Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ozzie Kotani no longer accepting tab requests
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Lanakala
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  07:42:52 AM  Show Profile
Tabs blow. As long as you know the tuning, strive to figure it out yourself. The keys to unlocking the tuning are found this way AND your playing ability and developement will be much quicker and YOUR OWN destinctive sound will emerge. Stay thirsty my friends...
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  08:13:05 AM  Show Profile
Not everyone can learn by ear and most teachers hand out tabs.
However, it would be fun to see the reaction on a students face who is handed an mp3 player and headphones then told by a teacher "hey, we'll see ya next week then!".
I understand the your point though. It's just the funny scenario that made me respond.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 04/25/2008 08:48:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  10:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Randall,
Sounds as if you are well on the path of slack key. Reading music, including TABS, is a skill in itself. It can also be a very valuable way of passing down music. In addition, learning the guitar, much less an particular style, can be a difficult thing, especially if you're not a kid learning 2 - 3 chords at a time. The notation can unlock the mysteries of both the finger patterns and the chords/harmonies. This can actually make it easier for someone to develop the skills needed to figure out songs on their own much faster. Having a "data base" to fall back upon can definitely shorten the learning curve.
In sum, good you don;t need TAB/notation, but don't throw out a tool that can be very useful to others.
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  03:04:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:

heh.. i stretch my mp3 out in about 3 phases, first REALLY slow like one note a second..

the next version is a little faster, and a little faster, then the real version...

sometimes if im working on part by part i divide the song into sections..

i do this alot for the craterboys...

i also put the tabs into my PDA ... and just take it all on the go all the time

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou

Edited by - Tetapu on 04/28/2008 03:05:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  3:49:53 PM  Show Profile
Howzit Braddah Duke,

You got me really curious with this "slurring" technique. Can you describe it in some detail or point to a recording where it can be heard in use?

Mahalo,
John
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  05:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the quick explanation, Bruddah Duke. I think I understand what you're saying and it sounds like it would take some practice to get it right. I don't have any of Ozzie's DVD's but I'll go and listen to your two tunes on YouTube to see what it sounds like.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  12:55:34 PM  Show Profile
What Ozzie teaches as "slurs" definitely give songs a much smoother sound. It is a key element in how our heroes get that nahenahe phrasing.

Most people with classical/jazz/"formal" guitar training would associate slurs as simply hammer-ons and pull-offs, but as Duke said, Ozzie teaches them they as "slurs" that also coincide with bass notes.

BTW, I have to give props to Ozzie. He is an awesome, awesome teacher in his ability to break things down to the smallest details that separate merely playing a song well and playing a song with that authentic touch that the greats have/had.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  10:31:19 AM  Show Profile
I also have had a few lessons with Ozzie. One of the things that Ozzie also discusses is the use of the thumbnail or the flesh of the thumb when executing the "second-half" of the slur. On the slur you use the flesh for a softer note. It is not the thumb as stand alone (while using the nail or a finger pick) but the thumb as "support" for the hammer-on, pull-off, or slide. It is what adds the necessary low frequency "overtones" to the melody line in the song.

Is it critical to the melody line executed with the fingers as a HO/PO/SL? No. Does it make a difference? Yes.

When you listen carefully, it is really what gives that distincive ki ho'alu sound.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Joel
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  09:45:23 AM  Show Profile
I didn't know he even did that.
He is one of my favorites and I have been tabbing some of his songs like Penei No and My Old Guitar.
Very difficult because his music is so intricate and he does so many variations within a song. I never make it past the first 20% because it is so time and brain consuming. If I ever get one done I will post it.
I saw him play recently for the first time at the Socal slack key festival and frankly I was disappointed at his song choices, it didn't even sound like the same person on the CDs.

Joel
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:51:26 AM  Show Profile
Joel
I think posting slack tabs without the artists consent would not be the right thing to do--especially if you admire the artist. Slack Key artist are generally not wealthy and many have regular jobs. If you learn Penei No the hard way you will be one of ony a few know it.
What could be beter than that?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:58:54 AM  Show Profile
Joel,
I don't know what Ozzie played, but I've seen him live many times (and studied with him) and what you describe is suprising to me.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  1:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Joel

He is one of my favorites and I have been tabbing some of his songs like Penei No and My Old Guitar...If I ever get one done I will post it.

While we all appreciate the intent Joel, posting tabs without the artist's consent is against forum policies (and sometimes even with their consent if it's not an original composition).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/06/2008 12:34:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  07:07:34 AM  Show Profile
Joel,
You should have attended one of the slack key workshops that Ozzie conducted around SoCal in conjunction with the SoCal Slack Key Festival -- Mitch advertised them pretty well (as well as some of our own taropatchers). He handed out some of his tab to the workshop students and explained his choices for his play list at the festival.
Ozzie plays Ku'u Kika Kahiko in C6 MaunaLoa Tuning. Not too hard once you see the section patterns and melody. Once you see the melody you are free to improvise and create variations to increase interest. Artists, when they record and when they perform, try to create interest in the song and make the experience enjoyable for the listener. When a song is predictable due to repetition, the listener loses interest. When the listener is surprised by hearing something unexpected (a variation or improvisation) we perk up and listen.

When you try to tab out a song verbatim from a recording, listen for the similarities and repetitions to understand the song structure. Then note the variations within that structure. When learning you can play the straight melody -- no variations. Later, add in your own and the composer's variations.

Go to Top of Page

Joel
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  09:51:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey all,

Didn't mean to say Ozzie's performance was bad. It just did not seem to have the impact that I am used to when I listen to his recordings for some reason. Being the very first time I saw him in person I was expecting more. Maybe he selected the songs based on the workshops. If I knew, I definitely would have gone to his workshop being he is probably my favorite slack key artist. I can also say Makana was also somewhat disappointing for me because he has played the same two songs everytime and I have seen him three times. Yes, those are his most impressive songs and this last time he played them differently and perhaps better, but he seems to be stuck. I do have a bad habit of trying to figure out a song to the greatest detail exactly how it was played. I'll bet Ozzie doesn't even remember exactly what he played right afterwards. I need to learn to add my own touches but that is a talent I lack and need to explore. I have been listening to new genre of music by Antoine Dufour. Its definitely not slack key but uses alternate tunings and is a real and different challenge to play. You can hear him on Youtube, I like his tune Ashes in the sea. They also sell his tabs on www.candyrat.com
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  12:32:46 PM  Show Profile
Joel,
You would like Chris Yeaton. Check out the vidoes -- duet of Opihi Moemoe and his "Cape Arago".

http://www.woodsongacoustics.com/music/yeaton.php

Come by Kaisen's tonight and meet the SoCal Slack Key Society fellers. bring yer "kika" if you feel like playing.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000