Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Aloha from Japan !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LONGBOARDER
Aloha

Japan
14 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  05:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit LONGBOARDER's Homepage
Aloha all !

This is Jiro Kawami living in japan.
I began to play slack-key about 5 years ago. Before I play slack-key,I had never played musical instruments even ukulele. So,I don't know how to play in standard tuning now. I only know a couple of slack-key tunings but I really enjoy to play it everyday.

Let me introduce my teacher. His name is Yuki Yamauchi. He is No,1 slack-key player in Japan I guess. I don't learn from him regularly but when I ask some question,he answers quickly. And he introduced me many people who love slack-key,and now I get along with them.
I thank him for giving me much aloha and teaching me to share.

Now in Japan, hula and ukulele are very popular, but slack-key is not.
Even most of people who play ukulele and do hula don't know about it.
When we explain about it we must start to explain from cattle in 1830's......

So I created website that deal with textbooks, videos about slack-key
and can communicate each other who love hawaiian music and slack-key.
I'd like to let Japanese people know about slack-key,Aloha,Share and so on. And I'd like to cooperate with you all !

Though my website is only written in Japanese,but you can write message in english at message board. Please try it.

I thank Andy for letting me know this cooooool website.
Thank you Andy ! Your e-mail was beggining.

I can write(or speak)english not so fluently,so I can explain my feelings not well. But I'm very happy to know this website and you all !

A hui hou !
Jiro Kawami.

www.slack-key.com

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  09:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey jiro,

that's a great website... i see your teacher has written a book as well!

geev um, brah!

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  2:20:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jiro,

I've just been admiring your site. I even left a message. I hope I didn't mess up someone's thread.

I see you mention the Raymond Kane video. Is it for sale? Is it in English or Japanese? Bruddah Chrispy is looking for a copy I think.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  2:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Jiro,

Thanks for posting. I am surprised that slack key is not very well known in Japan, but then again many tourists from the USA do not know slack key either. Glad your site is getting the word out! Can you get the Leonard Kwan book (red cover)? That one is hard to find these days, I think.

Regarding Uncle Ray's video, the one with the white cover (see below) is available from Uncle Ray directly. I spoke to Auntie Elodia who says she does not have any at the moment, but she can order more. She could have copies available in 2 weeks (if not faster). This is a great video if you want an opportunity to see Uncle Ray play up close. Not much instruction, but you can gain a lot by watching and listening.

Contact info:
Uncle Ray and Auntie Elodia Kane
89-103 Haleakala Ave, Waianae
HI 96792-4005
808-668-8682

Aloha,
Andy

Go to Top of Page

LONGBOARDER
Aloha

Japan
14 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  6:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit LONGBOARDER's Homepage
Hi Pauline,

I think I have defferent video from what bruddah chrispy is looking for.
Maybe what he is looking for is Lonetree production's one.
I have one but I want more of it for my website.
Once I write to Lonetree production to get it before,but I could not get reply from them.
I think this video is not only out of print now but also there is not Lonetree production now.(I guess)

Anyway, thank you for your visiting my website.I'm going to check it from now.

Mahalo nui,
Jiro.

Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2002 :  8:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Jiro,
How ironic, Jiro was my favorite character/guitarist as Kikaida. Here in Hawaii, Kikaida is being revived after some 25 years.

Keep up the good work...I am happy to know about your love for the Hawaiian Culture of Slack Key.

Talk to you soon.

Don Kauli'a

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

LONGBOARDER
Aloha

Japan
14 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  03:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit LONGBOARDER's Homepage
Hi Don,

"Kikaida"is "l‘¢lŠÔƒLƒJƒCƒ_["in Japanese,hapa machine,hapa human.
I used to watch "Kikaida" when I was 6~7years old.
I'm surprised to hear "Kikaida" revived in Hawai'i.
I'd like to listen and watch your playing in near future.

Jiro.

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  05:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Aloha from Maui, Hawaii Jiro!

I have a friend named Katsuhiko Sato. He too is from Japan, but now living here on Maui. Like you, he plays "Kiho'alu". He started off learning the ukulele. Then later on began to learn slack key. He is good in reading Slack Key Tableture, and plays alot of Raymond Kane's music. Perhaps you know him.

