Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kawai Punahele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  2:28:13 PM  Show Profile
Keali'i did not do the remix himself nor did his label. He was contacted by the person who produced the remix and allowed it to be done. I think the fellow who did it was from NY but can't recall from my conversation with Keali‘i's manager about it.. It wasn't him trying to be experimental himself.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  4:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo for clearing that up Keola. I do love the song Kawaipunahele also by Keali'i Reichel. Its so awesome!

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  9:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Not to pop baloons but Keal'i is a singer , dancer, kumu hula. He admitted to us years ago he is not a guitarist. If anybody like learn one of his songs. Sit down and pound 'em out one line at a time from the record. Then change the arrangement a little for variety. That is how most of learn a song. If there is a book all well and good. Another thing Keali'i said was he didn't listen to other Hawaiian music very much unless he was learning a song. He did not want to end up sounding like some other artist. That would not happen too much since most of the songs in Hawaiian language were composed either by him or others for him. And he had some eerie experiences before he wrote some songs. As if spirits were guiding him.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  2:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Not to pop baloons but Keal'i is a singer , dancer, kumu hula. He admitted to us years ago he is not a guitarist. If anybody like learn one of his songs. Sit down and pound 'em out one line at a time from the record. Then change the arrangement a little for variety. That is how most of learn a song. If there is a book all well and good. Another thing Keali'i said was he didn't listen to other Hawaiian music very much unless he was learning a song. He did not want to end up sounding like some other artist. That would not happen too much since most of the songs in Hawaiian language were composed either by him or others for him. And he had some eerie experiences before he wrote some songs. As if spirits were guiding him.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought he plays and sings at the same time. Please clarify this for me. Does he not?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  4:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Very often, perhaps most of the time, recordings are "assembled" from individual tracks. The tracks are generally made one instrument at a time. This produces a recording of a large number of tracks which are then mixed down to a 2 track stereo master. The master is copied to produce the finished CD. This allows each track to be adjusted for volume and other qualities to complement each other. Reverb may be added to one track, chorus to another,the volume of the lead vocal can be raised above the backing vocal(s). A live show is another matter. In the studeo, if you cough during your vocal, the track is re recorded. No re-do's on stage.Keali'i may or may not play guitar on every track in the studio. He doesn't in the concert DVD we have. I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out, because I don't know a lot about studio recordings. But that's the bare bones of how it's done.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  6:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I saw Keali'i (on video) play and sing this song solo while in standard tuning. He plays fine, but when he's recording he works with some studio pros who would put all of us to shame, so he probably doesn't brag about his skills.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  03:23:44 AM  Show Profile
When he was in Cleveland last year teaching the Northcoast Hula Workshop, he did have a guitar with him...not a very good one at all. His guitar playing was simply to accompany the mele for which he was teaching a hula. In addition, he played CDs for the auana he was teaching (Maunaleo). We he was brought here to teach we were instructed by the lady who started the hula hui that Keali`i the performer and Keali`i the kumu hula were two separate people and not to mix the two. He did play at the ho`ike - one for which Puakea Nogelmeier danced (Hanohano Ka Lei Pikake). It wa pure rythym guitar.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  02:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
BTW, I'm definitely ordering the Kukahi DVD that just came out on Tuesday! Tell me, does anyone have it? Is it good? I bet it's fantastic!

Oh yeah, and also, I always miss his live performances when I go to Maui. Oh well. Maybe next time. You never know!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  05:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

BTW, I'm definitely ordering the Kukahi DVD that just came out on Tuesday! Tell me, does anyone have it? Is it good? I bet it's fantastic!

Is it out? I had a release date of Nov. 6 from his publicist.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  10:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

'Ae! It came out last Tuesday, October 23!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  7:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree. Keali'i is not a "guitarist" as such. In concert, he strummed now and then and it seemed pretty straightforward. On Kawaipunahele, I think the had a 12 string accompaniment. I could not tell if it was slack key or not. He has a gorgeous voice, does a mean hula and is a great ambassador.

Slow down! It's Molokai.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:15:52 PM  Show Profile
Cyberglen - you summed it up perfectly... He has a gorgeous voice, does a mean hula and is a great ambassador. `Ae.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  12:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

'Ae! It came out last Tuesday, October 23!

Does anyone have this in hand yet? All the sources I see still have a Nov. 6 release date, including Auntie Maria at Mele.com (and his mainland publicist confirmed that date for me back on 10/22.)

Edited by - Retro on 10/29/2007 12:45:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  1:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria told me that release date has been pushed back due to production problems.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 11/01/2007 12:31:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I'm so sorry guys! I didn't know that at the time.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000