Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 slack key anyone
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  2:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Actually we have been looking into this for some time. Formerly the problem was that Hawai'i required two weeks of hunter education to get a license, and few people have the time and patience. But my understanding is that the state legislature recently rassed a recipriocity law for hunting licenses, and so most licensed hunters can now hunt in Hawai'i.

Other than insurance, which is just a money problem, the only thing stopping us now is approval for a commercial use in the conservation district. We are working on a comprehensive management plan right now, and using hunting to bring in money for conservation as well as to manage the pigs is included in this plan. A Conservation District Use Permit is a slow process, but we are hoping that by next winter we will have this in place. Then it is just a matter of seeing if the market can support this type of venture- the remote location means a helicopter will be required for access, and helicopter time is quite expensive. We cannot use porters or stock as the only foot access is through a very fragile (and beautiful!) sphagnum bog forest- every person walking through leaves traces that last for years, and a trail of weeds from the seeds on their boots. It is a two day walk in any case, which is kind of far to be carrying pork.

Also the terrain is extremely rugged and it is easy to get lost, so a guide will be a requirement. Some hikers got lost up there a couple years ago and one of them died. People disappear every year in these mountains- the USGS maps are inaccurate, and in any case people don't understand what it means when fifty 40-foot contour lines join together into a solid line. A mile on the map can take days on the ground, even when you do know the terrain.

If people are willing to pay for a helicopter and a guide, then we are happy to allow them to hunt. Beyond that we could make the experience as deluxe or bare bones as the client desires. Hopefully this will come to fruition, because it is a shame to waste the meat and hopefully it could provide employment and pay for conservation.

Chris
(Check out the USGS Honokane quadrangle...)
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  12:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Howzit Bradah Ivan,

I dunno hows dis topic came up on your subject of slack key? but, anyways here we go.

To Mr. Chris, I gonna have to say that I disagree with you on the point that eradication is the only way. In fact to me itʻs the Lazy way. To me, You talking about getting rid of food here in Hawaiʻi that could feed hundreds if not thousands of people. Iʻve been to your so called fenced off areaʻs with my Kupuna to go and gather. Your fences keep out animals that have traveled many areaʻs for generations that have actually made access for us to use. Your quick fix fence keeps everything in the forest so thick, brah no can even walk through,let alone hunt. You talk to the old timers...rancherʻs as well as farmerʻs. They know because they are there saying the same thing. "Help us deal with the problem??", Cuz, gotta communicate. Here in Hawaiʻi we already have experts in place, our own hunterʻs, fishermans, gatherʻs etc.. People from all around the world understand that sometimes you gotta go back a little to move forward . Maybe some old , old style? MAybe some new. Get people, find people and they are out there, to teach us how to truly become stewards for game/wild life managerʻs for our ʻaina. Instead of bringing in the top HUNTERʻs from New Zealand, why not bring in the TOP HERDSMEN from around the world: sheep/goat herders and pig catchers/ cattle ranchers, etc.. (WHO DONʻT JUST KILL BUT TREAT THEIR WILD LIFE AS A NATURAL RESOURCE. A RESOURCE WHICH COULD PROVIDE JOBS) who understand how to deal with these problems on much larger scales than we have? Hawaii has access to all the experts. And if we donʻt have an expert yet? find um! I canʻt think of anyone who wouldnʻt want to came to Hawaiʻi to see What Beauty we have remaining to help of find better solutions to our many "mountainʻs" of issues. Yet, no one to take a stand about what the real problem is. Anyways, shouldnʻt we be asking all of the individual communities on their take about how their food sources are being depleted?? How about our people that would like to gather from the forest but No can...and why??? cause get fence!!! YOU KNOW HOW LONG PEOPLE BEEN FIGHTING FOR BEACH ACCESS??!
I grew up hunting here in Hawaii and Iʻm Hawaiian. But, I not only Hawaiian. I was brought up by many different cultureʻs...I have Japanese Ancestry that comes my Momʻs side. My great Grand Mother had a Phillipino boy friend who raised my Dadʻs PApa and my Dad. My Wifes side is Hawaiian, Japanese, Phillipino, Spanish. I have Tongan, Samoan, Scandanavian,Irish, German, as well as Haole cousins...All of which have traditions. I do, what I do to honor them and what they have taught me in life to survive here at MY HOME. And to do it the best, I possibly can. Just so happens that I love to hunt. I kill and eat my own food. Iʻm involved in agriculture. In fact, I do believe that anyone that eats food, is involved in agriculture.

