Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 inspiration -- * September giveaway *
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  05:45:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Guava Sunrise

I play an 8-string Lanikai laminated koa ukulele just to keep myself out of trouble

Ho, sad dat nevah work, brah!

Or, as my old boss would say, "Assumes facts not in evidence, counsel."

quote:
Originally quoted by Wanda

I thought only the boys resorted to puns.

Oh, I love to listen to Neeej and Retro pun bantering. When I first met her in 3D, I knew I was going to like her when she proclaimed, after wrestling with her guitar, "Inanimate objects . . . aren't."

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  07:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Jean, Jean, Jean....I thought only the boys resorted to puns.
Good thing she came out of her shell, yeah? No clamming up now!

(Someone is going to look at this thread and proclaim: "A-balone.")
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  07:55:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

Yunz must be saying this kind of stuff because earlier in the week we were talking about the guy going to Kaleponi and bringing home presents and one of the presents she wanted was a petticoat with half scallops I hope he wasn't goiing to buy it at a prawn shop.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  08:12:07 AM  Show Profile
I like the music because it takes me to a better place (no matter where I am).

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 09/07/2007 08:13:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  09:08:52 AM  Show Profile
I've always liked trad music. My Dad was a kordeen player, Scandihoovian stuff, my Mom's folks played the box and guitar. I started playing Bluegrass mandolin in high school. After I left home, I met a guy from Kaua'i who showed me slack key and gave me da t'ree lessons back in 1974. I heard Sunday Manoa, Hui Ohana, etc. I had Ray Kane's "black album" and Leonard Kwan"s "red album" and fooled around for years until I latched onto the local Hawaiian community and found others similarly stricken. Slipry1 says we don't have a choice, we just gotta do it. Slack key foa da blood preshah.
Mahalo, Andy foa dis t'read.
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  09:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Great thread. And free CD's, to boot. Joy!

I started playing guitar at the age of 18. I'm 44 now. I became a decent lead guitar player but always seemed to gravitate towards acoustic fingerstyle. However, there always seemed to be something missing.

I moved to Hawaii 6 years ago, a life-changing event in many, many ways I will bore you with some other time. Suffice it to say that when I first heard Kihoalu, I was mesmerized, thinking to myself "gosh those guys play great." When I found out that it was only ONE guy playing I knew I had to learn this style.

Unfortunately, about the same time I discovered slack key I was sent to the desert for 8 months by the U.S. Army. I ordered Led's video while I was there but simply could not grasp it, it was too advanced for me at the time. As luck would have it, just one week after returning to Hawaii, Ray Kane was giving a workshop at the Outrigger in Honolulu, just before the slack key festival. My very understanding wife allowed me to go to both, the first weekend I was home after being away for nearly a year. What a woman.

Anyway, I met Fran Guidry and Doug Fitch at that workshop. I was totally impressed with Ray Kane, but it was Doug and Fran who kind of temporarily adopted me and showed me the very basics of the style.

Fran showed me Ozzies book and I was off and running. I joined a rock band not long after, and also launched into Kihoalu full tilt. I contacted Ozzie and asked for lessons, but he had no space for me at that time. Then, one night just before my rock band was to go on stage, I got a call from Ozzie on my cell. He had an opening. That was over a year ago now, and Ozzie is an awesome teacher of course but what I really didnt expect was that we would develop a friendship as well.

I have been blessed by people like Fran Guidry who took a little time to show me a few things, by Doug Fitch who jams with me even though I cant hold a candle to him and lets me play at gigs sometimes with him, and most especially by Ozzie whose patience and kindness is off the charts. What a great adventure so far, and I'm really just getting started! A huge MAHALO to all of you for embracing me in this community, for my teachers, and for those of you who took the time to read this reply.

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  10:00:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I've always liked trad music. My Dad was a kordeen player, Scandihoovian stuff, my Mom's folks played the box and guitar. I started playing Bluegrass mandolin in high school. After I left home, I met a guy from Kaua'i who showed me slack key and gave me da t'ree lessons back in 1974. I heard Sunday Manoa, Hui Ohana, etc. I had Ray Kane's "black album" and Leonard Kwan"s "red album" and fooled around for years until I latched onto the local Hawaiian community and found others similarly stricken. Slipry1 says we don't have a choice, we just gotta do it. Slack key foa da blood preshah.
Mahalo, Andy foa dis t'read.

I can't remember not wanting to play music. The desire was there from the beginning of my memories. I love just about every genre of music except for the "commercial" stuff, which is not art but a major marketing ploy. My motto is "There are only two kinds of music - good and bad, and I play them both!" When people say to me that they wish they could play music, I tell them not to worry and enjoy what they like to listen to. If they REALLY wanted to play music, they'd do it.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  1:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

If they REALLY wanted to play music, they'd do it.

YES! And at any age, too.

After a life of working alongside musicians, as a producer, engineer, manager, booker, promoter, publicist, etc. - I finally started really learning to PLAY music in my mid-40s. Guess I wasn't really ready until then. As Momi put it to me a few times, when I'd talk about what I really wanted to do or be - "so who's stopping you ... besides yourself?"
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  2:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Hearing Keola for the first time floored me. Ozzie gave me a nearly full afternoon "first lesson" in one of those funky room at Harry's - my introduction to the guitar and slack key. A year of weekly (almost) sessions with George Kahumoku, jr., and some "finishing school" with Steve Sano.

