Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 inspiration -- * September giveaway *
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  2:00:19 PM  Show Profile
I remember my dad having an ukulele and playing it when I was a kid. Can't recall if it was Hawaiian music. But he also played violin and some guitar. It was his pastime, and I can't recall ever seeing him play with others. But now and then at occasions in the house he would pull out one of the instruments and play. My mom always love to sing but her venue was Sunday mass, and hearing from my mom's co-workers at work.

With the invasion of the Brits in the 60's and the emergence of folk songs I got my first guitar. Never became proficient. But it was my younger brother who got into playing guitar and singing to another level. So from the side I watched him. We liked the music to varying degrees of James Taylor, Kenny Rankin, America, the Beatles and the Beach Boys. And then I discovered Brazillian and tried to better my guitar skills and singing. There was also Kalapana, Cecilio and Kapono and the Beamer Brothers and Hawaiian music -- though contemporary -- enterred.

My older brother was also into Hawaiian music, where he ventured into slack key and falsetto. He was not a performer but an affecianado. And while he got into more Hawaiian, I was still into Brazillian along with my younger brother who also got into Reggae and Jawaiian.

Hawaiian music always remained in the background. And even when I lived in Kaneohe it was still the contemporay Hawaiian music I listened too. I returned to the mainland and at some point I closeted my guitar after learning a few Brazillian and jazz standards. I was content to watch my younger brother grow in ukulele playing, and singing mele (and now to slack key guitar, Hawaiian language and hula) as his daughter began her hula. As a good uncle, I would go to some hula competions and the halau's shows to give my support.

It was time to visit Hawaii again. I accompanied my younger brother to Aloha Music Camp in Moloka'i, an island I had yet to visit. So before the camp, I got one of my brother's ukuleles and started learning and practicing the chords. And at AMC the fire was reignited. I got into the joy of playing and singing again. And now almost two years later, I find myself participating at kanikapilas and open mics, and sometimes performing at events usually with my brother. But the best is the memories of my parents brought back, my Mom singing and my Dad playing the ukulele.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  2:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i'll choose an inspirational moment.

some years ago, through taropatch, i learned of slack key bill. bill lives in pai'a and we had just got our house in ka'anapali. so, bill and i exchanged some email, and we decided to meet and play some music. i'm so nervous - i've not played much with others, and all i know is some stuff out of hansen's book and some lessons from uncle chuck in torrance. bill and i meet out by the pool at the ka'anapali beach hotel in the early evening. we sit on the top of a picnic table and start swapping tunes. i can't follow him but he can follow me. he does a drop dead beautiful version of "lahaina luna" and shows me how it's put together. i start thinking of tabbing it, but it's going by too fast. bill suggests i don't think of the tab, but instead think of the music. so, i look hard at what he's playing and try to see the logic. we play until it gets too dark, and i go home and practice until, a few days later, i have my own version of "lahainaluna". it's like bill's - you can see the connection - but it's mine. in a sense, it was a gift from bill.

fast forward some amount of time, and bill introduces me to kevin brown. i never made it when uncle sol was playing, aue. anyway, from brother kevin, i learn the style of maui slack key, passing a tune around a circle, singing, allowing the song to medley into something else, brother sheldon modulating like a madman, and playing until you can't see the guitars any more.

my inspiration, and my heart is with my maui slack key 'ohana - bill, kevin, hal, kawika, dean, sheldon, dan, kitty, gosh, i'm missing so many. heaven is sitting in a circle, passing a song around, plenty of food, and taking long talk story breaks.

oh, and after getting a little lecture in keola's class this summer, i started using tab again, but only as a tool

Edited by - marzullo on 09/14/2007 2:55:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  6:46:28 PM  Show Profile
My inspiration is my first teacher; my dad. If it weren't for him, I'm not sure I would love music the way I do today.

I am blessed to have a lot of musicians in my family. My grand uncle played with the Kahauanu Lake Trio. Another uncle played on ocean liners and in clubs. My dad also played in a musical group with his co-workers in Waikiki in the 70's before I was born.
I remember beautiful music at family parties from when I was a small kid. It seemed like every uncle could play some sing or play an instrument and every aunty danced hula. Really nice memories. :)

As for me I took pianos lessons when I was young, did that whole thing, but I never really got into music until one day with my dad.

I still remember the day I became interested in the ukulele and music. I was about 12 years old and I was riding to pick up my sis from her class at UH.

We were driving past the East West Center and "Palolo" by the Ka'au Crater Boys came on the radio. I remember hearing Troy Fernandez and thinking "wow, that is so cool." I remember my dad at the same time making the comment, "That guy must have 12 fingers".

Right when we got home I got the black case that held the Kamaka soprano out of the closet and asked my dad to teach me. I remember he taught me a really easy song that he called the "Circus Song" because it was a waltz that sounded like something they would play on a carousel. I remember sitting for hours trying to get my fingers to work. The next day I was so proud I could play the whole song for my dad, so he showed me another song and another and then he taught me guitar.

Fast forward a few years and I ended up getting a scholarship to music school and studied classical guitar abroad for a year. I missed home though so I ended up back in Hawaii playing at clubs in reggae bands and such. I eventually joined the military and came back to the mainland to finish my engineering degree (1 semester to go :D :D ) and then back to Hawaii for me (i hope).

Anyways, before I began playing the ukulele I was kind of a naughty kid, and the ukulele really changed things for me. For one it gave me a creative outlet, which I still feel is invaluable for kids. Most important to me though, it gave my dad and I something that we could do together and gave us a bond that we share to this day.

I hope I can share that with my son when he gets a little older too.

and that is my story.
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  7:48:10 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou:

I had been listening to ki ho'alu for about 30 years - Gabby and family,Atta Isaacs and Leonard Kwan and Ray Kane and many others, when I finally dawned on me that perhaps I could learn to play, too!
So my 60th birthday present for myself was a trip to the Aloha Music Camp to start learning to play. Also had Ozzie's book.... Boy I wish I hadn't waited so long! Duh. Last few years I've been attending Uncle George's workshops and hope to keep on learning - so much music, so little time....

Everyone I hear is an influence for me, yah? But the bigest would be John Keawe, Dennis Kamakahi, Ledward Ka'apana, Ozzie Kotani, Cyril Pahinui, Keola Beamer, George and Keoki Kahumoku.
For 'ukulele, it's Herb Ohta Jr, Kimo Hussey, Ohta San and Keoki.

Music is how your soul speaks, I can't imagine my life without this wonderful nahenahe healing inspirational and incredibly fun to play music in my life. I am so blessed. me ke aloha!

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  07:47:50 AM  Show Profile
ocd...
always remember to check your doors 3-7 times before you leave your house or car...and then go back in to wash your hands.
did i post...insurance post.

I realize that I manage my slight add with ocd...
the new neurosis then would be:
Attention Surplus Syndrome
might lead to an interesting acronym.

Kona Bob made me obsess about Hawaiian music...
one little free sampler, and now I need a bigger house.
Hapa, Iz, Master's of Hawaiian Slack vol. 1 and 2...
Happily obsessed.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  01:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Everyone here is patient. Sorry for taking a few days.

Thanks for posting your stories. Story telling is such an integral part of Hawaiian culture and performing Hawaiian music so it is especially nice that you all share here. Thank you all for participating.

Here are our randomly drawn winners:

mahimahi - Treasures of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
cmdrpiffle - Darin Leong Five Years And Many Miles

Please email me your snail mail addresses, and I'll mail the CDs out.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  02:27:40 AM  Show Profile
Congrats to you guys.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page