, since some of my nails are deformed. Especially the ring finger, right hand, which was jammed by a long linedrive when I thought I was a baseball player. The result is that it is so thin and curved laterally that, when it releases the first string (since I have one tiny thing in common with Ozzie - my ring finger is assigned to the 1st string)it releases it from two points. This makes it twangier than I (or anybody else) would like it, unless I file the nail to "flatten" it to the right. That made my normally excessive analytical tendencies go into overdrive, so I consciously studied what was happening and what I was doing. People like Andy, who are naturally talented, don't have to be so self conscious. Andy's playing sounds wonderful when he plays only with his fingertips - it is all a matter of choice with him and some other talented people around here. Guys like me need all the edge we can get.

E malama pono,

Reid

Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2002 :  03:01:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, John, you crack me up. Your writing style is so much fun.

You missed it on one point; you said that those who had decided to use picks would read no farther. Not so, I read every word.

Due to my struggles with tendonitis and my limp, fragile nails, I have settled back into my ProPicks. For now. They do at least leave the finger pad open so that you can feel the string you are playing. Otherwise you are shooting blanks in the dark. You know, for a pick they really aren’t all that bad. I do hate the frantic rummaging when I have misplaced them though and I think how convenient it would be to have them permanently attached to my hands. . . .

Maybe in August you can give us a nail care class? Hee hee.

One comment regarding Pauline’s latest post, some of the articles I read warned against traveling with that super glue and baking soda trick on your person. . .something about being caught by security with unidentified white powdery substances. . . .(drug sniffing dogs come to mind. . .)

Mahalo for all of the wonderful input on this frustrating subject.

aka Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Karen
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2002 :  9:34:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Chris -

I have recently gone through the nail delimma myself. This past month I finally decided that I needed to grow my nails out to have more options for different sounds while playing.

Previously, I tried Alaska picks. They are way too loud and the plastic gets in the way if you want to use your finger for a softer sound. They also take a while to put on.

I was on Oahu a few weeks ago and picked up some Revivanail Extreme from a nail supply shop. It was cheaper - both in price and results. I found out from a friend about Nail Envy by O.P.I. and picked up some in Hilo at Macy's Hair Salon. The Nail Envy works great on my right hand. My left hand calluses are being destroyed by the nail remover, so I am only going to be using the Nail Envy on my right hand this next week. This stuff has been the best for my soft nails.

For cuticles that dry out, you might want to try some cuticle oil.

Not really knowing what would work for me, I started with the least expensive and time consuming option. Who knows, I may change to acrylics at some point in the future, but Nail Envy works for now.

Good Luck -
Karen

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2002 :  01:58:28 AM  Show Profile
I have contacts in the medical community - both very traditional and very alternate. I spent almostt 7 months on and off trying to look into what I could do for my fingernails. Bottom line - superb nutritionists all said that the only thing worth doing is eating a balanced diet or at least using a good multi-vitamin. (Did not check Eastern folks, but homeopaths had no solutions either.)) Two scientists who do a lot of work with cell chemistry said to stay away from putting any kind of stuff on your nails, it almost always weakens then. (They explained the science, but it went over my head.) This was completely consistent with my experience. Ozzie told me to keep them natural and well groomed. Use fine emery or a fine diamond file. He said in a year or so I would notice good nails. Absolutely the fact for me. Keola underscored the same point. One last thing -- I got a good pair of leather work gloves and anytime I do anything that might wreck the nails, I use the gloves -- that includes baggage check. Scr.. what it looks like -- it helps me keep good nails. Oh yeah, I find it really important to keep the curve on the sides of each nail on the right hand very smooth so there is no snag.
Raymond

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2002 :  6:35:27 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Raymond,

You are right on. We (Sarah and me) only use the glue or Nail Envy when we have an accident. I have real problem nails, too. If I can repeat what you said: *Never* cut your nails; always use the diamond file, and then, finer grits to polish the results. Take special care of the curves of of the nails on the right hand, once a week, or whatever (5 minutes once a week), and protect them when you do things in Real Life (tm). The Secret.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

bbauer
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  12:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbauer's Homepage
I've been taking an extra-strength multivitamin for quite some time now, and unfortunately it hasn't really helped. I wasn't really doing it for the nails, anyway.

My fingernails are amazingly thin; I've actually broken fingernails by doing things as innocent as shutting a normal house door. Seems like something you're born with and there isn't THAT much that can be done about it (other than keep them at a reasonable length).

-bb-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000