I was onced asked "if I had a beautiful Ohia forest, would I bull doze it down?" I told them "only if it would help to feed my family." We not all perfect, but we can strive to do it better. Thats why we alive for one more day...to make ok, make better, to give hope.

And yes Auntie, i do use most of the carcus that i kill. I use most of the innerʻs(guts) and blood- influence phillipino, the head- spanish, the ribs-my paniolo side ,the hoofs/ earʻs and tails for puppy training and have used the skin for drum and also for body armor. To me each animal has itʻs own use. (FOR ME) PIgs for example: Boars-use for smoke meat or sausage, but depend on where you catch um? stink mauka mountain boar or boar from MAc nut field?? Old pig -Crock pot. young shoult- oven roast. Sowʻs- tag and release? Fat sow? sausage or kalua, Old sow-??? hapai sow??? Young Pigs- huli huli - tongan style: wean off 6-8 weeks rice and coconut fed, no clean(guts) no skin, cuz grind um all burn da hair off basted wit coconut milk and salt...eaten pink. To each there own.
i was also asked if i eat dog??? I did eat it and didnʻt know it was dog, and it was actually really good. So, is it un-Hawaiian to not eat dog? I do believe the Iʻlio was and still is one of mans best friends, but for what reasons back then?

Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  10:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Keoki, you are the Ted Nugent of Kihoalu (please take that as a compliment)

Lee
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  11:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Keoki-

It is true that feral ungulates create trails. And without question in areas where hunting is appropriate, it is useful to follow the trials of the animals you are hunting. But I have never found it that difficult to make my way through virgin forest- it is more in areas that have been trashed by feral animals already and there is no overstory that underbrush becomes a problem.

Perhaps eradication IS the lazy way- but land managers have been trying for a generation to get local hunters to deal with the problem, and it is just becoming worse every year. Incentive, access, free helicopter rides- nothing works. As pigs become more numerous, hunters don't have to go any further than their back yards- why would they want to walk two days to some remote stretch of forest where there are so many pigs competing for food that they are all scrawny? You yourself contrasted "stink mauka mountain boar" to mac nut fed boar- which is also easier to get.

You talk about traditional gathering, but how is this posible when pigs root up all the native plants? How much palapalai, maile, i'e i'e or whatever it is you are looking for is left? Do you think this is because everyone else has already taken it all? A million Hawaiians were using these materials every day and there was plenty before the European boar was released into the forest. Do you think a few halau or aunties doing traditional crafts are why these materials are disappearing? And it isn't just the few plants that we still use- the entire forest is being wiped out. Preserving Hawaiian culture is one of the primary reasons I am tying to protect the forest on our Ahupua'a. I have to ask, why were you and your kupuna going into the fenced area to gather? Because it is the only place left where the plants you desire can be found?

On our land the soil is quite thin on top of a white clay subsoil in the middle and mauka elevations. The pigs root around even huge old ohia and cut the roots, which are all in the top soil- then the trees fall. The forest line has retreated a full MILE down the mountain since 1977- it is unbelieveably sad to walk through what was once a majestic ohia forest and see nothing but rotted logs where the trees once were. As you walk down the mountain you go from treeless pigwhacked land where nothing is more than six feet tall and it looks like people have been driving around with rototillers day and night, to a zone of fallen logs and waiawi coming in, to a few scattered surviving trees, and finally to deep forest. But you won't find one hapu'u less than a hundred years old, any palapalai, anything native that isn't survivving from 100 years ago- everything that sprouts gets rooted up except waiawi, tibuchina, clidemia, melistoma, and the one exception- uluhe.

When perhaps a third of the land is rooted up, runoff carries away all the topsoil that could allow the forest to recover, and this soil suffocates the streams and the reef offshore. So the aquatic ecosystem is destroyed along with the native forest. No fish, no forest, no cultural activities- but hey, we've got plenty scrawny stink mauka boar!

Access complaints are not germaine to this debate, because the DLNR always clearly marks access points through their fences and makes it easy to get both people and dogs through. On private land there is going to be a fence anyway and "no trespassing" signs, even when it is not a pig exclosure. Except on our land, as we do not discourage access- in fact we spent months clearing the long lost ala kai across our property to make access easier for the public. I completely agree that our legal access has been blocked, mauka and makai, and we need to fight this- but this has nothing to do with the pig problem. Or didn't, until private ranchers on Kohala got so sick of hunters cutting their exclosure fences that they stopped allowing access- but that is a problem the hunters created for themselves.

