Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 inspiration -- * September giveaway *
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  09:16:03 AM  Show Profile
A-balone.

There. Someone had to say it . . . thanks for the set-up Gregg!
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  09:18:23 AM  Show Profile
I've been around music all my life, including playing piano, organ, tuba & guitar and singing in choirs. By the late 1960's and early 1970's I was simultaneously playing in successful rock band, playing classical music on big pipe organs, plus singing in a Peter, Paul & Mary-type trio as well as in a very serious college acapella choir.
My introduction to Hawaiian music came during ten years of graduate school in Hawai`i. I became a big fan of the local music scene on Oahu . . . but for some unknown reason, it never entered my mind to try/start playing this music. After marrying Joy (my "Palolo Valley Girl") and moving to the mainland, we made a few subsequent return trips to visit her family . . . and it was on one of those trips, just a few years ago (=/- 2003), that I suddenly just HAD to buy my first `ukulele. I spent the first year dabbling with old standards like "Slow Boat to China," before stumbling upon Joy's stash of Hawaiian cassettes and CD's . . . and suddenly I was hooked.
By the time I acquired a half-dozen ukes, I realized it wasn't `ukulele that I was really drawn to---it was Hawaiian music. I quickly became obsessed with trying to understand the poetry behind the beautiful music of Lili`uokalani (initially via Dennis Kamakahi & Maunalua). From that moment on I was like a kid in a candy store "discovering" new songs . . . exploring the music, the poetry and learning to play them.
I guess I'm still in the kid-in-the-candy-store stage . . . and thanks to the notorious "kankikapilers" in the "Seattle experiment" thread, I now derive great joy from frequently playing and sharing Hawaiian music.
Don/Cookie
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  09:50:48 AM  Show Profile
I grew up in San Francisco in the 60's, and the rock n' roll scene was thriving. Can't say how many Dead shows I've been to. But I was very fortunate that my parents loved classical music and opera, and I learned to have an open ear.

Fast forward through my bluegrass years to maybe 2001 and I heard Keola Beamer live for the first time. His music and spirit went straight to my heart like nothing else I had experienced.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  11:20:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dr. cookie

I've been around music all my life, including playing piano, organ, tuba & guitar and singing in choirs. By the late 1960's and early 1970's I was simultaneously playing in successful rock band, playing classical music on big pipe organs, plus singing in a Peter, Paul & Mary-type trio as well as in a very serious college acapella choir.
My introduction to Hawaiian music came during ten years of graduate school in Hawai`i. I became a big fan of the local music scene on Oahu . . . but for some unknown reason, it never entered my mind to try/start playing this music. After marrying Joy (my "Palolo Valley Girl") and moving to the mainland, we made a few subsequent return trips to visit her family . . . and it was on one of those trips, just a few years ago (=/- 2003), that I suddenly just HAD to buy my first `ukulele. I spent the first year dabbling with old standards like "Slow Boat to China," before stumbling upon Joy's stash of Hawaiian cassettes and CD's . . . and suddenly I was hooked.
By the time I acquired a half-dozen ukes, I realized it wasn't `ukulele that I was really drawn to---it was Hawaiian music. I quickly became obsessed with trying to understand the poetry behind the beautiful music of Lili`uokalani (initially via Dennis Kamakahi & Maunalua). From that moment on I was like a kid in a candy store "discovering" new songs . . . exploring the music, the poetry and learning to play them.
I guess I'm still in the kid-in-the-candy-store stage . . . and thanks to the notorious "kankikapilers" in the "Seattle experiment" thread, I now derive great joy from frequently playing and sharing Hawaiian music.
Don/Cookie

We are blessed here in Seattle because we have access to the Doctor's wonderful song book "Ka Puke A Kuki" (which can be prnounced two ways, according to the author, depending on what you think of the book), not to mention hanging out wid 'im.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  2:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
I must have always been a slack key player because it sounded so right on first hearing. I stumbled into the first Dancing Cat Masters album, Ray Kane, Sonny, and Leonard Kwan and started to try to copy them. Then I found out about Goerg'es camp and realized that I could maybe really learn some of this instead of just approximating. Ozzie was a giant an generous help. Hooked now forever.

Jim Garson

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Makuakane
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  8:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Makuakane's Homepage
I love the Bill Wynne story a lot and can definitely relate. I have a new appreciation for you. I was there, when you won the falsetto contest and thought it strange to give the prize to someone outside of Hawaii, since the record company had to recoup the investment from island record sales. I now see they made the right choice.

As for my friend Jean from Bellevue, your gang and your home are wonderful reasons to keep playing Hawaiian music outside of the islands.