As to current influences, well there's a core that doesn't seem to change over time, and another group that changes.
The core is Keola, Ozzie, Sonny Chillingsworth, Steve Sano.
The changing component -- the current group that I listen to the most is:
George Helm, Kauhaunau Lake, Makaha Sons, Ernie Cruz (the lead guitar parts on the 3 early Amy H. Gilliom disks, and some dennis Kamakahi.

A couple of other guitarists, however, also have a big infliuence on me, though I can't say it's actually helped my playing as much as given me an unattainable ideal to shoot for:
- Julian Bream - phrasing, timimng and passion
- David Russell - most incredible tone and color
- Lately I'm very much enjoying Angel Romero - a very elegant touch.
- and I love the Latin arrangements of Laurindo Almeida.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  2:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Of course, now I'm playinf mostly lullabies.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  3:51:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Of course, now I'm playinf mostly lullabies.

Raymond, hopefully Kevin doesn't need as much soothing as this one.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 09/07/2007 4:07:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  5:04:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

I oyster report youse guys for dat!

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  5:56:13 PM  Show Profile
Thank God, Kevin is a pretty happy, easy going kid. Now that he's teething fierce he just likes to be held and either sung to or listen to soft music. Only really bad crying is a night, and some Baby Tylenol seems to really help.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  7:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Thank God, Kevin is a pretty happy, easy going kid. Now that he's teething fierce he just likes to be held and either sung to or listen to soft music. Only really bad crying is a night, and some Baby Tylenol seems to really help.

I find good single malt is better. Oh, you mean for Kevin. Probably so, although I do take 81 gm aspirin, the geezers aid for heart problems, whenever I get up in the morning.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh... free CDs... count me in... Of course I've told the story before so I'll embelish and tell it again.
We didn't have a TV when I was little, but we listened to records (those breakable disks that rotated at 78 RPM). In that collection: Bill Akamuhou - The Hula Oni Oni E, Little Brown Gal; Dan Kalauawa Stewart - Little Brown Gal, Fair Hawaii; Royal Hawaiian Serenaders - U Lili E, Blue Lei; Alfred Apaka - Na Molokama, To You Sweetheart Aloha; John K. Almeida (Chuck Ka`imikaua's uncle with whom he lived both during WWII and while he was in high school) - Hukilau, Pohai Kealoha. At this time, our parks dept had both hula lessons and ukulele lessons for keiki so of course I was enrolled and still have a picture of me in a grass skirt. We learned the California standards of Little Brown Gal and Hukilau. Later, with the 33 1/3s, we listened to Bing's Blue Hawaii. Of course along the way we got a huge 10" screen TV (huge box, that is), and I was enamored with Harry Owens Hawaiian show. In 1950 we bought our first car after the war and my dad took me along and let me pick out the color for which my mother never forgave him. I picked out Hawaiian Bronze - doesn't that sound lovely? It was an ugly brown car.
High school and college were folk music years with lessons from Bess Hawes and hanging out at McCabe's (wow, you should see it now!!).
Then I met and married a Maui boy... and here my love of Hawaiian music hit with force again. One night at a family gathering in Lanai City a 1/2 dozen guys and my "cousin" Dolores Fabrao (who played and sang here and in Las Vegas in the '50s before moving home to raise family) and I stayed out very late by the 1/2 50gal oil drum barbecue now with dying embers and they played what I termed Hawaiian folk songs. They talked about how good it was to sing and play the old time songs. And that's when I decided to learn some day... wish I'd started then instead of waiting another 30 some years. It might have been a mite easier. So the next records I got were: The Sunday Manoa (Peter Moon and the Cazimeros) - Cracked Seed; Don Ho - Greatest Hits (of course); Melveen (Leed) - I Love You Hawaii, The Hawaiian Country Girl; Ohta-San (Herb's Dad) - Instrumental Hawaiian Favorites, Hawaii's Greatest Hits. And then along came DVDs - - and The Bros Cazimero, compilations including Ray Kane, Sonny Chillingworth etc, Then Keola Beamer and Iz...
At this point, still no idea about slack key, open tunings etc. Too busy working, raising a kid, diving.... then..... wanted to learn old songs.... friend said, "Oh, you must mean slack key!" I did?? Now I don't really think I did. But she gave me Keola's book with DVD - that was a real set-back.... Wow! That was hard!!!!! But I looked at his website and he had a Camp listed!! So I signed up, and Mark sent me here, and I found SCSKS, and they introduced me to Ozzie.... so I'm still a beginner, but I figure I have 35 or 40 years still to learn. Slack Key is the most beautiful music in the world. And it's enhanced by gentle well-played ukulele and bass.
So this is the journey of a distinctly left-brained, non-musical person's venture into slack key. It's been further enhanced along the way by the folks of SCSKS, Uncle Chuck, George, Keoki, Bob, Ozzie, Cyril, John, Kevin, Patrick, Dennis,and all the 'ohana of encouragement which includes my friends in the neighborhood, my family if they don't have to listen, everyone who comes to Bob's, those who helped me at AMC, who've loved me at George's workshops on Maui, those to the north who've taken me in (Canada, Washington, NoCal), and everyone who's trekked to Manhattan Beach for kanikapilas. Mahalo nui loa to each and every one of you.
auntie nancy

Edited by - Pua Kai on 09/10/2007 04:26:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000