Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DaKineViking
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  11:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, ko'u hoaloha…my life-long love affair with Hawai'i began as a 4-year old in Hilo. Family took me back to mainland at 16, so when I think home, I think Hilo. My love of Hawai'i, its people and its music far transcends this boy’s “haole-ness”. My love and respect for the people and culture shape whom this 64-year old has become. Been playing guitar since about age 10 in Hilo, but what little
ki ho'alu knowledge learned under banyan tree at old Waiakea-Kai school is fading, so I’m reading up on KBeamer’s, Ozzie's and others' websites. Can still finger pick pretty well, but looking forward to much a’o at TPatch. Recently got to visit Hilo, 1st time in 48 years…tears come now as I recall. Keep me in prayers…may not have "true" Hawaiian blood in my veins, but Hawai'i flows thru my heart, and more and more now, thru my fingers...hope to do the art form justice. Mahalo.

Lona

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  11:56:06 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai kaua. Welcome to the patch you're in the best place to advance your knowledge of the guitar and Hawaiian music. There are many people who are willing to share their mana'o with you.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  1:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Yes- welcome to the patch.

Remember, now that you are registered, you can click on "members" at the top and find the members who may be in your area. There are a number who declare themselves to be in your area (and probably a few more who are, but don't declare it). When you get to the members page, click first on "all" then click on "state". State is fist listed alphabetically downward (starting with undelcared "-"). Click on "state" again and the list will go from last letter to first. Scroll down through the large number of Washington members and you will eventually come to your state. This will perhaps lead you to folks you can kanikapila with, which is a good way to improve your chops.

Some of the folks who are local (to DaKineViking) might also chime in here!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/26/2007 5:53:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  5:52:58 PM  Show Profile
howzit, welcome to da patch!

from one hilo boy to one odda. Hilo is one special place, it neva leaves yo heart. Once a hilo-boy, always a hilo boy. :-) now i stay on da mainland too ... ova in CA, but. Take care and keep warm eh!

dis is da best place fo share and fo learn all about ki ho`alu, ukulele, and hawaiian music (and stuff)!

shootz den!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  7:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha mai kaua amd e komo mai to the Patch! Mahalo for posting. Always remember that you have one huge 'ohana here in the Patch and some people are willing to share their mana'o about Hawaiian culture, music, or whatever.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  11:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Ron -welcomd to TaroPatch. This is a community full of multi-talented folks who can help you, who can encourage you and who can share their vast knowledge with you. Grab a cup o' joe and talk story a while.

Welcome.
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

DaKineViking
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  1:23:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Aloha mai kaua. Welcome to the patch you're in the best place to advance your knowledge of the guitar and Hawaiian music. There are many people who are willing to share their mana'o with you.

Mahalo for the warm welcome...and for the enouragement. Looking forward to learning and maybe someday being able to share mana'o.

Lona
Go to Top of Page

kmedeiros
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  6:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, I am a 15 year old from the Bay Area, California. My family is from Maui, and they moved to California in the 60s. I had heard slack key and ?ukulele records from my grandparents as a child, but never learned how to play, although I wanted to. Finally, after several years of playing guitar, on a trip back to Hawaii, i came across Keola Beamer?s "Learn to Play Slack Key Guitar". I instantly fell in love with the music and have been playing for several years. I think this website is a great idea, and hope I can continue to learn the great tradition of Ki Ho?alu with it.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  01:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Aloha K. Medeiros. Welcome to 'taro Patch. I am glad to see a teenager paying attention to the "old" style music. This is a good thing. Not every teenager has to be a sheep following along with the rest of the flock. It is good to go on your own and develop that which is unique to you. You will get plenty of help and advice from the many talented musicians here. They are most kind in their sharing of talent and mana`o.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

DaKineViking
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  08:39:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

Yes- welcome to the patch.

Remember, now that you are registered, you can click on "members" at the top and find the members who may be in your area. There are a number who declare themselves to be in your area (and probably a few more who are, but don't declare it). When you get to the members page, click first on "all" then click on "state". State is fist listed alphabetically downward (starting with undelcared "-"). Click on "state" again and the list will go from last letter to first. Scroll down through the large number of Washington members and you will eventually come to your state. This will perhaps lead you to folks you can kanikapila with, which is a good way to improve your chops.

Some of the folks who are local (to DaKineViking) might also chime in here!

Mahalo fo da kokua!

Lona
Go to Top of Page

DaKineViking
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  08:40:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by da_joka

from one hilo boy to one odda. Hilo is one special place, it neva leaves yo heart. Once a hilo-boy, always a hilo boy. :-) now i stay on da mainland too ... ova in CA, but. Take care and keep warm eh!

dis is da best place fo share and fo learn all about ki ho`alu, ukulele, and hawaiian music (and stuff)!

shootz den!

Lona
Go to Top of Page

DaKineViking
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  08:44:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by da_joka

shootz den!

Howzit, my new friend! You right...Hilo one special place. I like go back soon, stay awhile. I stay TX now...too fah from home! Mahalo for warm welcome. Look forward to learning, sharing. Aloha

Lona
Go to Top of Page

DaKineViking
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  08:49:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Ron -welcomd to TaroPatch. This is a community full of multi-talented folks who can help you, who can encourage you and who can share their vast knowledge with you. Grab a cup o' joe and talk story a while.

Welcome.
Wanda

Mahalo nui loa! All da replies been so much full of aloha...glad to fine da patch...look forward to talking story wit da new 'ohana! Aloha.

Lona
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  04:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Velkommen til TP! Another Scandihoovian trying foa play da kika is always welcome. Fish and poi, fish and potatoes. All the same.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  08:07:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Fish and poi, fish and potatoes.

Don't you mean Fish and Poi, Lutefisk and Potatoes ???

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  08:26:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Velkommen til TP! Another Scandihoovian trying foa play da kika is always welcome. Fish and poi, fish and potatoes. All the same.

no foget one side of dakine oompah mele wit dat too :-)

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000