Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ozzie Kotani no longer accepting tab requests
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  08:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by vpsimons

RE: Ozzie Kotani no longer accepting tab requests -- Would Ozzie consider publishing some of his more common songs and those that he receives the most requests for? I would hate to lose the wisdom and ability of this master of slack key and the ability to learn how he does what he does. Please check it out and respond.

I think a book of tabs is in the works, but I do not have the details. Of course, as soon as I get official word - I'll post here.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  6:57:45 PM  Show Profile
In the past, Ozzie would ok for us to exchange his existing tabs that are out and about.
While I have gathered a nice colletion, I am always wanting occassional others that pop up on the radar.
The songs on his cd "Ki Ho Alu" and other gems like "Londonderry Aire" , Moana Chimes as Sonny woulda done it, etc...

I for one would be willing to pay an artist fee for exchange of some of these gems.

Some of the tunes have been offered at Ozzie's workshops...
This is too rich a legacy to let die...
What if we paid Ozzie for the exchanges of his tabs?
When I was at George's workshops, the tabs from the "blue" album felt like gold...
It was worth the cost of the trip and workshop right there!

Yes, eventually the tabs will be published if God is listening...but in the meantime...

perhaps this only appies to direct requests to Ozzie, but does it also apply to tab exchange that in the past he condoned?

What would be a fair price for Ozzie tab exchanges? Paid to OZ....?
For the greater good.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/17/2006 11:06:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  3:00:35 PM  Show Profile
You could ask Mark how he is doing with the tabs he has for sale online. I think they are about $8 a pop - 'cept for really long and complex tabs.

keola charges more on his web site for individual song tabs.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  11:47:44 PM  Show Profile
I've visited Mark's new option...
hope he does some more slack-key...maybe an Oz?
Anyway, I'm not holding my breath, but I'd love to see some selections from the blue cd...
For the Oz stuff, I'd probably pay that and more...
but then we get back into that old stuff about legal rights..
I don't even want to hear it...it's like groundhog's day territory.

The existing Oz tabs tend to have things that need to be rhythmically cleaned up...
like the anticipations and pick up notes in Ozzie's tabs tend to be grouped in the next measure...but we don't mind since the recordings or live workshop tapes show the way. But for any formal publication, it does have to be more concise, and also having musical notation is preferable for wider markets and a useful path to interpretation. I find musical notation helps me memorize and see musical connections and see structural facets of the "sounds".

As to working some things out "sans script", I wanna try "Kani Kipaipai"
as soon as my December concerts are done.
One nice thing about the Dancing Cat cd's is how they usually list tunings...which, while they are sometimes obvious, it can really help to be on the right track when we decipher an arrangement.

Meanwhile, my kids are having some trouble with rhythms and keeping the band arrangements from "train wrecks" ...DOES ANYBODY KNOW Count Count's e-mail?
Or maybe we can find a Symphonic Arrangement of "Supercalifragilisticexpealadocious" IN TAB! Oh wait, it's the rhythms! Still, everybody usually walks away. ( I shoulda stuck to rocket surgery.-- It's easier). But this is not too bad--just do the Mary Lou and SMILE. Looking forward to holiday breaks--Then I can return to being Tab Hunter er/Gather er/Write er.
Er No.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/17/2006 11:52:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  1:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

1. Do you think if we poured in requests to Mel Bay Publications, Inc., #4 Industrial Drive, Pacific, MO, 63069 (http://www.melbay.com/) that they might offer Ozzie a better deal to create new books? what about if we tried to get another music book publisher to work on his second book for him, such as Mark Hansens "accent on Music PMB #252, 19363 Willamette Dr. West Linn, OR, 97068 (info @ accentonmusic.com, www.accentonmusic.com)

2. I would like to see his progressive instructional book II, i know its very difficult and time consuming to create compositions which effectively and systematically improve upon the students abilities and bridge the gap from what he has already learned and where he needs to be. and when I think about the task its really no wonder there isnt a book 2, book 2 would take twice as long to think through and compose as book 1 did. But whatever his day Job is, surely he could benefit from his efforts, and he should be well paid for his work, even if it be a labour of love.

3. I believe he could publish an entirely new book without lifting a finger if he'd just hand over a group of songs or recordings of songs to Dennis Ladd for composition. Dennis Ladd is a great contributor to Slack Key, and I feel without his efforst Slack kKey may have never been published on paper. And he is most often under-valued and under appreciated in my book. And I think He should create his own instructional book sets, even "with" Ozzie Kotani printed in smaller words under his name.

4. Maybe there could be another website created by the creator of this website just for Ozzie, and a place for donations to Ozzie available there.