Your Teacher Yuki Yamaguchi, I got to see, and hear him perform on one of Hawaii's "Kiho'alu Festivals". I was very impressed with his style!
I was very surprised that "Slack Key" was played in Japan! Hey! You should get the word out to everyone in there on your website about the "Art of Kiho'alu"! Then do what we do here in United States and Hawaii....

What we would do is get together......we would meet somewhere, and together we all play "Slack Key"! Andy, myself, Sarah, Reid, Kawika and Uncle Sol Kawaihauole, just recently had a "Kiho'alu Jam Session here on Maui. We had a really great time!

Well Jiro.....You keep on doing what you're doing, and that is helping us here in Hawaii and the United States, perpetuate "The Art Of Kiho'alu". I think everyone should try and learn, and 'JUS PRESS!!!!!!
Hope to some day meet you here in Maui so we too can get together. Too bad there isn't a way for us to "BEAM-UP" and go places like they do in "StarTrek". ha! ha! ha! Wouldn't that be something huh?

Take care Jiro....Please give my Warmest Aloha to your Family in Japan! A Hui Hou!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  05:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Eh Don....Wassssssssup Brah!

Az only me Cuz....Bill (Bailey House, Kaanapali Choo Cnoo) Ha! ha! ha!
How you stay li'dat? I stay trying fo recamembah when da last time I wen spock yoh maka! Oh! Now I remembah! Was at dakines eatery (Ono Kine Kau Kau) Joe Bantilan's place! You guys wen jus drop-off one ceiling fan dat day....

So wey-yah you stay playing? I 'tink dat day I wen spock you, you said you wuz taking one break small-kine li'dat. Well anyways, I jus wanted fo drop-in fo say......WASSSSSSSSSSUPPPP!!!!!!!! A Hui Hou! I see you wen I see you my Braddah!

slackkey (Bill)

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  05:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Auwe!

Andy.....Look at what I did.....I made an identical Posting by mistake. Ahlah!!!! Sorry 'bout that! Is it posible to eliminate one of them? Mahalo! (all fixed! - Admin)

So how are you and Lynette doing? I hope you're both doing great! As for me....no complains! Well, except for this pilau (nasty) El Nino weather! The only good thing about it, is that spearfishing conditions are superb! I was going to do some spearfishing after I got off from work today. But I had to do some cooking again, so that idea i'll save for tomorrow pau hana time.

How is everything in New Jersey? How 'bout the weather? BTW! It just so happens I have that copy of "Leonard Kwan's Red Cover Slack Key Instruction Book". Unfortunately, I have a hard time trying to follow his Tabs. But I do love all the different Tunings that he has in this book! I also have the one that came with "Keola Beamers Instructional Video"! Now, I find his Tabs. a little more easy to follow.

Well, the time now is 12:49 in the morning (way past my bedtime) So I better be heading to bed. I have to wake up in about three hours.....
Take care! Tell Lynette I said hello! A Hui Hou! I gotta go!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

LONGBOARDER
Aloha

Japan
14 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  06:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit LONGBOARDER's Homepage
Aloha slackkey,

I'm afraid I don't know Katsuhiko Sato but I'm very happy to hear that
Japanese like him plays slack-key in Maui.
If you meet him please tell him to e-mail me. I also like to play
Uncle Raymond Kane's tune - Nahenahe style.
I just agree with your opinion,and yeah,I'll keep on doing what I'm doing.
I hope to meet you and get together in Maui or somewhere.
Thank you for your Aloha to my family,slackkey.

Mahalo,
Jiro.

P.S.
May I ask you question ?
What do you mean " li'dat"?

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2002 :  12:45:47 AM  Show Profile

Good Evening Jiro!

Okay....to answer your question in regards to (li'dat). Here in Hawaii it's called "Pidgin english"! If you look at the list of subjects here on TaroPatch, there is one titled "Pidgin". Now...the proper way to say li'dat is (like that!) Did I answer your question?