I guess the difference between you and me is that if I had a beautiful ohia forest, (and I do!)I would die before I allowed it to be destroyed. I could log my land and do more than just feed my family, but instead I spend every penny I earn to protect it.

No one wants to pay to bring hunters half way around the world to protect their land, but having tried everything else they have run out of other options. Give me anything- anything I can do to solve the problem, and I will do it. If you and your friends want to come kill all the pigs you can and haul it out, you are welcome. But we ask, and no one comes...

When an exclosure fence is built, the first step is to try to drive all the pigs out of the fence- no one wants to have to shoot them. Public hunts often follow, and traps are set so people can get the pigs when it is practical. Only when no one is interested in hunting any more because it is too difficult do the eradication teams go in to try and finish the job.

The bottom line is that hoping that 5% of the native forest will be protected is a dream some of us have- and this is the most remote and inaccessable land on the islands. The other 95% plus will always be choked with pigs. Is the hunting community so selfish that they have to have 100% of the land for their pigs? Or is it reasonable that those (many of whom are also hunters)who want to protect the native forest and real Hawaiian culture (which hunting is not)be allowed to save a tiny part of the islands so native species have a chance to survive?
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  2:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
My take is that the animals have also helped to spread good seeds too. I once found a wallow where the pigs rolled a maile patch and saw thousands of Maile seedling sproating. Nature will naturally fill the void cause dat what nature does. Sure get all these band aid quick fixes. Iʻve seen Goat dropping and sheep dropping with Iliahi and Koa seeds growing out of the crap. Management is the key, too me..dey just not trying hard enough. I Know that pigs have become a problem, but most of it is because we moving into dea homes. Brah we had all kine trials over the past 30 years to get rid of pigs, dat was ass backwards. They (scientist, drʻs) introduce deasease to eradicate da animals and what??? now some are immune and pass those deseases on to Humans. COME ON!!! If dat is not stupid or what. What we really lacking is brain power here folks! I found areaʻs where the pigs/cattle wipe out plenty of dat pilau ferns with Ohia seedlings poking thru the ground. Most of these animals came from domestic lines that could be used to provide. I heard about a rare tomato that could not be propigated by hand. Finally the scientist observed that it was because a tortus ate the tomato and thats how the plant has survived. Nature is resilient... it has been trying to heal itself from us for centuries. Try read some olʻ Rudolf Steiner teaching and such... In Fact My great grand father and his nephews and neices practiced these methods unknowlingly with out being educated...THey fed ova 100 people in our S. Kona Village. All because he took the time to observe what nautre really wanted us to do. Brah, no moa dirt in Kona...yet he planted Kalo, Maia, Uala, Oranges, tangerines, Mangoʻs, papayas, etc..even won best fruit awards at the Honolulu State farm fairs. Everything that came onto his farm, especially cans, bottles, plastic, paper never left the farm. He neva make his opala everybody elses problem, he caught hundreds of wild pigs and used them to create soil by making all the kids climb the mango and kukui nut treeʻs(nautral Insecticide and nitrogen fixer) for defoliate and fill the enclosed stone walls with compost. Then he ran the pigs through and they turned it into dirt. Before dayʻs stone walls wasnʻt built only for land division, it was to keep things in or out. If people only focus on the bad, of course gonna look bad...but if we focus on the good and what can come out of it...just imagine? I not saying they arnʻt trying or that weʻre not concerned. Look What happen to Mauna Kea after the goat/sheep eradication. So much waste...and now look we gotta go hand-work GRouse Which was worse den da animals. Ova 45,000 animals destroyed with less than 2% used for food? ..and how many houseless(not home less, cuz de already home) and hungry we get here that could have received sustanance from it???? Hawaii used to be the main port of food and fresh water for sailors all around the world the world at one time and now you like us throw all dat away??? Really, who is more important? The People or the land??

Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  2:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
OH one moa thing...I do believe the main reason for Hunting Licsends is for Fire armʻs. On private land you donʻt need one to go wit dog and knife...just gotta ask the land ownerʻs.

Ps- we doing our best for help, just need to get the word out! Last year me and my 2 partners caught 362 pigs of all sizeʻs, call DLNR or USDA as they currently have programs to help with the feral animal population. Keoki
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  4:10:48 PM  Show Profile
A pig a day- good for you! Too bad there aren't thousands more like you- then we wouldn't have this problem.

