Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Favorite artist/s?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  1:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
I'm always interested in why people like a certain artist or style of music. With that said, who is/are your favorite slack key artist/s and why?

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  1:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Raymond Kane is my personal favorite, although I like a lot of other artists. I could give you a technical analysis of why, but what it boils down to is that his music touches my soul more consistently than that of any other artist.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Moses Kahumoku is clearly my choice. His guitar work is excellent, with great diversity, and played with great feeling.

E malama pono
Jeff

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  3:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Guess I'm a die-hard keola fan...but I always lean toward my first encounters...lately though I've been getting into the crisp smoothness of John Keawe...for some reason that guy relaxes the heck out of me!...ahh...So many artists..so little time!
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  1:10:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm a John Keawe fan for just listening. Cyril Pahinui can do some very emotional music. Dennis Kamakahi gets my nod for the sheer number of his songs that I like. He's the reason I got into Ki Ho `alu.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  4:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Sarah and I find it *impossible* to have only one favorite artist, or 10 favorite artists for that matter. It really depends on the song and the mood.

Sometimes Andy has been our favorite, and I am not kidding. There was one time we were in the kitchen and we heard this ethereal music coming from our living room. We raced out there, thinking some new CD was on the player and it was Andy noodling on my McGill classical. He just said:"This guitar is very expressive." We just gaped.

And how about that medley by Dean (BreezePlease) on the TP Collection CD? If that doesn't rip your heart out, you are not human. I don't know how Dean got 2 Old Chestnuts like Aloha `Oe and Isa Lei to sound so new and wonderful.

Sometimes Sarah is my favorite player (always my favorite everything else). You should hear her sometimes in our living room.

Whever we hear Kevin or Don or Uncle Ray or Keola or or Ozzie or John Keawe or Sonny or Gabby or Cyril or Led or Ned or Makana or Willie or George or... we are in Heaven. This isn't just lack of discrimination either, since there are pieces played by lots of them that we program out of the CD, or particular CDs we don't get. But, we love them all and Sarah has learned from them all.

What riches.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

smiley
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  4:58:11 PM  Show Profile
Gabby and the Makaha Sons. On a really dark and cold day, Gabby singing Hi'ilawe is everything good. (Just saw Cyril sing it last week, and that was very beautiful and emotional, too!)

janis
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  9:22:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Darin,
I will 2nd Jeff's choice of Moses Kahumoku, as heard on his Ho'okupu CD-the only solo recording that he made.
His artistry on the guitar, and the pure quality of the recording-no amplification or distortion-just beautiful acoustic nylon stringed guitar-with all it's tonal subtleties, and the wonderful music that is just full of aloha-just waiting to be heard. And he can sing too!
My other favorites for instrumental style and artistry are Cyril Pahinui, Ledward Kaapana(I also like their singing voices), and I have a new friend John Keawe that plays beautiful music for me too. Of course, Bob Brozman is a most gifted slide player that also plays for me!
It's easy to have favorites among all the wonderful musicians, but the more you listen, you find new friends and favorites, and the list keeps getting longer. Then, it's just hard deciding which favorite to listen to, when. We are truly blessed to be able to share this delightful music, don't you think?
ps I thought about it a little bit, and if I can sum up a reason why I like an artist, it probably has something to do with a clean, clear style, when you hear every note, and it is skillfully executed in time and technique, and on a recording where you can appreciate the performer's skills and the beautiful tone of the instrument comes through unaltered(let's keep acoustic instruments unplugged for recording!) and simply represented(you don't need 23 instruments unless it's a symphony-and then you might actually need some more)!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 02/15/2004 9:53:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  12:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
While we're on the topic of unplugged guitar artistry, check out freehand by our own Don Kauli`a...he coaxes sounds out of a steel string that you didn't know were there!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/17/2004 01:37:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  12:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
I just watched the VHS video "Ki Ho`alu: That's Slack Key Guitar." I love the older generation of players, especially Sonny Chillingworth. I remember being introduced to Sonny's music in high school. Dancing Cat was just starting to roll. A new crop of Hawaiian musicians had hit the scene (Hapa, Reichel, Hawaiian Style Band with Robi and Fiji, Makaha Sons splitting with Iz). Sonny was in his final year. I remember people sending their love to Sonny from the slack key festival in Honolulu. I think it was either 1994 or 1995. Very moving. I guess his music takes me to that time in my life.

Great to hear everyone's thoughts and feedback.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  7:59:30 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of Don Kauli`a, for those of you in the Kailua-Kona area, I just read in the Journal that he will be playing at Borders this coming Friday the 20th at 6:00pm, to promote his new CD. I plan to be there!

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

launie
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  9:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit launie's Homepage
Choosing a favorite is too tough - it all depends on my mood. But I know I always feel good when I listen to George Kahumoku; and hearing either Keoki Kahumoku or Owana Salazar brings back memories (we discovered slack key through them on our trip to Maui); and Sonny Chillingworth just makes me melt.

Each musician has a special way and there's something to enjoy in all their playing - something to learn, too. In truth, I just can't get enough of this stuff.

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  10:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
Craig, mahalo nui loa for introducing me to Don Kauli'a. I went to the link on CD Baby and had a good listen-some real pretty stuff there! I really liked Saddle Road Slack, Napo'opo'o Shuffle, and Tears...Aloha 9 Eleven...among the others. Thanks again, it's always nice to find a new surprise and another talent!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

RichardH
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  04:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichardH's Homepage
Hey folks,
I overheard you all talking about great slack key players, and was happy that you included Donald Kauli'a. Most of his peers also know him as an acomplished instrumentalist.

Donald and I had been seeing each other and talking about an album at the Gabby festivals for a few years, and was happy when he moved to the Big Island and we made 'Slack Key... in the Key of Aloha' this fall.

My wife Karen and I just got back from Donald's gig at Border's this evening here in Kailua-Kona, and he was simply awesome. Normally Border's gigs last about 30 minutes, but Donald played and sang for almost an hour and a half, and nobody left. He played the Tears of Aloha 911 song and people became quite emotional.

By the way, I listened to the CDbaby Mp3s they put up, and although they sound ok, you gotta get the CD, put it on a good stereo or listen to it through a good walkman with decent headphones.
I'm real, real proud of what Donald did on that album.

Richard Harrison

Richard
Grass Shack Records
Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  3:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Gabby, Cyril, Led, Tommy Solomon, George Kuo and Leonard Kwan are the folks I enjoy the most.
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  11:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi RichardH,

I thoroughly enjoyed Donald's gig at Borders, it was Excellent! There were everal novel sounds. I asked him afterward if he had more performances scheduled in the area--he seemed a bit overwhelmed (people seeking autographs)--so I didn't get an answer. Let us know if you happen to hear of anything! Mahalo for the post. I don't know if he teaches, but I believe he would be a good instructor.

A side note, since this thread is about favorite players: Too many to pick just one, however

Ledward is at the top (for variety of style, great voice, emotion and expression of mood + good stories)
along with Jeff Peterson (same reasons),
Keola Beamer, (same reasons)
George Kahumoku, (same reasons)
Barry Flanagan (unbelievable things he can do with a guitar.
and John Keawe

Since I am also a blues fan, I especially like Hawaiian songs that have been embellished with some of the blues notes.

Nahenahe

Edited by - jmk on 02/22/2004 12:00:13 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000