Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taropatch.net 2004 CD - reactions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  2:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Thanks for the compliments everybody...it was definitely a labor of love on both sides of the country! I'd also like to mention that my 8-year-old daughter, Rachel, made a significant contribution to assembling and labeling the CDs.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  6:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
There were quite a range of recording methods involved in the contributions. I thought the best recording quality was Darin's "Meditation", which just rumbled the floorboards of my car with the opening bass notes. It's a beautiful song, too. It was recorded on a stand-alone hard disk recorder. David Nye and Fran Guidry, both with original instrumentals, also attained amazing sound quality using computer recording software.
For those who have used both stand alone recorders and software, which do you prefer?
I'd like to make better recordings and I'm not sure if I should buy a hard-disk recorder or stick with computer recording with Garageband as I'm doing now.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  2:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Jesse,

If you're using Garageband, does that mean you have a Mac? If so, I highly recommend an MBox with ProTools (they're sold together). The street price is about $450. Amazing for the price. The MBox has two inputs, which allows for stereo recording of the guitar. Also, the ProTools software is awesome, mainly for editing. That way, if you want to splice tracks together, you can do it without seamlessly. The main concern for someone like you that sings and plays is you can't do a stereo recording of the guitar and record your voice simultaneously since that would require three inputs.

The biggest problem for acoustic guitarists with stand alone hard disk recorders (at least the ones from Roland) is the inability to do seamless editing. In other words, unless there is a silent spot in the song, you have to play the song all the way through in one take. Also, a hard disk recorder with the kind of quality to match a ProTools setup will cost over $1000. The benefit to hard disk recorders is the ease of having all the buttons at your fingertip, as opposed to clicking a mouse. I also use the hard disk recorder as a mixer for live gigs, allowing live recordings to be made of the gig being mixed.

Darin

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  2:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

I thought the best recording quality was Darin's "Meditation", which just rumbled the floorboards of my car with the opening bass notes. It's a beautiful song, too. It was recorded on a stand-alone hard disk recorder.
I agree. Darin did get a great recording sound and it was a lot of fun reading through the liner notes to see who did what.

FYI, anyone interested in hearing more of Darin should check out his CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/leong. All originals, all instrumentals and some really great music.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  12:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'd join jaydub in giving my stringed instruments the heave-ho if I didn't already have my sights set on next year's TP.net CD. It's amazing the quality of players that are hanging around here. Given enough time, most of the guitarists involved to put out a whole quality CD of their own. Many have, for their own enjoyment or to share.
I hope even more people get involved and we have to run a 3 or 4 CD set next year, or whenever it happen again. We should give cpatch and Sarah a breather, too, between projects.
Thanks to Dave Nye for off-forum answers to my recording questions.
me ke aloha pumehana,
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  09:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Jaydub,

Thanks for buying the cd. I was working on doing an actual website, but work has been too busy, so the hawaiiguitar site just goes to cdbaby for now.

Unfortunately, I haven't been teaching recently or creating tabs. I don't think there's much interest for lessons in NYC.

take care,
Darin

Darin
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  09:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hey Dave,

Can you post more about your recording techniques on the forum? I'd love to hear, and your equipment list has my mouth watering. Those Grace pre's are amazing.

Darin

Darin
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  10:27:36 AM  Show Profile
Darin,

Give me a day or two and I'll start a new thread about recording techniques. Since this one is about reactions to the TP CD I didn't think it appropriate to go in another direction. And I know it'll start the recording wars (ie, the TAB wars, Workshop levels wars, platform wars etc). Yes, the Grace pres are the bomb, but in combination with the Earthwork OTCs, wow.

As for the TP CD. I too am in awe of the abilities of our TP bretheren (an sisteren). Meditation is an exquisite song. I wish I'd written it. I remember listening to a few of the players a couple years back. The difference between now and then is amazing. Lots of Woodshedding going on. I especially liked Narup's comment about writing songs. I too have a problem learning other peoples material because I start noodling and the next thing I know I'm off writing a new song. That's why Kanikapila is so important; it helps me to focus on the song at hand. I remember Sarah's lovely voice and playing at the first Aloha Music Camp. I was really struck by that. And now it's so much richer and confident. I could go on and on (I usually do), but suffice it to say we did a grand job. And yes, let's shoot for 3 or 4 CDs next year. Problem is, Craig and Sarah will have to enlist more help. Let me be the first to volunteer.

