Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Vote: a new section for non-Hawaiian open tunings?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  5:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Poll Question:
In response to Mike's suggestion (see below), I pose the question to the Taropatch.net community:

Should a new forum (section) be created that deals with music using open or slack tunings but for non-Hawaiian music? Please vote and/or express your opinions. Mahalo!
quote:
slackkeymike posted:
Perhaps it would be possible to add another forum topic that deals with music using open or slack tunings, just not specifically "slack key" per se? This would still be relevant, but not confused with slack key (Hawaiian).

Mike

edit: I just think that there are a lot of music genres out there (folk being a big one) that use slack type tunings, the "cross pollination" of ideas, exposure and such would be very interesting.

Please vote before viewing the results.

Results:
Yes   [19%] 6 votes
No   [81%] 26 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 32 counted  »»   Last Vote: 05/11/2007 06:29:34 AM 

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  7:21:44 PM  Show Profile
My opinions:

This forum started as purely covering slack key but evolved over time to include uke, bass, lap steel, all purely Hawaiian. I've enjoyed the purely Hawaiian focus. I'd not like to see it opened up to include other forms of music. There are plenty of other guitar forums for that, and I fear the Hawaiian flavor of this forum would eventually disappear.

Second, this site is already minutely subdivided. This bureau doesn't need any more drawers.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  8:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Right on Pauline. I want to keep the hawaiian flavor, too, and there are other places to discuss other styles of music

Edited by - RJS on 01/16/2006 11:23:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  07:20:47 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Pauline and Raymond. I like the focus on Hawaiian music. That's why I'm here and not on any number of other sites where people discuss other, or all, kinds of guitar music.

It has been very difficult in the past to find like-minded slack key players, and this is one of the rare places where you know that the people posting are interested and knowledgable regarding slack key.

People can always bring up an open-tuning topic if it is related.

ku'u wahi mana'o,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  08:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Part of the beauty of this site is presenting Hawai'ian Music and Aloha to people that don't yet appreciate it. Let's keep this venue open for making that a focus. There are many of us that would like to add our other experiences into the art form but I think it is more important for Na Kanaka to teach us their art form so we can understand and appreciate it more.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  08:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
A no vote here also. I understand and respect Mike's suggestion, but the Hawaiian aspect is what makes this place unique and keeps it civil. There are plenty of other places online that cover non-Hawaiian open tunings.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/17/2006 08:39:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  7:57:28 PM  Show Profile
Well it apears that I have one supporter, but I do respect the opinions of you all. I hate being a whooped dog...did not know this was going to be subject to a community vote (though that is a good idea). I was simply thinking of a nondenominational cross-pollination kind of thing...expose other genres that uses "slack" tunings. This does come up in here from time to time. But usually under the Hawaiian Slack forum.

I suspect that there are a number of folks in here that play with other finger style music that is not traditional Hawaiian...but still relevant, still usefull.

Peace,

Closet lover of ALL things slack,

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  8:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by slackkeymike

I hate being a whooped dog...did not know this was going to be subject to a community vote (though that is a good idea).
Sorry Mike. My intention was not to publicly throw you to the dogs. But I do like letting the 'community' decide certain things. And it seems some eloquent points and a majority decision made.

You know, I think the current "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music" used to be "General" something-a-rather which made it more welcoming for alternative/slack tuning, non-Hawaiian music discussions. I guess for now, just post in the first forum...

Thanks everyone!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  04:35:29 AM  Show Profile
Thats quite OK.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  09:29:34 AM  Show Profile
We don't limit the discussion topics. We've certainly heard a lot about bluegrass, celtic etc here. The Christmas songs don't have a separate section, but are an intimate part of most Hawai'ian families' celebration of Christmas. I believe we established a year or so ago that absolutely anything goes under "talk story". So Mike, go for it, with or without a separate section. Most threads die a quiet death, or Andy kills them when they aren't nice.
With aloha -
n
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  2:02:30 PM  Show Profile
I vote no, also, although I haven't found too many sites this open & friendly for other styles. Any suggestions?

My practice sessions start with some Chet Atkins or delta blues, then I tune down both E's for some Stephen Stills, then to taropatch. I had three guitars at one time, but I lent them out.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  3:44:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jwn

So? Throw out all those Xmas songs in the slack key style... they're not Hawaiian.

This is like that Open G vs. the world argument.

What harm would there be in having a section set aside for those who might like to talk about other songs? If you don't want to visit a section on the Taropatch site, or you feel talking about non-Hawaiian tunes in a slack-key-style is sacrilegious, then don't go there. Stay away. Simple.

But telling people to go to "other places" to discuss (what they, the nay-sayers, see as) non-Hawaiian ideas is... well, there's not much aloha in that.

You and I are on the same page. I would rather people stay here and discuss these issues rather than going elsewhere and losing that connection. People discuss Chet atkins and Leo Kottke et al in several places (drawers in the ...what was that? dresser?)

We all would like to see slack key grow. It does so through exposure. Searching for Leo Kottke, for example might "accidentally" bring someone here...and who knows where that could lead. Being worried about change, or uncaring people is not a good reason to reject the idea. for the longest time I believed slack tunnings were Hawaiian only (yes, I was, and am still ignorant, but I am learning). It was quite an eye opener for me to learn that slack-like tunings were quite pervasive. People find this site because they have heard about slack key...thats how I found it. But my interest in other styles could have brought me here sooner (i wish it had).

Currently, I have no interest in steel guitar, but it does not bother me that there is a "drawer" for it. Seems to me a little experiment might be in order to see if there is a demand for it...other than this discussion. If it fails, it fails...no harm.

Sorry I seem to have touched on a nerve here...I did not mean to.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  7:06:20 PM  Show Profile
Mike,
Touched a nerve? Not one of mine; my feelings on the issue are not strong. If I touched one of yours, I apologize.
Pauline

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  03:07:07 AM  Show Profile
No Pauline, nobody has touched my nerve!

That was a general statment meaning something much less than I intended.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  08:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by jwn

What harm would there be in having a section set aside for those who might like to talk about other songs? If you don't want to visit a section on the Taropatch site, or you feel talking about non-Hawaiian tunes in a slack-key-style is sacrilegious, then don't go there. Stay away. Simple.

That's not what was originally proposed (at least not the way I read it). What was proposed was a general section for any music in open tunings, not a section for non-Hawaiian tunes in a slack-key style. I, for one, think the latter definitely has a place here since slack key has a history of adapting non-Hawaiian tunes to the style.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/19/2006 08:08:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  1:45:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cpatchWhat was proposed was a general section for any music in open tunings, not a section for non-Hawaiian tunes in a slack-key style.

Craig,

Could you please provide an example...I am not sure I follow that...

For example, I think one song that you would not include (based on your definition) would be Crow River Waltz because it is not slack key style, but it is open tuning. I guess some of the Christmas songs qualify as non-Hawaiian, but slack key style?

Thanks,

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000