Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Aloha from Japan !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LONGBOARDER
Aloha

Japan
14 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  9:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit LONGBOARDER's Homepage
Aloha slackkey,

Mr.Kaoru Kounoike is one of the best slack-key player in Japan,but I don't know well about him.
Because I met and talked to him only at once. But I think you'll like his playing if listen his couple of CDs.

By the way, I used to enjoy spearfishing many years ago,and I'd like to know 'bout Island free-style spearfishing. Sounds great !
How depth can you dive ? What do you get ? I can only 8~10 feet depth,but I really enjoyed.

A hui hou !
Jiro.

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  02:03:17 AM  Show Profile

Aloha Jiro!

I'm glad I was able to clear up my mix-up! I would love to have one of Kaoru's CD's to listen and enjoy. Unfortunately, I have not yet found his Cd here in Hawaii. Hmmmm...Perhaps I may have looked at wrong area in "Borders". Maybe tomorrow I'll go to try and find his Cd.

Island Free/Style Spearfishing is alot of fun! Here in hawaii, we call the ocean our icebox. Why we call it our icebox, is because whenever we feel like eating fresh fish, all we do is wait for a really great day with very nice and calm ocean-conditions, go to our favorite spot, and make a day of it begining very early in the morning!

Early morning dives are my favorite time for spearfishing. On a good day our catch can be at times plentiful! But we also try and practice how to only take what we can eat, and not get too greedy as a geture of respect to the ocean. There's always another day is how we feel, and this leaves alot for others to enjoy as well... But there are those who do over fish the ocean and it's resources. I'm not one of them i'm happy to say.

What's also great about Island Free/Style Spearfishing, we don't have to go to store to buy fresh fish! For me, I live only a short walk away from my favorite dive-spot that others share as well. Jiro! There is nothing more tasty than the freshly speared-fish we bring home to enjoy with Family!

I use to dive as deep as 40 to 50 feet without tanks (when I was alot younger!) Now I dive about the same depth as you....8' to 10'. These depths are safer, and you'd be surprised how much fish can be found there. I love to spearfish in the many reef holes around my favorite dive-spot.

The reef also harbors many spiny lobsters. But we would have to look for the prime spots where they hide during daytime. Best time to spear fish, and get lobsters are during dark night dives with no moon out. The only light we do have are our divelights.

The really cool thing about night dives, is how the fish are asleep, and not moving. Making them easy game. The only active games are the Manpachi (red soldier fish), the nightime octopus, aweo weo (don't know it's english name), the big-eyed aholehole (silver flag-fish)and finally the Hawaiian Spiny Lobsters that come out in hordes! All of it free! At no cost! Except for when we take lobsters during the summer when the season is closed.

But that only happens when the Game Wardens are on patrol look-out, and waiting to inspect what we have. And should they find lobsters, uh oh.....There will be a very large fine for each one found!

In Hawaii, we don't have to spend money for fresh fish. We just go to the icebox (the ocean)! But the greatest thing about not having to spend any money for the fresh fish we spear or pole-catch, is that we can make money by selling our catch! For me I'd rather share it with my Family, and enjoy the fresh catch.

Wow! I have practically written a book here on Island Free/Style Spearfishing! Ha! ha! ha! Someday Jiro we'll get together, play some Slack Key, and go spearfishing Island Style! But for now I hope keep in contact with you, and everyone else here on TaroPatch.net.

Take care Jiro! Please give my Warmest Aloha to your Family! But above all else.....remember to "JUS PRESS!!!!!!!!!! A Hui Hou!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  3:20:32 PM  Show Profile
slackkey,

I love to read your posts, full of sunshine.

Do you ever get phosphoresence when you dive at night? I remember one dark night up in the San Juan Islands, away from city lights, when every fish darting away from our little rowboat left a trail of light, every stroke of the oar left a streak and a spiral of light, and the wake of the boat was swirls of light. We get those plankton blooms now and then in the summer, but that was a special night.

I don't dive, but I can imagine being down below, waving my hand thru the water and leaving light behind, like Tinkerbelle in the Disney movie!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2002 :  4:44:40 PM  Show Profile

Aloha and a good Maui,Hawaiian Morning Pauline!

Phophoresence....As for the answer to that, well, here in Hawaii waters during a dive at night, when diving with a dive-light, I rarely notice it. I'm too busy scanning the grounds for sleeping game. It's like diving during daylight with a dive-light, and almost as lighted as day with it. Did I confuse you? Talk about a tongue-twister huh?

However, what is really noticable and at a constant glow are tiny reef-life floating around me.....very "kewl"! It's also not hard to spot hordes of spiny lobsters! Their eyes sparkle (glow) from the reflection of my diving light. You have plankton, we have tiny shrimplets! A Hui Hou!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

LONGBOARDER
Aloha

Japan
14 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  04:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit LONGBOARDER's Homepage
Same as pauline's opinion,I also love to read slackkey's post.
I can feel real hawaiian lifestyle in his post.
I wish I was there.......

Jiro.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000