Maile seed kind of big- couldn't even fit thousands of seeds in a wallow, let alone have a pig carry them. Those thousands of sprouts were no doubt waiawi, looks like little maile. And nothing eats gorse- but it spreads into bare land opened by stock. That tomato was germinated by a native species it depended on- a species being wiped out by introduced animals, so it was a terrible example to make your point! No one has brought any animal diseases here, but frankly it is a good idea- a little hoof and mouth would do wonders for the islands! Or else some predators- those Hawaiians who tried to bring mountain lions to Kaho'olawe were right on.

Arguing that feral livestock helps the forest is a lost cause- animals came, forest went. Simple as that. And the land IS more important than people- without the ecosystems that support us we won't survive. We depend on a delicate balance for our niche on this planet. Life will go on, but we may not. Abuse the earth too much, and she will reject us. This planet is not here for man, we just live here. Taking care of this wealth of biological richness is not just a nice idea- our lives depend on it.

We're working with the DLNR- they say fence and snare, will pay two thirds. USFWS helping too. I do wish there was a way to get the meat to those who need it. I have a vegetarian friend who loves to hunt down in Puna. He can't give it all away even though he hunts right by the road, not two days walk into the mountain. But I certainly appreciate the fact that my parents always have all the pork they can eat! Too old to hunt themselves, and social security isn't enough to feed them because it is based on wages they earned when a dollar was a lot of money. So I do understand the issues here.

Keoki, if you need lo'i talk to my son Kala- I turned the farm over to him. I don't think he has much planted. Jim can show/tell you how to get there- back behind Kia's by the river. Kala might welcome someone to help keep things up- I don't know. At least you could fill up on exotic fruit! When I left it was all planted, top to bottom- but it takes a while to understand the value of clear lo'i- so much easier to weed than to open one up. Personally I like to see them planted. One thing, though- no poison. There is plenty of weedmat but I'll bet it is all buried now...

Chris

Edited by - ypochris on 03/03/2008 4:25:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  12:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
Aloha Chris! There are many hunterʻs that havenʻt been given the opportunities to hunt here on the Big Island for many reasonʻs. Land ownerʻs no like you kill ʻum, liability reasonʻs, other huntaʻs in the area no like you dea, Iʻve been back to Hilo, Hawaii now for 4 1/2 years and Iʻve seen only maybe less than a half dozen articles announcing such huntʻs, then many areaʻs become seasonal- lock out!, but pigs still there. Look Iʻm not saying that what the pigs are doing to the forest is good, but if we could take it to a whole other level by using the pigs that are there, catch and confine pigs in areas to be cleared (if needed) and use them for what they do best?! clearing and digging. I would much rather have pigs tilling under my treeʻs airating the soil mo betta than going in wit one tractor or iseiki tilla smelling diesel all day . I have a pen in Upper Hilo (sorry no details-cuz get rippaʻs!) that I caught and fed for about 1 year. Started with 6 pigs in dis pasture 4-1/2 acre penʻs: feed, feed, move and rotate. feed, feed, move and rotate. My pigs was so happy being pigs! Plus too, all the pigs from the area come visit dea friends and dey so hungry i had 12 pigs jump and climb into da pen to get to da food inside wit dea friends. By the end of the year that pen had ova 130 pigs caught just from dat area and all da hunterʻs up dea couldnʻt understand how come all of a sudden all the pigs stay down makai??? dey looking for da food and gonna look for da easiest way to get um! So as I gave away my pigs to people, infact I neva have enough during grad and thanksgiving, christmas..but anyways.. All the pig gone, nothing but dirt, pig sh*t and wata from akua and everything was growing...stuffs i fed them from island naturals and coconut grill...chinese peas, cucumber and lilkoi on da fence. tormatilloʻs that i picked for 3 months and sold back to da restaurants, pak choi, green onions, zucchini, eggplants yellow kine and purple, bell peppers chilli pepers, sugar cane, papayaʻs, cabacho squash even some ipuʻs came up. All the pilau sleeping grass(introdued as cattle feed) and uluhi gone, I planted not one seed by hand. Harvested for 4 months and transplanted all kine seedlings including hard to grow heirloom tomatos which are still going from cutting after 2 years from pig sh*t in my friend green house! I may know your vegetarian friend from Puna whoʻs a hunter whoʻs parents run one krishna temple...he is one good hunter! But does he kill all? or lahole and release small animals? AND as far as i can tell...about 300 of deez seedlings from dat wallow still growing on my ohia lehua and lama treeʻs in Panaewa... looksʻ like, hmmm smell like, peels like maile lauliʻi. maybe I could be wrong? but the ag specialist from UH AG extension services also said was maile. And the Iliahi collected from da goat dodo, braddah- 4feet 2inches tall?!? I guess no can den huh? AND sheep and Goats will eat or atleast debark some gorse but would much rather prefer other food. Brah the sugar cane plantations and wild cattle population did more damage dan da pigs would eva do. Atleast da pigs no leave behind paraquart in our soil, or even all the waste engine oil from all da vehicles dat neva take dea oil to one recycling center back den. where went? Hello its still there!?! pigs no leave the soil behind all polluted. Now you know what da HAmakua run offs was like back den does days right? wit all da cane trucks on the road? Not to mention all da other pesticides. DAMN pigs crapping and digging up my yard--- as opposed to damn neighbor dumping his car and trash and bushes and rocks and barrels in my yard! so, ok which is really more worse? ANd as far as Human versus nature, well I gonna have to take human side first, cause I dunno about you, but I was put here on dis earth by Akua, nutured by humans who cared for me first and then, cared for the land second so we could live; Iʻm here to learn to love my neighbor(not da stupid tings dey do!) Brah the beauty of Nature is nothing compared to the beauty of ʻOhana and the people within it hanaiʻd, blood related or not! Then and only then, when we can come together (take da eyeʻs off da Me and more on da "WE") to solve natureʻs problems, that of course is where all da troubles started for us in da first place. I bet if you had some ʻohana of hunters dat really ʻolu ʻolu you brah all does pigs in your yard would be in da smoke house already!

