Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How to strengthen fingernails
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  3:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message

Is there any way to strengthen fingernails? Mine are fairly brittle and will break or tear easily.

Chris

--
Chris Griffin

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  3:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Chris,

One product to use is like a nailpolish. Made by O.P.I. It's a bit pricey, at about $12 a bottle, but it works well.

"OPI MATTE NAIL ENVY: Formulated specifically for men and women who desire the same extraordinary nail strengthening benefits of Original Nail Envy with an invisible, totally natural-looking matte finish. Matte Nail Envy is also a superior base coat for natural nails! Apply every other day. Remove weekly with OPI Polish Remover and repeat application."

You can find sources on the web doing a search. I don't know why they say "apply every other day", but I guess you could -- depending on your nails. And by the way it isn't *totally* matte -- but it beats a highgloss shine.

Other people swear by acrylic nail tips, or acrylic nails. From what I understand, the downside of those is that they actually weaken the natural nail underneath, over time.

Aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  9:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi chris,

for what it's worth (not much), i've found that my fingernails have become more durable once i started taking vitamin B regularly (for another reason).

i have no idea if the connection is causal...

i also noticed that there are some things that i do that stress my fingernails on my right hand (that is, the long ones). trying to open certain objects, for example, can cause a lot of stress to be applied to a fingernail. if i apply enough stress, then it will bend, and the crease doesn't completely become invisible; i see a faint light band. when that crease grows out, it's where the nail will break.

something with flying is terrible with my fingernails. i think that it's wrestling with suitcases above and under seats, or maybe tearing into those impenetrable peanut snacks.

i never thought when i moved from bluegrass to hawaiian music that i would spend so much time obsessing over fingernails. my wife, who keeps her nails short, thinks that this is a riot. mutter.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies! I'll check out that product, and I'll also start on some B-vitamins. I heard through a different source that Biotin can be helpful, and Biotin is considered one of the B-vits.

I just don't want to take any gelatin because I'm strictly vegetarian.

Back when I played classical guitar religiously I obsessed on my nails constantly. AT the time my diet was horrible and I was going through some severe detoxing in terms of chemicals and bad mental, emotional and spiritual stuff coming up. I'm happily at a much better space now, so maybe I won't have the same problems with my nails!

Blessings,
Chris

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  11:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Chris,

I recently tried (unsuccessfully) to grow my nails, and I think it is because of detox issues as well, from a lifetime of poor diet and life issues. Don’t you think Slack Key is wonderful medicine?

I gave up on my quest (for now) for natural nail playing due to a nasty tendonitis that I believe is part of that detox process for me – the nails threw my hands into a position that exacerbated the problem of pain and inflamation.

One topical product that I did find helpful was from DeLore; it is simply called “DeLore Nails.” It claims to be a nail hardener AND a cuticle softener. How it can do both simultaneously is beyond me, but it seems to. Unfortunately, it only comes in a small nail polish sized bottle and up here in dry Alaska it takes a LOT of the stuff to help. As I understand it, the Delore folks began their work in the equestrian realm creating products to strengthen horses hooves!! I suppose we could just wander down to the local feed, seed and tack shop. . . .

You’re right about gelatin not being vegan, but as I understand it, any relationship between eating gelatin and strengthening nails is merely an old wives tale anyway, hee hee.

While I was on my quest for the perfect nails I saved these websites for reference, maybe they will inspire you in some helpful direction!

http://www.longmire.com/nails/

http://www.neatone.com/nailcare.htm

http://www.guitartips.addr.com/tip05.html

http://www.classic-guitar.com/lesson4.html

http://www.users.bigpond.com/billty/nails.html

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~marklong/class/ping.htm

http://www.folica.com/nailcare/delore_onymyrrh.htm

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/gfaqs/hands.htm

http://www.flamencoshop.com/flamencoguitar/guitarnails.htm

http://www.sbgs.org/newsletter/spring98/pages/Spring98-6.html

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/acoustic/hand/nails.htm

http://www.guitarsite.com/nails.htm

Happy veggies to you!!

aka Deborah
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  12:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Chris,

I've put various expensive polish type formulations on my nails, quite faithfully at the beginning, but the nails continued to peel. They also developed transverse grooves or valleys because I painted all the way back to the cuticle. Seemingly they don't like being sealed, so for the next batch I left the moons bare and no more grooves appeared.

My latest batch of snake oil lacquer is by Almay readily found at Rite-Aid at about a quarter of the price of other things I'd used. Their Daily Dose Fluoride is fairly thin and wicks into delaminations and cracking to bond them together. It dries almost instantly.

Now I use it on peeling or cracking nail tips to help hold them together for a day or two more. That's all. It and all of the other promising products did not deliver, they did not stop cracking or peeling, and I have a feeling that they may have exacerbated the problem, but that's just a feeling, no fact. For the same reason, I don't use acrylic nails or nail tips.

Nails will crack along a ridge in the direction from tip to cuticle, not that deeply of course, so buffing out ridges on the surface of your nail may prevent the problem. I usually remember after the fact and can't vouch for this.

Using a buffer on nail tips to remove irregularities and make them super smooth will keep them from catching on things and enlarging the irregularities.

Me? I've pretty well given up and keep them short. I'd love to have long classical player's nails, but it's not in the cards.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  12:14:41 PM  Show Profile
SlackKeyShelby/Deborah,

Right! I forgot DeLore. I don't know that it helps nails, but it's great on cuticles and hangnails, makes 'em purty, too, by taking away any dry look. It softens skin enough to take away the pain from cracked finger-tip skin, you know how it will crack around the fingernail.

I've also read that super glue repairs skin cracks! Haven't tried it.

Pauline

PS to Chris - Wear rubber gloves while doing dishes. Always.

