Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Moe Keale - E Ku`u Morning Dew
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  3:37:36 PM  Show Profile
When Uncle Moe recorded E Ku`u Morning Dew with the Sons of Hawai`i, oes anyone know who was singing harmony with him on the song? Was it Uncle Dennis? It does not sound like Tutu Eddie Kamae.

I was revisiting my Uncle Moe music today. No voice could be sweeter. He had such mana, as well. Wow! When I listen to Uncle Moe, I feel as though I have been touched by some mystical power.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  4:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
'Ae. And my two favorites are "Aloha Is" and "A Part of Me, A Part of You."

Have you heard the Keale CD Kahikina? Keale is Walt Keale, who also is a member of Kaukahi. I think his singing and 'ukulele playing sound just like those of Braddah Iz. Keale is very lucky to have had him as a cousin.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  11:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I'll ask Bill. I'll let you know.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  06:57:40 AM  Show Profile
To add to the intrigue, the vinyl's liner notes state that in addition to Eddie, Moe, Dennis, Joe and Feet:

"Singing with the Sons of Hawai`i on this recording is HAROLD KANIHO, straight from the Maui sugar plantation where he works. Another addition here is the voice of KULO 'The Kid from Kona'...well known in the islands for his Hawaiian falsetto voice."

FYI for those who are wondering -- this is on the SOH vinyl #1001, one of the ones which were simply titled "Eddie Kamae Presents the Sons of Hawai`i".

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  07:22:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
FYI for those who are wondering -- this is on the SOH vinyl #1001, one of the ones which were simply titled "Eddie Kamae Presents the Sons of Hawai`i".
Eddie told me once that "the bass player Joe Marshall" sang lead on that song (he was lamenting that he had not sung lead on that session), and probably it is Moe singing the harmony. I have several of Moe's recordngs and the lead voice does not quite sound like him to me. To me, the backing vocal does sound like Moe. It does not sound like Dennis. (Joe and Moe voices were in the same range) And, of course, the song on that release is titled with Eddie's and Larry's original title of just "Morning Dew".

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/19/2007 11:42:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  08:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:
Eddie told me once that "the Bass player Joe Marshall" sang lead on that song (he was lamenting that he had not sang lead on that session), and probably it is Moe singing the harmony. I have several of Moe's recordngs and the lead voice does not quite sound like him to me. To me, the backing vocal does sound like Moe. It does not sound like Dennis. (Joe and Moe voices were in the same range) And, of course, the song on that release is titled with Eddie's and Larry's original title of just "Morning Dew".

Lawrence, I concur with you. I have always thought that was Joe singing lead since Joe sang lead on a few previous Sons Of Hawaii cuts and a few after and the voices match. And the harmony does sound more like Moe.

(Auntie Maria added some interesting facts that only us vinyl diehards still have access to. But I don't think either of those mystery voices is heard on "Morning Dew.")

An interesting sidenote... A lot of posts about the Sons Of Hawaii since I joined this group. And I noticed that almost everyone uses the `okina in "Hawai`i" while ironically none of the original Sons Of Hawaii releases use an `okina in the "Hawaii" in their name. Just because we entered the age of Hawaiian language enlightenment, does that mean we can change the name of the group? Did Uncle Eddie change it? (The `okina is used intermittently on the case for the Sons documentary DVD.) I mean, if we do that, then we have to go back and put an `okina in Hui `Ohana (there wasn't one when they formed in the 1970s) and the Ho`opi`i Brothers and on and on and on. And we could debate whether or not there should be one in Led Kaapana's name, but he will tell you, "No, thank you."

Food for thought...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  09:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Though the diacritical marks themselves may not have been used in print often, there is no doubt that the glottal stop was in place verbally. So implementing those marks today does not the name of the group.

Note that the diacritical mark was indeed included on the cover of this 2004 Sons of Hawai`i release:
http://www.mele.com/music/artist/eddie+kamae/eddie+kamae%3A+sons+of+hawai%60i/

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  09:44:42 AM  Show Profile
I did not know Joe Marshall had that voice. Can there be two men in the world with such sweet, powerful voices? Then the mana must be Joe's. Wow. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

I was thinking maybe he double tracked it and sang harmony with himself.