5. Can anyone send me Ozzies Kotani's Email? I would like to help him out financially somewhat perhaps by publishing the book for him in China, and possible Hong Kong and even Macau, and translating the book into Chinese (for free). I have played what I know of Slack key around China a little bit and every music shop I go into there seems to be a guy that has mastered everystyle of guitar playing so much so that its boring him to death, because its not really in line with the kind of music hinese people generally like, wich is generally more relaxing and good for the mind. and so it seems slack key maybe just what they need or are looking for. I have introduced several of the tunings to the guys a the shops and their eyes really light up...and they even have trued to make their own compositions from the tunings without ever having heard a Hawaiian slack key song... and everytime I play my 5 Ozzie Kotani Songs for them, even they are masters in flamenco and blues and jazz and other guitar styles, they really kind of seem to look as if they have been wasting time learning the rubbish styles of guitar and would much rather play beautiful and relaxing slack key for their friends and family.. and especially for the girls.. kk...

so anyway, if anyone culd help to email me Ozzies email to my address at Aloha.com @ gmail.com, or here in the forum (but i suppose to many posts of his email would worsen the problem)

I hope to help Ozzie publish hs books to a broader audience, and help him bring Slack Key to the world (or at least the half of it living in China) ... to those who would love and appreciate its beauty and enchanting nature rather than gauk at its simplicity as so many westerners do.

I really think I could generate alot of interest. and promotiing the style I had hoped to get a Hawaiian master here to China, but first there should be some instructional books in Chinese, and a guy to go around and get everyone familiar with it. these guys are so good with guitar, they will probably master the whole book in a few days.. but there are alot of people in China who want to learn guitar, and also who dont really like western guitar, but prefer the simplicity and romantic and beautiful nature of Chinese instruments.

But Chinese instruments are very big and heavy and awkward, and Slack key I feel is the perfect thing for them.

so anyway, im not going to boter Ozzie about tabs stuffs, just to help him out in the publication and wide-spreadedness of his teaching, and for the perpetuation of the art.

thanks

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  2:00:51 PM  Show Profile
Further Troll Alert
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  2:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Further Troll Alert

that post wasnt a troll... did you read it? do you have any ideas or suggestions? or do you feel the need to post irrelevant rubbish at the expense of other people all the time.. you just help but click the "reply" button when in fact in you have nothing to reply ???

anyway.. once again let me state.. please do not reply to this if you have nothing useful to add.. and by useful I refer to the topic at hand, and the question I posted...

im not here to argue or fight with you. nor do I wish to have unhapiness or make myself unhappy by being drawn into your *OBVIOUS* troll

thanks

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  05:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Tetapu

quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Further Troll Alert

that post wasnt a troll... did you read it?

I have to agree with tetapu here...regardless of what anyone may have thought of his original thread there is no reason to respond rudely to other, constructive posts such as this one.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  4:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

[quote][i]Originally

I have to agree with tetapu here...regardless of what anyone may have thought of his original thread there is no reason to respond rudely to other, constructive posts such as this one.

thanks

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  4:27:51 PM  Show Profile
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5258
This link is to a review of Ozzie's DVD. It takes some of the songs in the book and shows you how to dress them up a bit. This is kinda like the next level from the book. It might be something to try while waiting for his next book.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5258

eh, mahalo..

i went to www.slack-key.net but i didnt see the website.. maybe the site has problems? i didnt find the dvd on amazon.. any other idea about where I can buy it?

thanks again

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  06:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Auntie Maria at www.mele.com lists the DVD but shows it temporarily out of stock:

http://www.mele.com/video/artist/ozzie+kotani/ozzie+kotani:+ki+ho%60alu+vol.+1+-+dvd/

Here's the "how to order" page on slack-key.net:

http://www.slack-key.net/how2order.html

perhaps the site was down temporarily??

It's also available through CD Baby:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/ozziekotani

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  06:21:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Fran. I took one short class from Braddah Kotani. Plenty, plenty Aloha. I goin check out those sites. BTW, Oz is sort of busy these days. Aloha
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  5:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tetapu

i went to www.slack-key.net but i didnt see the website.. maybe the site has problems?
Can you try again? It worked for me. Are certain sites blocked from China? If you cannot get on, I can try to get an email contact for you.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  11:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

[quote]Originally posted by Tetapu

thanks Fran and Andy for the website link, it works now.. plenty sites are banned from China, but i dont think any Hawaiian sites will ever be banned.. but it is Japanese.. so thats reasonable thinking, they dont like the Japanese at all.. but its ok now.. but I still cant read it.. kk

mahalos guys

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000