Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ozzie Kotani no longer accepting tab requests
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  02:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
FYI, Ozzie emailed me recently about the issue of tablature requests.
quote:
Ozzie wrote:
I've been doing it for years now and need to stop because I can't keep up. Could you possibly post a message that I am no longer sending tabs - even with SASEs - with apologies but I've really made a decision to end it. I appreciate all the interest and hope another source surfaces (there's got to be someone else tabbing!) soon.

I'm sorry that Taropatch.net was probably a factor in this decision by referring people to Ozzie's email. As our community has grown, it's understandable that the number of tab requests can become overwhelming so I hope we can all respect Ozzie's decision. The good news is that he is well and continues to actively teach and perform.

Andy

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  03:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh man...talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Poor Ozzie - overwhelmed by his own aloha. Even this last note of his is sweet. Well, Keola told him he was too open back in 2001.

Ozzie deserves a loud Mahalo Nui Loa!

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  04:44:27 AM  Show Profile
I second Reid's "mahalo nui loa" to Ozzie for all he has so graciously shared with many of us. Thanks, again, Ozzie, and come visit the Midwest soon!
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  04:53:40 AM  Show Profile
me too Mahalo Nui Loa to Ozzie. If it was not for his graciosly sharing I would not be were I am today

Steve
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  10:55:27 AM  Show Profile
Ditto...Mahalo Ozzie, it was his book that really help reinforce my love for slack key, and improve on my play. At least he's still teaching and we can all benefit from that. There's a large body of Ozzie's tableture out there to keep many new beginners to slack key, started on the right foot for years to come. How many of us have recommended or "taught" other's the Ozzie way?
Mahalo plenny Oz,
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  11:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Ozzie -
How about publishing a book with your original tab that you wouldn't mind sharing? Maybe once it's out there, we'd be able to enjoy it, and you wouldn't be bothered by us quite so much... to many folks love you, brah -
auntie nancy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  5:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Nancy has made a good point, and I don't quite know what the cause of the present situation is. Ozzie was supposed to have published another book of tabs. He and I talked about it a few years ago and it was in the works. As I recall, it was not going to be a graded instructional set, as his current (and first and only) book is, but rather a collection of his choices. He said, and I think many of you know, that he has choke loose leaf binders filled with his tabs - his arrangements and compositions. I am guessing, but it may have to do with Ozzie's continuing statements that slack key is a hobby with him, and his day job(s) and personal interests take up all his time. (Of course finances are always an issue - if Ozzie got a MacArthur Genius Grant, which he arguably deserves, maybe he could do everything us greedy slackers want). I remember that he told Sarah and Andy and me (on Maui) that he was really interested in "giving back" slack key to kids in his community that didn't have any exposure to slack key or mentors. I know he is working on this.

So, if there is anybody on O`ahu who is willing and *able* to help Ozzie out with editing and production and subsidize a printing, maybe we could all get a peek at his treasures. Putting a book together is a major effort, as Mark, for one, can tell you all about. I realize that this is a vain hope.

I am not sad for us about this, I am sad for the cultural patrimony that might be lost. I would be truly happy if Oz gave copies (another cost and effort) to something like the Bishop Museum.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 10/22/2006 5:12:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  04:08:46 AM  Show Profile
I too recently requested tabs from Ozzie without reply. I understand his situation but wouldn't it be great if he published his songs in several collections!
In my request I suggested that he publish a book with arrangements from "To Honor a Queen". Can you imagine how popular that would be!

Ozzie...publish anything for intermediate/advanced players and it will sell out.

Aloha
Bob

Bob
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  05:02:33 AM  Show Profile
At Keola Beamer's first Aloha Music Camp in 2000, Ozzie was my first Slack Key Kumu. He set the foundation for all my playing. There are a lot of great teachers out there, but he is Da Bes. Through the past few years, I have taken every workshop that he has offered in the Bay Area and as such, have acquired a significant amount of TAB. By his permission, I have also gotten a few from other Taropatchers and given some to others.

Most of the responses here are "What more can you do for me, Ozzie?", rather than honoring his decision, which I can totally understand. If it's in his heart to take all the hard work he has put into his TAB and teaching and give it away, then as Reid suggested, a common repository like the Bishop Museum would be a nice choice.

Most of what is being asked for here is a monumental task. Ozzie's TABs are not like his book. They are teaching outlines that offer the essence of what is being played. Unlike learning from his book, I would challenge any one of us to take his "Paka Au" or "Aloha Oe" TAB (both in taropatch) and without hearing him play, learn the song. He has hundreds of such material that would take many hundreds of hours to put in correct form.

Maybe he's working on something like that or maybe not. Either way, thank you Ozzie for what you have given us. I'm sure you have some more great gifts in store for us. I am eternally grateful.

Ke akua pu,

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 10/23/2006 05:08:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  09:18:25 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Dave on all points.

Years ago, Ozzie told me he disn't want to make the TABS available without his playing because of 2 things. 1) He doesn't use regular meter and he felt he would have to redo it all, which he doesn't want to do. and 2) As Dave said, a lot of his stuff is difficult to figure out if you haven't heard it before.

I think sometimes we think that a guy like Ozzie should be entirely fanatically devoted to slack key. (Having gone through that myself, I don't think it is healthy for anyone to be like that.) Anyway... Ozzie has others aspects of his life and he values them. All my best to him. And, hopefully, it will make us savor the moments with Ozzie even more.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  7:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Mahalo, Ozzie for all that you've generously given and have graciously shared with all of us. I feel so fortunate to have been part of your haumana and have learned so much through your instruction. You are a true steward of the perpetuation of slack key, which I am truly grateful. All the best to you with all your future endeavors, whatever they may be! - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  8:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui loa to Oz not only for his tab but all the gentle yet gently demanding teaching he has shared. I don't know how he kept up with the flow for so long....think of the number of requests coming in all the time. And in my case, at least, he would match the tabs sent with what he knew about my level of playing. We'll just have to wait for any local classes, and be sooo grateful. As we are.......

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  10:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
I am fortunate to be one of Ozzie's students.

He is one of the most kind and wonderful people I have ever met.

He tells me that he is close to publishing another book, however, as mentioned above, it will not be an instructional book but rather a book of various tabs. He has TONS of tabs.

I was at his house a few weeks ago and the sheer number of messages on his answering machine was astounding. He is very, very busy and despite that has given more to us as guitarists than most.

I am truly grateful to him for his help and support, which started long before I ever became one of his lucky students.

Mahalo nui loa Ozzie!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

vpsimons
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  9:01:11 PM  Show Profile
RE: Ozzie Kotani no longer accepting tab requests -- Would Ozzie consider publishing some of his more common songs and those that he receives the most requests for? I would hate to lose the wisdom and ability of this master of slack key and the ability to learn how he does what he does. Please check it out and respond.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  02:56:40 AM  Show Profile
"Would Ozzie consider publishing some of his more common songs and those that he receives the most requests for?"

What do you mean? You want Oz to tabulate which are his most common requests, find them in his notebooks, prepare them properly for publication, find and convince a publisher to print and distribute thym, proofread them, etc."? Or, are you going to do this for him?

The book that Lance mentioned Ozzie *is* preparing is not good enough for you?

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 10/31/2006 02:57:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  03:57:57 AM  Show Profile
...interesting response to an obvious question.
I myself, have started learning one of Ozzies' arrangement by ear. This way takes a little more determination, but then, not everyone will be playing the song either.
Give it a try.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000