I applaud all of you who passionately strive and thrive on this music. Ua mau!
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  8:46:08 PM  Show Profile
My guitar is back on the east coast so at the moment, just waiting till I can bring it over, on a return trip, probably in December. I am only just starting out on guitar.

Here I want to be learning when I hear anything by Dennis Kamakahi but especially Kokee. ...also Hank Williams Sr. sends me.... Love to watch old clips of him on youtube.

Would have been nice if there was old film footage of Gabby Pahinui but nada on my search.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  06:58:54 AM  Show Profile
I grew up learning fo play da ukulele in elementary school (in Hilo). Afta playing in bands (marching and concert) all da way through college, I started fo pick up da ukulele again once I wen grad from UH wen I wen move to da mainland fo mo school. I really wen miss da island cultre choke, an da easiest way fo get in touch wit dat fo me was through da music.

Da funny ting is dat afta so long tinking i knew wat slack key was, I started listening to it again ... only to find out I was wrong ... all my life :-) Tanks to Fran an his awesome music. Afta I wen meet him at da Aloha festival, I got his tutorial on slack key an wen go straight home fo practice um ... now I no can get enough time seems like, fo play. I was so amazed at how relaxed Fran looks playing his music! Since den I saw odda playas and most of um stay so stiff, I no can handle watching um.

On da ukulele Herb Ohta Jr, Jake have been my main sources of inspiration. I love da soothing sounds Jr makes and da driving stuff Jake plays. I love da style of Ale`a too ... On da slack key side, I love listening to Led Ka`apana and Ray Kane.

Since my wife's hapai now ... one of my goals is to learn ki ho`alu an keep trying fo get mo nahenahe on da ukulele too to be able fo play nice lullabies fo our baby ... especially since I no can sing :-) Tanks to all you guys too, fo posting your recordings online. I love um. Nuff said ... shootz!

Brandon

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  05:21:47 AM  Show Profile
Island fever...
und der Big Island, und Hawaiian Slack Key Masters...vol. 1&2...
und Keola's book...und fer sure, Kona Bob (first cd's free, brah!)...und we need something to keep us warm in the Colorado winter...and der summer ist nicht zer gut either machen above timberline...

There's a universe behind that door.
Monty Hall is a merry trickster, but we're not trading--not even for German lessons.
Auf Weidersehen und Aloha.
Kapila
Go to Top of Page

Ginny
Aloha

43 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  4:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Did I win yet, did I win yet????
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  12:13:01 PM  Show Profile
A while back, as many of you know, I was a roadie for Metallica. One day while setting up a show, I backed into an acoustic guitar which fell over and smashed down into the orchestra pit, where it collided with a Koa wood bench. The resulting sound of the splintering guitar combining with Koa was too much. In a second, I had discovered the sound nearest to my heart.

It was all downhill from there.....

Cheers

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  12:16:32 PM  Show Profile
I think cmdrpiffle should win. That is the best story yet. From Metallica to nahenahe. Can't beat that.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  5:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
A few years ago we were looking for some live Music on the Big Island and we were directed to The Beach Tree Grill to Hear Kunia Galdeira between sets He came over and sat with us and had a drink and he started my education into Hawaiian Music and Slack key. He just assumed I knew who his family was, seems his Grandfather was some Famous guy named Gabby Pahinui,Since I had NO idea who he was at the time and I did not want to appear totally stupid I just sat there and nodded. But the next day I found out and have kept learning since. And although I do not play Slack Key ( just now learning to play the Ukulele) I have become a HUGE fan.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  5:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I was blessed with the honor of attending Kamehameha School in the early 70's. The Cazimero's had just left and the Beamer's were just coming up. I was lolo and wanted only rock and roll (hippy stuff). But I did develop a passion for the ukulele, which I maintain still. My grandfather played slack key and the uke, curiously he had cut off the tip of his thumb with a circular saw and the shape of his thumb nail allowed him the versatility of having a sharp or soft sound, like the rustling of leaves. My mother was an opera singer and my little brother (Pastor Wayne) is an accomplished musician, speaker and author. And me? I don't know. Das why hard, yeah?
Go to Top of Page

mahimahi
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  10:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Just got from the islands and still couldn't get enough of the sweet island music....we were able to catch Olomana & Cindy Combs and others at Gordon Biersch...made a quick stop to Jelly for hard to find CDs....but the best part was seeing my girlfriend Liz fall in love with the Da " Mana " Cove Bowl at the Diamond Head Cove Health Bar with live music provided by Marcos & Pono..., another highlight was an unschedule tour provided by Paul Okami of KoAloha Ukulele as we came in unannounced ...well the eclipse was awesome & so was fresh poke at Ward Farmers' Market and it'll be Christmas in Hawaii next.....later...James
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000