Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Favorite artist/s?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  11:49:57 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e jmk,

quote:
Since I am also a blues fan, I especially like Hawaiian songs that have been embellished with some of the blues notes.

Have you heard Leonard's 'Opihi Moemoe as interpreted by "our own" Mark Nelson? - it's called 'Opihi Blues and it's on his CD. (He does a killer version live )

(see http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1340 for earlier TP discussion of his CD, and http://www.cdbaby.com/marknelson/ for soundclips)

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

RichardH
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  12:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichardH's Homepage
Hi JMK,
Thanks for the comments about Donald. Donald is stretched a bit thin right now...his father who lives in Oahu, got terribly sick in December, and Donald has been flying over there every other week. Donald works for Grace Pacific as the general supervisor, and does a lot of jobs that either run over into the weekend, or can only be done on the weekends. So, we have been reluctant to stretch any thinner until his dad gets better.

If you send me an email with your phone number, I'll call you when he has a gig, and I can give you his number so you can aks him your questions directly. He will hopefully be sitting in with Kona Bob's band at the Kona Brewpub on occasion, but it will be on a basis that he is available, of course. I also an thinking about booking the Aloha Theatre for a concert this spring. And we have a couple of promotional gigs with Borders in Oahu planned for later in March that we have committed to, because he is flying over there as I spoke to earlier.

Mahalo for the interest JMK,

Best Aloha,
Richard

Richard
Grass Shack Records
Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  03:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Darin...shows you how behind I am in slack key...just now finally heard some George Kuo on dancing cat!...what ona!..could listen to this old style all day long...wonder if he has any tab out there to some of the songs on "Aloha No Na Kupuna."...SWEET...Ken.
Go to Top of Page

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  2:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone Liko Martin, Brothers Caz, Leonard Kwan, Peter Moon, are some of the best I think. have a great day everyone!!! (Want a bass? check out the classifieds section) email me!!!
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  6:56:39 PM  Show Profile
A favorite is hard to pick. I met with John Keawe in January and was blown away. I think one has to return to their roots to choose. I really enjoy Dennis and Cyril. Ray is the ultimate. Patrick (Landeza) has been an inspiration to me. I recently took a workshop with Ozzie, George, Keoki and Daniel Ho - what true resources. Keola, as of late, has been one of my real inspirations. However, regardless of recent occurences, Doug McMaster has to be for me the ultimate inspiration. Mahalo, Doug.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  2:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
From the frigid north come several names for my selection of "favorite". After reading many of the responses, i must concur that there are so many good ones it it hard to chose. Almost like good food; my favorite meal is the one I am eating at the moment!
At any rate, my first exposure was a public radio concert with Led Kaapana. He continues to impress me, as does Keola Beamer. Several years ago I met Bobby Moderow and his band, MaunaLua. I guess that experience cemented my passion for slack key, and I just love their first CD for both the musicianship and the singing. On my last trip to Hawaii i found the Don Kauli'a CD, which is also a favorite. And, we were just treated to the fearsome threesome of Cyril, Dennis, and Cindy in Fairbanks a month ago and that put Cindy on my list. Also met and got a lesson from Patrick Landeza who was very inspiring. Nothing like personal meetings to raise someone's standing on the scale, eh?
Oh, and every once in a while, sitting on the edge of the couch, a soothing sound comes from my guitar as i actually "get" something for the first time, and at that moment, however fleeting, I am my favorite.
OK, so that only happened once, big deal:> I am trying with all my might, every day to get better, but i doubt I will ever be on anyone else's list.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  9:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Yeehaa,
Favorite for me, with a username like huiohana, has got to be uncle Led Ka'apana and even uncle Ned. I am starting to really get into country music, older stuff like Hank and Marty Robbins, and I was wondering what they would sound like singing along with kiho'alu. I love when uncle Led sings country, too. A hui hou...Keali'i K.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  11:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Aloha, Keali`i,

Have you heard the Marty Robbins Hawaiian CD? It's pretty sweet.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page