Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taropatch.net 2004 CD - reactions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  8:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Email me the address Karl and I'll get a copy out.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  8:35:05 PM  Show Profile
How cool is that? Thanks Karl.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  8:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Very Cool agreed.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  11:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I should point out that the CD I will send to radio stations will only contain those tracks that have been approved for SoundClick. If you have approved your track for SoundClick and do not want it potentially receiving radio airplay, please let me know via email at craigATpatchett.com and I will pull it. I will wait a week before sending out any such CDs to give you a chance to contact me. Mahalo.

Note: If the song you played is not public domain you will need to get explicit permission from the copyright holder for potential radio airplay. I will not include such songs on the radio CD without that permission.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 09/25/2004 03:30:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  01:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Wow, sorry I'm so late getting into this megathread. Thanks to Craig and Sarah...and of course Los Artistas Magnifico!

I popped in TP 2004 as I drove from southern Colorado to Sante Fe...
When you can feel da ocean in the high desert...well, who needs Carlos Castenada!

Orejas Caliente!
Gordo
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  03:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey everyone, this radio CD thing is turning into a whole new project of its own. I'm burned out and overcommitted. If someone else wants to take it on and handle finding out who wants their songs included and who has the appropriate permissions and then assembling the CD and mailing it out then go for it. I need a break.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  06:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Craig,

All you have done has really, really been way beyond the call of duty. You not only more than deserve a blow, but also sound as though you need to kick back a bit, loosen those strings, tickle 'em some and rest on your well-earned laurels.

This may also be a good message for the rest of us, as well, to back off a bit and just enjoy the CD for a spell, Hawaiian style. Is there any real pressing need to rush out and flog a such a good thing quite so aggressively?

Craig, take 5 or 10 minutes, you're much too valuable here to burn out...

-dean
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  10:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Craig and all.

I will take this one on. everyone email with your info for the Radio CD.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  11:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, Craig. Take a breather and thanks for everything. I like what BreezePlease had to say (and not because of the compliment a few posts earlier - and thank you for that!)

About the radio idea, I'm personally kind of torn on this one. I never recorded my track with that objective in mind. Despite my willingness to put it up on on soundclick, I took an evening (or two) to record a song to let you all hear me play. My focus was not on sound quality nor did I work to correct some of the mistakes. I did my best but in a very short period of time.

On the other hand, I always want to promote Hawaiian music and the opportunity to get airwave (and/or internet airwave) exposure for our project is a cool idea. Not to mention, I am very proud of what everyone here has put together.

BUT, speaking for my own track, I also wonder if my effort should be put on the radio? I mean, I want to promote Hawaiian music but my sound, production, and even performance quality could take away from that. So I'm kind of asking, am I (are we) radio ready? I don't think I am but I'm really trying to open this up to discussion. If I were running a radio show and trying to broaden the appeal of Hawaiian music, wouldn't I want to select the very best recordings available? I guess if trying to show the world about our site and slack key's talented, dedicated and loyal fanbase, playing the Taropatch.net CD makes sense. Maybe it depends on the motive? What are your thoughts out there?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  01:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Admin has a good point. While we've all been enjoying each other's input, it's not a perfect disk. It's more of a sharing of aloha between the contributors than a polished production.
But if we send it out, it will be auditioned by a programmer or DJ and maybe something will be played. Maybe not. If it's on a college/public radio station, we might get three minutes of airplay between an obscure Camper Van Beethoven bootleg and some Tibetan throat singers. It might go right into the round file, so I wouldn't be afraid about harming Hawaiian music's reputation.
But whatever anyone decides is fine with me.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  04:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
First of all, thanks everyone for your understanding and support. Secondly, my own personal feeling is that each contributor should honestly assess the following before deciding whether or not to include their track(s) on whatever is submitted to radio stations:

1. Is the performance truly worthy of radio airplay (and would someone of Hawaiian descent agree with you)?
2. Is the recording quality truly worthy of radio airplay?
3. If it's not your song, does the copyright holder want it to receive radio airplay (have you asked them specifically)?

Bear in mind that you are representing several entities here:

1. Yourself
2. Hawai`i
3. The original composer

Finally, bear in mind that, as Jesse pointed out, the sense of `ohana and sharing of aloha that went into the production of these CDs (and which makes them so special) is not always evident when you break them up into individual songs and present them completely out of context. (They work on SoundClick because they are presented together and in context.) I love every track on each CD but I don't think all would succeed by themselves on the radio. (I'd love to hear someone play the whole set with an explanation of what it represents and what went into putting it together!)

Having said all that, I think there are quite a few songs on the CDs that WOULD do well on the air, and I hope that what I've presented above would simply encourage you to be honest in your assessment of your songs before deciding whether or not to submit them to a radio CD.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  02:44:02 AM  Show Profile
I agree that the better quality cuts should be submitted...
whether the magic is in exceptional playing, production or other karma that speaks well.

Several Community radio, college, and public radio stations have open formats--and that's a RARE BLESSING in this tightly controlled media world...

But they all receive unbelievable quantities of stuff, and if the "good stuff" is hard to find, it may get missed in the quick scan of the google of material that they go through.

Radio Stations, I believe, pay the mechanicals on airplay, and the writers and publishers will appeciate any payment--even if it's not their version...

Once they've published and recorded it, isn't it then available for use by other artists as long as they pay any royalties on sales?

And isn't it the RADIO STATIONS that pay the mechanicals to writers and publishers on their use...?
Just make sure you include the writer and publisher information for each cut.

So why not submit your better cuts?

And any of us who know a dj with an appropriate market outlet (radio time-slot for Hawaiian or World Music) they should be sent a copy with a letter of introduction, and directed to some of the "Good Stuff"...

Please don't take this as "official" legal advice...
It's just based on my past experience with similar issues--and time spent with music lawyers!
$$$$incerely,
G
P.S. If you're submitting original material, you should be copyrighting and probably publishing (BMI, ASCAP, OR?)
But dat's another topic.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  11:21:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha gang,

Auntie Maria (mele.com) does a live radio gig from Kaua'i a couple of times a week. She also has a good feel for what's "appropriate" regarding Hawaiian music. If we wish to pursue this, whoever takes on this radio thing ought to run this issue by her and at least let her hear the CD.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  11:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
terry, she's already agreed to do so (via some mail i exchanged with her).

keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  1:08:01 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure if you were officially in on this radio gig.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000