Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Who sounds similar to Moses?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  10:16:01 PM  Show Profile
I have been listening to my new favorite slack key artist Moses Kahumoku, his CD Ho'okupu "The Gift", and love it enough to wear it out! For tone and technique, I would imagine it is hard to beat. I havent analysed why I like it, I just do. Before this album, I had been a staunch steel string advocate. Now, I'm mixed up, but I like it!
I listened to clips of Sweet and Sassy with his brother George on 12 srting, but the sound isn't as good. It sounds too amplified.
The two others that the brothers recorded are out of print, and I have not heard any sound clips of them.
Here is my question, to more experienced listeners of ki ho'alu, is there anyone that plays 6 string nylon, and sounds similar in beautiful tone, and talent to Moses?
Until Moses records again, I need to discover another talent that I can adhere myself to! Or, I can keep playing this over and over til something wears off or out!
Mahalo for your thoughts!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  11:20:23 PM  Show Profile
My wife Kitty and I were very fortunate to have experienced Moses perform twice at the Hilo slack key festivals back in the 90's. I have a lot of slack key recordings and have been to a lot of slack key performances. I can't think of anyone that comes even close to doing what Moses does. When he performs on stage he brings an energy that infects the whole audience. The crowd just goes off when he plays. He isn't flashy. He shuffels on to the stage wearing jeans, a t-shirt and this great big smile! As you can tell by his CD his fingers fly and he makes it look effortless.

Ozzie Kotani plays some great slack key on a nylon string guitar on his first album. I recommend you get it if you don't have it already.

*Kawika
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  12:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Kawika, are you talking about Classical Slack? If so, do you know where copies are available? I've been trying to find a copy for the past year with no luck (I even asked Ozzie).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  3:26:51 PM  Show Profile
The cd I was refering to is "Kani Ki Ho'alu" which I thought was Ozzie's first recording. He plays a nylon string guitar on almost every song on that cd. I am not familiar with "Classical Slack".

*Kawika
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  11:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Kawika,
You and your wife sure are the lucky ones to have seen Moses perform twice, I imagine it was wonderful. I like the part where you say he came on to the stage wearing a T shirt, jeans and a big smile!
Let's hope other people will again be treated to the pleasure of his company, soon I hope.
I have Ozzie Kotani's CD on my to get list now, thank you!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  02:20:20 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget Ozzie's "To Honor a Queen" - a mix of nylon and steel- absolutely great arrangements, wonderfully played.

Ozzie did a Christmas Album with Steve Sano that is definitely worth having.

I also very much like steve's solo album - although a very different style than Moses. It is one of the albums that I listen to repeatedly.
Raymond
san Jose
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  1:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Also, remember that Keola plays his Grimes classical as often as (or maybe more than)his steel string guitar.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  11:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Kawika, RJS, Reid,
I am checking all of these out, if I haven't already, and thanks for your help.
If you think of anymore, I'll be right here in the patch!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  12:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Barry
I have some great news for you. Today I was at the Maui Borders to get Dennis Kamakahi's new c/d and I found a c/d called "Sweet and Sassy" by the Kahumoku Brothers "Hawaiian Slack Key Styling Vol. 1". It was originally recorded in 1988 and then remastered in 2001. I had never seen it until today. If you love to hear Moses play his nylon string guitar like I do, you have to get this recording ! The first track, my favorite, is called "Spanish Song" and Moses plays an incredible Spanish style slack key. Looks like it's available through Mele.com http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2167.htm
Dennis's c/d is great also. He and David play wonderfully together and Dennis does a narrative before each song, which a malihini like me really appreciates.
Aloha no, Kawika
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  01:13:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kawika,
Thanks for looking out for me, I have heard the samples of Sweet and Sassy on Mele before when I was looking for more Moses. I liked the songs-The Spanish Song is good- very different. I just don't like the plugged in acoustic sound. His acoustic sound on Ho'okupu is so good, it spoiled me rotten!
Dennis Kamakahi has a great voice and plays very well too. I have admired his music too. On his other album Ohana, with David, I really liked Ike Ia Ladana. There is so much good music out there, it's hard to decide how to go poor buying which cd first.
Oh well, music is a great tonic that makes us feel like no other thing, and the aloha we can pass around with it makes it all worthwhile!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000