Ke akua pu

Dave
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  11:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Dave,
I spent some time with John K while on the Big Island and he said to say hello. I'm looking forward to your new post on recording. I'm in the mode to make a stab at getting some gear. I've been using a borrowed TASCAM Studio 5 to do the direct recording, but after that I'm stuck with an mp3 with all the warts. I'd like to know what my options are. I'm a Wintel platform guy and I have a high end laptop with limited chance for expansion. However, I'd entertain computer-based options for recording and editing if cost-effective (I'm always looking for another reason to upgrade my home system).
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  12:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Terry,
Thanks for passing on the message from John. He and Hope are two of my favorite people in the world. He's been extremely helpful and supportive to my Slack Key growth.

I will probably break down the recording techniques into two or three categories. Signal Path, Editing and Platform. I need a little time to put this together.

Mahalo,

Dave

Wag More. Bark Less
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  1:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

I will probably break down the recording techniques into two or three categories. Signal Path, Editing and Platform. I need a little time to put this together.
Dave,

This is great. I'm looking forward to it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  3:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
e aloha kakou,

i have about a day's worth of hawaiian music on my iPod. my attention got piqued when, after chris yeaton's "ku`u home o kahulu`u" and ray kane's "popoki slack key" a somewhat melancholy, beautiful and vaguely familar tune came up. of course, it was one of the songs from the taro patch CD ("lau puka" by dave nye). similar things have happened with other songs that have popped up on my iPod shuffle.

i'd like to approach rabb on IRH to get our songs on the "air". i've not brought it up with him, but i think that he might go for it. you can check the station out yourself at http://hotspotshawaii.com/irhpages/irhlive.html if you've not listened to this great project of aloha. i can't think of a downside - at least for those songs that people have been willing to put on soundclick - but i wanted to float the question here first.

aloha, keith

Edited by - marzullo on 09/22/2004 3:29:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  4:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

Thanks for the kind words. Lau Puka is a very special song to me. Personally I have no problem having my songs played on IRH. They are copyright protected and under my publishing company. Besides, if folks okayed Soundclick, they are in essence copyrighted due to public performance. Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  08:08:33 AM  Show Profile
Finally got a chance to listen to the CD! It actually arrived last Friday, but we’ve had a long weekend plus a mid-week holiday on this side of the world, greatly mucking up work deadlines.

Anyway, let me first add my expression of gratitude to Craig and Sarah. To quote a previous paraphrase, “Words cannot express...”

Sarah’s liner notes and backing are just beautiful—understated, tasteful and realized with an almost astonishing attention to detail (the mini-logos lining the gutter, the offset of the titling on the spines, the typeface, the layout). Clean, simple, beautiful.

Craig, what a job! To take all the straggling pieces, each accompanied with their own sad tale of woe, keep the project on course, and somehow mold it all into an intelligent, intelligible whole—you da man, no ka `oi.

Also, Raymond (RJS) deserves a word of thanks for starting it all up (and I won’t even go into my envy at the sound he coaxes from his nylon-string), as does Andy for making it all possible (you getting ready to quit your day job, or what?—that Papalina Lahilahi is smooooth, brah).

And everyone who contributed, what a treasure! It is just such a pleasure to be able to hear you all and share your mana`o. And to everyone who didn’t contribute, tanks plenty for putting up with all the static—but one last word of encouragement: you should really think about jumping in next time around (next month, or so, according to Craig), ‘cause it was really worth the embarrassment of hanging out my smelly unmentionables in public just be a part of this undertaking and to partake of its fruit.

What a group! Proud to be a part...

-dean

p.s. `Eh Jessay, whea you wen learn how fo sing la`dat. Hoo, da chicken skin.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  7:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
In response to the post regarding playing the TP CD on the air, our local staion is happy to play any and all music from new artists, and one of the volunteer djs likes hawaiian music. If it would be at all possible, a CD sent to the station would certainly get played. Now, I must tell you this is not the "hot-bed" of Hawaiian music or culture, being that we are stuch in the geographic center of Alaska, HOWEVER, the addiction for things Hawaiian around here is expemlified by the up-conming "Alaskan Luau" in two weeks, and by the everpresent song of the Christmas holiday season , the famous, timeless, powerful "Honolulu Chorus" from Handl's "Messiah". Yes, folks, interior Alaska (read, Fairbanks) heads southwest for the winter holidays and is VERY appreciative of things Hawaiian.

So, if copyright, shyness, stubbornness, or whatever else could be overcome, i could guarantee airply here in the Frozen North.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000