Ha! ha! ha! Time to time I like to make contact in "Pidgin English"! It seems there are some of our Friends here on TaroPatch.net that are learning "Pidgin". When Reid, Sarah and Admin was here on Maui, I spoke quite a bit of it!

Yes I will tell Katsuhiko about you, and have him e-mail when he can. I haven't seen him in quite a while. He is a Cook at a Restaurant here on Maui! I can't remember the name of it tho....But yes! I will tell him about you when I see him again.

Jiro! Never stop learning and playing "Kiho'alu"....Always find the time to play and broaden your Slack Key horizons. Don't be afraid to try and add your own unique style into what you already know! I do it all the time! It's very relaxing! Jamm every chance you get....Even with your instructor!

Also, take one of your favorite "Slack Key Tunes".....practice it say around five times or so.....You'll be very surprised at how the next few times are so different from the first time you play it! In other words, when practicing a song, don't try to play it exactly the same way. Instead, allow yourself to experience the changes.

Let make it earsier to understand.....Use a favorite song that you have as a guide-line. And when you learn it pretty well, add your own unique Stylings to it! When I play all of the songs that I like, I always add something of my own Stylings.

Take care Jiro! PLease give my warmest Aloha to your Family! Some day who knows! We might just one day cross paths with eachother and the rest of the "Hawaii Kiho'alu Connection", and the Mainland U.S.A.! "Sayonara"! A Hui Hou!

slackkey
P.S. May I ask you a question?
"LongBoarder".....Are you a longboard surf-rider?

Go to Top of Page

LONGBOARDER
Aloha

Japan
14 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2002 :  5:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit LONGBOARDER's Homepage
Hi slackkey,

I really came to make out 'bout "li'dat" fo your answer. Thanks !
Pidgin english iz interesting ! Lotza fun !
Li'dis ?

P.S. May I ask you a question?
"LongBoarder".....Are you a longboard surf-rider?

Yes, I'm a longboard surf-rider. You can see my photo at my profile.It's me !
I've surfed fo 'bout 20years and I enjoy it almost every weekend.
I've been to Oahu and Kauai fo surfing, but never to Maui.
So,I'd like to go to Maui someday. I hear there are lotza very good places to surf there.

Mahalo nui,
Jiro.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2002 :  9:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Longboarder,

That's really you?!?! Cool. So rad! Wish I could do that.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2002 :  08:55:38 AM  Show Profile

Aloha & Good Morning Jiro!

Great action photo! My largest board was a 7'! Yup! I use to surf myself many moons ago. That was in High School around 1969! Today, i'm more into Island free-style spearfishing. I enjoy that very much, and go every chance I get.

Yes! Maui has some really awesome "Surf Grounds". In fact, Ho'okipa Beach Park is well known area for all 'kine-styles of surfing. One of the great Competitions there is "Windsurfing". On other days, depending on conditions, it's open for LongBoarding, fast boards and BoogieBoards! Jet Skis are the latest additions. Then there's "JAWS"....

When you do make it to Maui, don't forget to bring da "kika" too! Then you can go LongBoard wave-riding while playing da kika! Ha! ha! ha! :O) When I first saw your posting, I kin-da figured you were a Surfer! I think if I were to try and get on a board again, it'll have to have an outrigger so I won't fall-off! :O(

Take care Jiro! Be SAFE when SURFING, and no fo-get fo 'JUS PRESS! Like always, please give my Warmest Aloha to your Ohana! Tell them I said hello! A Hui Hou!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  06:56:21 AM  Show Profile

Aloha Jiro!

The time right now here in Hawaii, is 1:33 in the morning. I was going through some of my favorite Hawaiian Music, and found the the Program of Bankoh Kiho'alu Festival 1999.

I metioned to you before that I had a chance to see and listen to your Slack Key Sensei perform during this Festival. I realize I was wrong, and that it was Kaoru Konoike of Japan who performed that day....Choto mate kura sai Jiro san.....Please forgive me....

Kaoru was also there with his Wife who with him sang Hi'ilawe! They sounded great! Well, Jiro san, I just wanted to let you know about Kaoru Konoike.

Take care! Please give my Aloha to your Ohana, and don't forget to 'JUS PRESS!!!!! A Hui Hou!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000