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 05/15/2002 12:16:48
Go to Top of Page

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  3:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Aloha gang

I get four of my nails done with acrylic by Kent at Maui Mall. He is an artist. He does several local guitar players. I have them filled about every 3 to 4 weeks. They work really well on steel or nylon strings. I have used them for about 3 years and have not experienced any adverse effects from it. I have always had very healthy nails but need the extra strength because I am an aircraft mechanic. Something interesting I learned recently was Keola Beamer uses his natural nails only and they looked really great.

Aloha no, Kawika

Go to Top of Page

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  5:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
Kawika,

If I may borrow some terminology from Ayurveda: Keola is quite clearly a Kapha type, and most Kapha types have thick moist hair and nails.

I am a Vata, dry, thin. I've thought about going about this the ayurvedic way to enhance Kapha, but there are few herbs that help me do that without aggravating allergies. I think that Licorice root is my best bet there, and it also contains Biotin, which supposedly helps the nails.

I'm gonna have to get some rubber gloves as my wife leaves all the dishes for me!

Chris

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  11:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Okay, I'll ask... Ayurveda? Vata?

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, but this is the first I've ever heard these terms. So, even if I sound uninformed, which as far as this goes, I am... if I don't ask, I'll nevah know, eh?

jwn

p.s. Being I know a little about the subject of nails and fingerpicking, see separate posting (to follow) on this topic.

Hi Jwn,

I apologize for throwing around some obscure terms. Vata/Kapha/Pitta are the three constitution types from Ayurveda, the traditional form of medicine from India. Ayurveda has been in existence for thousands of years, and has recently gotten quite popular in the US and around the world. Although many people think of Ayurveda and Yoga in terms of being "New Age", there is really actually nothing "new" about them. Truly speaking, Ayurveda is just the traditional form of healthcare indigenous to the Indian subcontinent.

In addition to having an interest in music (guitar and drumming), I also am a somewhat fanatical amateur herbalist.

In case someone is interested, I did some digging around and found that the following herbs all seem to be indicated for hair and nail health:

Locorice, Gotu Kola, horsetail, nettle, oatstraw, flax oil/evening primrose. Looks like it's quite important to get the right fats in the diet.

Blessings,
Chris

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  1:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Wow John - that was a lot of info.

Here's my experience:

- Number 1, I hate having long nails
- First, I tried a thumb pick (a la Uncle Ray)
- Played without nails (with and without thumb pick) for a while
- I saw Keola and Ozzie's nails and decided to try it
- I kept my nails grown out for almost a year
- 2 days ago, I cut my nails

Yesterday, I picked up the guitar, and it just wasn't the same. Without nails, it is so hard to play an arpeggio. And, you cannot get the same attack when you want it.

Reid and Sarah showed me a while back that you do not need monstrous nails to play. Something just a little longer than your fingertip can suffice. My problem is that when I grow my nails out, they seem to have a strong curvature which does not make for the best picks.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  2:15:42 PM  Show Profile
jwn, good description. You almost have me convinced to get acrylic nails.

All,

One I forgot is silk wraps, three layers. I repaired a broken pinky nail with two layers so can't personally vouch for playing with this, but some classical players I know on-line are enthusiastic about silk wraps. Two of them complain about natural nail shapes and say they can correct it by using a little judicious pressure as the glue dries. Offhand I can't recall steel stringers using silk wraps, but it should work.

Heard of -

Some nylon players use a piece of ping pong ball glued under the nail tip. Really!

Some steel stringers use super glue and baking soda to reinforce their nails, a la fingerstylist Pierre Bensusan. Word is that he has joined jwn and now uses acrylic nails.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  3:26:11 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

I have all the problems that everyone else has described (jammed finger, thin nails, ridges and curvature, and more) but I use my own nails, as you said, and so does Sarah. We repair them with glue only when forced to and cover *only* the tip with Nail Envy when forced to.

About *your* curvature: the secret is not to let the nail grow much past your fingertip and just to file to shape. The nail should be just long enough so that, when your flesh touches the string, the nail just covers the string. John Thomas confirmed that his flesh always touches the string just before he plucks. The "white" part of my nail end is never more than 3/32". Filing to shape means filing the sides off, making a rounded point, just the shape of a pick. Also, we both (Sarah and I) make the apex assymetric - toward the little pinky of the 4 fingers and the thumb away from the fingers. The assymetry removes much of the lateral curvature. Note the way (angle)your fingers and nails contact the string (at an angle) and then shape accordingly. I also polish *under* the nail to remove ridges and hooks. I always test my fingernails before and after filing them by watching my right hand as I play slowly and see what needs to be removed in order not to hook the string.

This takes no more than 5 minutes once a week.

At Camp, the only thing that Keola praised me for was the shape of my nails (true, but sad) :-)

If you are still having trubs with the nails when we next meet, 20 seconds of demo will clear it all up.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  3:32:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I forgot.

Lots of folks mess up their nails because they pluck too violently. One of the reasons we have good guitars (in general, to compensate for my inadequacy as a player) is that they are sensitive (loud) without requiring much plucking force. Also remember that slack key is supposed to be nahenahe - soft and gentle and flowing. One of the techiniques that Sarah uses, and I try, too, is to *slip* the nail off the string rather than snap it off.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  5:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i've learned the hard way that the nails don't need to be too long to work.

i use my nails to play the uke, though - on the uke i like to both pick and strum. with the guitar, i've become addicted to "alaska" picks. i could probably learn to play without them, but they work really well for me. the only way i can do a trill in that flaminco style is with picks.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  9:12:16 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou,
I don't play the guitar, but just in general I have noticed that my nails and hair grow a whole lot better when I take a good Mega multi-vitamin.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000