Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taropatch.net 2004 CD - reactions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Uncle Tim
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  3:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Uncle Tim an AOL message
Craig, I am floored by the professional appearance and sound quality of the CD. Mwwaa, mwwaa, to you and Sarah! Anyway, no need to reply, but just wondered if you are sending Dancing Cat a copy. They might want to produce it. And then, because I'm such a ditz sometimes, maybe you've already covered that base.
Aloha,
tim
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  4:43:47 PM  Show Profile
I agree with tim maybe we should send a copy to Dancing Cat.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  5:05:36 PM  Show Profile
No harm in sending Dancing Cat a copy -- but don't hold your breathe -- reliable "source" tells me that their finances are not exactly in a great situation
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  1:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Taropatch.net Ohana,
Just got my CDs and listened to it 3 times through to let it soak in. So, I thought I'd get up here and praise each and every artist and song, but that might make the longest post in history! I can't even pick a favorite ~ you are all so talented, spirited and full of Aloha! The CD is like a beautiful tapestry we have all woven ~ each of us a thread. I cannot say enough, and humbly appreciate being a part of it. Mahalo nui loa to Craig and Sarah for pulling it all together. Wow!

About sending it to Dancing Cat ~ I know my Mom is dying to buy a copy!
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  1:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
It was a good time last nite, sitting in the cool comfort of my kau kau lanai (Kam Drive Inn anyone?) enjoying my own mini slack key festival.Thanks to everyone for sharing your talents, you were all great! And to Craig and Sarah, wow! Awesome job! And thanks to Raymond for starting this last year! Aloha, Lee.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  2:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Craig/Sarah--

Any chance of displaying the CD cover here so we can all see the buzz??? The selections at Soundclick are awesome! It's great to hear some vocals too! Beautiful.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  5:10:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Duke,
Here is a picture of the CD Cover.

See, they made a beautiful 19 page booklet insert, with taropatch.net logos all around. There's even CD Art! Though there's 2 CDs with it (just 1 in the pic). Excellent job Sarah and Craig! And *fantastic job* everyone who contributed!
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  6:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Beautiful! Exquisite! Awesome! Maika'i!

Thanks for putting it up Stacey

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  02:37:18 AM  Show Profile
Outstanding work with the Graphics Sarah !

The booklet puts even the Dancing Cat Tomes to shame!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Was reading the liner notes for #39 "Grass Shack":

"Recording Info: One microphone in front of Michael on vocals"

Pretty good "pickup" for just one microphone don't you think?

E Konabob?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/19/2004 02:42:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  03:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
The CD book and case are a work of art. I'd love to know if Sarah used an off-the-shelf CD design program or if it was freehanded in another program. Who knows when I might have to design a CD someday. Also, was the book printed on a computer printer on a printing press?
The book is full of great nuggets about each player and the technical info about each recording. Fortunately I haven't driven off the freeway yet while listening and trying to read liner notes at the same time.
Mahalo,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  4:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

Just some observations about the CD.

I suppose some of you have an idea about the work that Craig put into it, but as a close observer, who did nothing, let me tell you a few more things. In addition, to being cat-herd (getting everyone to do what they were supposed to do), sound engineer, mail boy, contributor, CD producer, Craig had other things that were visited upon him.

He had to put up with guys like me who don’t know how their software works. n-Track brought in Sarah’s stereo cassette recordings as 2 tracks, not 2 channels, and mixed them down to mono. I discovered this *after* burning the CD and sending it to Craig. So, he took pity on me and let me send him another CD with tracks panned hard left and right. (I ditched n-Track and broke down and bought AA 1.5 for the future, which works like you would suppose it should).

Then, after Sarah had assembled the booklets and printed the case liners and CD labels, we realized that the poor SOB would have to put all the labels on 100+ discs (with accuracy), fold and insert 50+ case liners and 50+ booklets – all by himself. We tried to figure out a way to help him, but he had the CDs, and mailing the stuff back and forth across the continent would not have worked well.

There are just some jobs that require brains, attention to detail and tedium, and this was one of them. I could not have done it. My hat is off to Craig.

Speaking of these characteristics, you should know that each of the nine leaves (times 50+) of each booklet was sliced by hand and eye with your basic paper cutter. They could not be stacked because they would not have cut evenly. Then, they were lined up carefully and hand stapled with a humongous stapler. This will tell you something about why Sarah has the patience to put up with me.

On to the music:

It always surprises me (pleasantly), but should not by now, how artistry and feeling trump technology. No matter what strange or primitive mechanisms were used, the beauty of the music and the emotion the music embodies, came through. Cheapo mics, compressed MP3s and MDs, old hissy mag tapes, less than perfect recording spaces, and on and on, just did not obscure the final product.

There is one techie thing we just have to get Fran to tell us, though. With all the permutations of possible places, how do you finally find the spots to tape miniature mics that make your guitar sound so good? There must have been a bazillion factorial possibilities.

Then, Jesse has to tell us how he sings so wonderfully, and wonderfully Local. I wouldn’t think that sound could be learned on the Mainland. I would love to hear him and Sarah sing a duet. Wanna come East, Jesse?

Then, Stacey has to tell us (me, with my defective hands, especially) how she plays so smoothly and beautifully with the aftermath of a broken hand. Stacey gets it.

Another person who gets it is Bing. Bing was in the Beginners class with me at the first Aloha Music Camp. But Bing can play legato, connected, nahenahe, and I can’t. Bing, you have super slack key tone production and a super Grimes sound comes through whatever recording outfit you used.

I could go on and on, naming names, but all of you should be really pleased with yourselves and your Taro Patch friends.

…Reid

PS. For those of you learning Hawaiian, or wanting to, the English translation of the Hawaiian “Na Mahalo” that Sarah wrote is quite literal and gives you the sense of Hawaiian speech patterns.

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  11:07:46 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Jesse,

I used Adobe InDesign, a page layout program, to lay up the line notes project, and I let the logo inspire my design. In InDesign, I created four files: one for the booklet, with 10 pages; one for the cd stickers; one for the back cover; and one for the inside of the back cover. I also used several Hawaiian language fonts, which I had purchased quite a few years ago.

I also used Photoshop to edit the logo images: Andy was able to provide me with a small logo and a large tiff of the guitar without the words on it. As the small logo was web-sized, I couldn’t use it for print: too blurry. So I rebuilt the logo in InDesign from a large .eps (made from the tiff) of the guitar and using the same font to write the words anew.

I printed everything on a laser color printer. For the booklet pages, after laying them up to correspond to how they would actually be printed, not how they “read” in the booket, I printed first one side of the spread (multiple copies) and then re-inserted all those pages into the tray and printed the flip side of the spread. The labels were straightforward printing; the back insert and its interior were more difficult to line up as the heavy weight of the stock was not so printer-friendly, and I pretty much had to babysit the machine, guiding each piece as it fed in.

Oh, and the order of the songs was dictated by how to fit the long and short names/titles around the hole in the middle of the cds!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, you have a wonderful sense of design and a command of the tools. Thank you for your time and effort.

Craig, what can I say? It was a labor of love, Mahalo.

Contributors, well done!!!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  12:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo! Great work, Sarah! It takes great patience to design, then line up and print double-sided copies with a computer printer. It came out looking very elegant.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  2:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
What an amazing project! The effort by Craig and Sarah. . . the sharing of music from everyone. . . just wonderful. You are all great.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000