But Podagee, please check it out with Bill and confirm. I guess I have been wrong all the time I have been listening to this.

Wow. I am speechless. (Ha-ha..I know you guys are saying uiha).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 11/18/2007 11:32:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  2:19:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I did not know Joe Marshall had that voice. Can there be two men in the world with such sweet, powerful voices? Then the mana must be Joe's. Wow. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

You got that right!! This is my wife's favorite Hawaiian Song, and has been so since 1976 when it first came out. She made me learn a Slack Key version so we could play and sing together.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  09:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
The diacriticals problem is the sort of thing editors have to worry about--mine certainly will. My solution has been to reproduce whatever my source uses (or doesn't), which, given the kind of copy-editing record jackets and labels got (and probably still get), makes for all kinds of inconsistencies. Some song titles get two or three different renderings, depending on how the albums present them. It's going to make indexing real interesting.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  10:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Written Hawaiian follows a convention developed by the teachers and researchers of the language in recent times. Diacriticals allow for the writing of Hawaiian in a manner that allows for a clearer understanding of what is written. For example how would one ascertain the difference between la and la if a kahako was not used to spell the la meaning day? If one were a native speaker such marks would not be needed because the context of the sentence would denote which word was being used. I think today it would be out of sheer laziness and sloth to not spell every written Hawaiian word with out the proper marks. It would be an insult to all those people who have worked hard to standardize the language for future students greater understanding of Hawaiian language. Native speakers are slowly disappearing from the face of the earth. If we do not use diacriticals in the spelling of words. We will certainly forget how to pronounce the words of the Hawaiian language. The use of diacriticals is not a problem. Just learn how to spell the mother tongue properly.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  02:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Agree 100% with what No`eau says regarding diacriticals. Makes it very easy for a non-native speaker to learn the language. Easier than English, because, if you see it, you say it, not like all that i before e except after c balderdash.

Regarding Joe Marshall or Moe Keale singing that, I watched Eddie Kamae's DVD about the Sons of Hawai`i last night and payed particularly close attention to the part about Joe Marshall. I did not notice similarities with Moe in his singing voice, other than, of course, it was sweet and beautiful. His speaking voice certainly has a different timbre to it than Uncle Moe's. However, Joe Marshall seemed like such as sweet, jolly, kind gentleman and perhaps a bit rascally.

In that film, I loved the story that Braddah Smitty told about Marshall losing his false teeth to the doggie. That happened to my Ma, sort of. She would come home from work and take her teeth out because they must have didn't fit right and our dog stole them off the end table and ran around with them in her mouth. I do believe my Ma was grumpy at the dog after that.

I have been listening to Morning Dew over and over trying to determine if that is not Moe's voice. I am telling you it sure sounds like Moe to be.

I want a voice print analysis.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  08:25:28 AM  Show Profile
When I need an answer, I try to go direct to the source -- which is what I did with this one...asked Myrna Kamae. Here's her reply:

"The short answer is Yes, it is Moe singing. Eddie felt he had the right voice to introduce the song. We had Moe dub the second voice too."

Next question?

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  09:22:36 AM  Show Profile
You da bes` Auntie!!!! See...I thought it was Moe singing harmony with Moe!!!!! Now I do not feel my ears were deceiving me.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  10:32:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:
When I need an answer, I try to go direct to the source -- which is what I did with this one...asked Myrna Kamae. Here's her reply:

"The short answer is Yes, it is Moe singing. Eddie felt he had the right voice to introduce the song. We had Moe dub the second voice too."

Next question?
I went directly to the source too... Eddie! I asked him directly at the Ku'umbwa Jazz club in Santa Cruz, with his wife standing next to him. This is when he said that "the bass player Joe Marshall" sang lead and Myrna did not correct him. (We also asked about the english lyrics that Jay Laram had recorded by that time and several other things).

Now, how is that for confusion!

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/20/2007 10:36:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  11:10:27 AM  Show Profile
Aha! Now you know how Russell has been suffering, trying to get stories - histories - straight, for the last few years. Bill is probably flipping, too. This happens all the time with anthropologists and cops.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000