Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian Recipes for low sodium diet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  03:37:12 AM  Show Profile
I am in desperate need of help. Now that I am on a low sodium diet, it do not know how to cook many of my favorite Hawaiian foods. How can I cook kalua pig without tons of sea salt rubbed all over the pork? How can I cook many of my favorite foods without soy sauce? Even the low-sodium stuff has too much for what I am permitted. How can I make spam musubi? The spam has lots of salt, as well as the shoyu. Even laulau, although I think I can do this with fresh fish/seafood and adding no salt to the bundles. Also, haupia is probably out, because supposedly coconut oil is too much saturated fat. Don't want the bypass arteries to clog up, too.

Any low-sodium suggestions for Hawaiian foods is greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I ordered a couple of low-sodium, healthy cookbooks from Native Books Hawai`i. Matter of fact, I ordered the only two "healthy" books I could find.

If anyone knows what Uluwehi Guerrero did to lose all his weight, please let me know. He abviously had to change drastically the way he ate. Also, Uncle Moe after his heart attack. I have found out that crab meat is very high in sodium, even if you add nothing to it when you cook it. Regular fish, though is pretty darn good for you.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 01/06/2008 03:39:00 AM

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  06:10:28 AM  Show Profile
I can answer the question about Uluwehi -- he (and Keali`i Reichel's mom, Lei) lost weight by dropping their salt & sugar intake dramatically, engaging in lots and lots and lots of exercise (hiking and walking), and eating more frequent (but much, much smaller) portions of food.

Saw Ulu just about two months ago...he's regained most of his weight. But Kealii's mom is still looking great, and still watches her diet carefully and exercises daily.

No quick fix...and I'm starting 2008 wanting to emulate Lei!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  09:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Lucky I do not need to lose more weight. I am 5'7" and I am down to 130 lbs. and holding steady. I cannot remember last time I weighed 130. Must have been about 6th grade or so. After my second daughter was born, I weighed about 220. Yep, definitely too much nui-nui. A few years after she was born, I was diagnosed with diabetes. Did not want to take insulin. I lost weight slowly but surely simply by reducing portion size. Now after all the diuretics they gave me in the hospital and by watching salt intake, I lost probably about another 15 lbs. Mostly water, some of it due to lousy hospital food for 3 weeks and days of no food with tubes down my nose, etc.

I am definitely getting used to using no salt.

But still....I was one who advocated "pork fat rules". Or like Paula Deen -- butter and cream on everything.

Well, you got to pay the piper some day and I am paying, boy oh boy, did I ever pay.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  1:36:33 PM  Show Profile
Wanda, I can't vouch for this one as I haven't seen it myself, but the review sounds promising:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Dec/03/il/il20ataste.html

Is this one of the ones you already ordered?

Good luck!

-Mike

Edited by - mike2jb on 01/06/2008 1:38:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  1:57:23 PM  Show Profile
Mike - yes, this is one of the books I ordered. Thanks for providing the link to the review. That is most helpful.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  2:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Wanda one of my favorite cookbooks ia Terry Shintani MD Hawaii Diet I have used it since 1999 not sure if it is still in print or easy to find I think I have two copies email me if you are interested I do not have your snail mail or I would send when If find it.
I make my Kalua pork ( I actually use Turkey lower in fat and really good)without salt. after 10 years at this most reg. food now tastes too salty to us.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  6:19:46 PM  Show Profile
I thought a turkey breast would take well to the Kalua Pork cooking method. I just havcen't tried it yet. But I think that may be on the menu soon. Turkey musube may soon follow. I have to keep this girl around. She never even threw me out, yet.We was planning to get old together some day, when we get time.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 01/06/2008 6:21:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  01:43:06 AM  Show Profile
I found this on cooking Light magazine web site. Low sodium version of Kalua Pig.
Oven Kalua Pork

This more accessible version of the classic slow-roasted pig enjoyed at luaus is cooked as a roast in a regular oven. It is typical to stir any reserved meat juice into the shred-ded pork. If you do, we recommend that you skim the fat first. Place a heavy-duty plastic bag into a measuring cup; pour collected juices into the bag. Let stand 10 minutes or until fat rises to the top. Using kitchen shears, snip a small portion of one bottom corner of the bag, and pour the juices over shredded pork, stopping before you reach the fat layer.

4 1/4 pounds Boston Butt pork roast, trimmed
2 tablespoons barbecue smoked seasoning (such as Hickory Liquid Smoke)
3/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 275°.
Rub pork with liquid smoke. Wrap pork tightly in foil; place on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 275° for 5 hours. Cool slightly. Remove pork from bone; discard bone. Shred meat with 2 forks. Combine shredded pork and salt in a large bowl, tossing well.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces)

CALORIES 234 (44% from fat); FAT 11.5g (sat 3.9g,mono 5.5g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 30.5g; CHOLESTEROL 108mg; CALCIUM 8mg; SODIUM 249mg; FIBER 0.0g; IRON 1.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 0.0g

Cooking Light, MARCH 2005

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  03:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
DAT how I do it except you no need even dat little bit salt never miss it honest. and I love to grate ginger and some garlic and rib that all over the bugger ( pork or turkey before wrap him up. I grow bananas (indoors in winter) just so I can wrap it in banana leaves then tight wrap in foil. Last year I took this to 4th of July picnic and had NO leftovers. Kids even request thanksgiving and Christmas turkey that way now. No Problem for me much easier than other way.
OH NO I am getting hungery and it is only 9 AM long way to lunch!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  06:36:39 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Wanda! NO worry da diet! Uncle Wiliama of Ante Nane's Ohana Koffee Korner in Bothell makes chicken musubis and ono meatball musubis. Out here on the rainy side of the mountains, I've seen kalua turkeys, chickens, beef and venison. If doing turkey in da oven, can use low sodium chicken broth and liquid smoke. If you no more luau leaf, can use spinach.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  08:18:56 AM  Show Profile
No foget da banana leaftoo if you can find um. We get stores that sell da kine o hea! Da hard one fo fine is da lau ki (ti leaf). Also get lo-so Spam and Aloha shoyu get lo-so kine too. Either way can and should get used to low slt. Me my blood pressure is on the good side so I naughty guy and I pile on the shoyu especially in my home made saimin. But I should eat less of everyting cause I get type II diabetes. Hard for stay on one regimen li'dat but Wanda I know you going do that cause you no foget the scare you got when the attack happened and you woke up in the hospital. If you remember that you jus might stay on the diet for your life is at stake. Aloha to you and holomua i ka lanakila(forward to victory).

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 01/07/2008 08:24:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  10:17:39 AM  Show Profile
I've got banana leaves. I keep a bag of them in the freezer for making laulau because cannot get ti leaves. For kalua pig, I use spinach leaves. I have found that even the low sodium spam and the low sodium shoyu has way too much. Way, way too much. I am allowed the equivalent of one teaspoon of salt per day. I have found that some stuff inherently has sodium (like crab meat). Some stuff has lots of added sodium,but things I never really thought about such as baking powder and baking soda, so all them good hillbilly biscuits are out unless ....tada -- I found no sodium baking powder and no sodium baking soda.

It is the type II diabetes that screws everything up. It makes for the neuropathy and for the heart attacks and strokes and every bad thing you can think of. They even told me that is why I did not even know I had such bad heart trouble -- that diabetics frequently have "silent" heart attacks and many times are asymptomatic until they just keel over.

Human body needs 50 mg sodium each day to maintain fluid balance and so kidneys, etc. work properly. One teaspoon salt has about 2300 mg. That is a whole lot more than the minimum that the body needs to work right.

I am sorry to be obsessing over food. When cooped up in the house like this, meals are the highlight of my day. Yes, I know that is pretty pathetic, but I'll be busting loose soon. Visit the cardiac surgeon next Wednesday, Jan 16. Hopefully after that I will be free to drive a bit and go for cardiac rehab. Maybe I'll take up tai chi or something like that.

Thanks for the help and advice you guys.

And Al, brother, you know I will never forget the scare. I was afraid if I went to sleep I might not wake up again. I was scared sh*$less. Not a pleasant way to spend 3 weeks. A word of warning from one who does not want anyone else to go through what I did. Please.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  04:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Hey Wanda as my husband says if he even starts to forget all he has to do is look at his zipper or feel the steel sutures RIGHT ? BUT thank GOD for what they can do. You will make it girl the diet gets to be a game after a while I get pissed off at times when prepered food is so out of reach diet wise and I gotta make most things at home from scratch but you can do it. My husband did not have any symptoms or family history before his either. Just went in cause his chest did not feel right ( and he is a Dr.) after chasing new puppy in the cold. They never let him out of bed after cath. 4 vessels 75 to 90 percent blocked and we were supposed to leave for Hawaii that weekend. That trip was a delayed by 6 months but we made it!
So glad to hear such high spirits in you posts with your attitude you will be the star in Cardiac Rehab! Thay will all wonder why is she here. Hey maybe you can teach them how to HULA! Would be good for them!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  10:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
E aloha no -

Try visiting www.KauKauKitchen.com. I'm trying to get more healthy variations of Hawaiian food in the site, and there is also an associated forum where we share recipes. Pre-contact Hawaiian foods are actually pretty healthful (though many are kind of boring to the modern tongue!)

Ho`i mai mea `ai!
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  10:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

It is the type II diabetes that screws everything up. It makes for the neuropathy and for the heart attacks and strokes and every bad thing you can think of. They even told me that is why I did not even know I had such bad heart trouble -- that diabetics frequently have "silent" heart attacks and many times are asymptomatic until they just keel over.

Yes, you are SO correct - My mother-in-law is diabetic and has had the heart attack and neuropathy. So. . . . we are VERY into cooking Hawaiian food healthfully!

Malama na kino!
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  12:55:43 PM  Show Profile
Leilehua - Your recipe for Mango Chicken sounds scrumptious. I am going to try it. I think it will be wonderfully flavorful without any salt.

Thanks for reminding me about the links on the Kau Kau Kitchen web site.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 01/08/2008 12:56:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000