Edited by - Keoki Kahumoku on 03/04/2008 01:17:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  03:02:32 AM  Show Profile
All anyone in any culture, no matter where in the world, all they really want is to have a full belly and a roof over their heads. How that gets accomplished can vary greatly. But that is the bottom line. Next thing is to figure how to do it with the last impact. Seems to me the obvious thing is to be as sustainable as possible. Stuff gonna run out some day. If cut down trees and no plant more. If plant the soil and take out nutrients and never have anything to put nutrients back in.

There are many ways to plant, hunt, grow without poisoning the earth.

Try read a whole series of books called "Foxfire". These teach old ways from in the mountains and hollers from the mainland south. All us hillbillies. These books teach the ways we have done stuff for hundreds of years.

What Keoki and Chris are talking about is no different than the issues that face the mountain folks here on the mainland. Poor, hard-working people trying to fill their bellies and keep the rain off their heads. Trying to make the things they need. Trying to be self-sufficient, without relying on modern technology.

It is hard work. Very hard work. Keoki - I do not know when you have time to play `ukulele or guitar, more or less teach it to other folks and play gigs. And when do you get one moment to sit down under a tree and relax? I hope you take some relax time. You make me (I one old lady) tired just reading about all the stuff you do.

You and Chris have the same ultimate goal in mind, just your methods of getting there are a bit different. You've got more in common than you think.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  04:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, I think Keoki and I both know we are on the same track- both love the land, both love to farm taro, both love to hunt and gather. This is a friendly conversation about a very divisive topic on the islands- usually the conversation ends with hunters and landowners wanting to kill each other, not wanting to farm together.

Keoki, I am amazed about the maile- maile seeds are about half an inch long and very bitter so I don't see how the pigs could have brought thousands to that spot. I am curious as to what you are growing your iliahi on- if it doesn't have a host it generally grows a couple feet, then dies. And I totally agree that the cane company and cattle have done far more damage than the pigs, but I can only do what I can on my own land to try and save what is left, and there the pigs are the problem.

Baiting a pen is a great way to trap pigs- the best, but you have to have access to bring the feed and take out the pigs. And captive pigs are indeed useful for clearing a garden plot- clearing and tilling is what they do best, that is why they are a problem! The Nature Consevancy uses this method where they have road access, and allow people to take the pigs. They use mac nuts for bait, at least where I saw it; they are next to the nut farms and the pigs eat a lot of nuts so the mac nut farmers are happy to contribute bait as it solves a huge problem for them. If I could dive anywhere near my land this would be the method I would use.

You got the right guy on my Puna vegetarian hunter friend. One of only two vegetatian hunters I know. Armored rottweilers and a bow most of the time, or at least that's how he used to hunt. All I know is that he is still keeping my parents fed.

Again, the botom line is no one wants to wipe the pigs off the island- the idea is to just protect a tiny percentage of very remote land. There will always be plenty of pigs- access to hunt them is more the problem. What we should be doing is fighting for our constitutional right to access mauka and makai, instead of fighting over eradication in tiny remote spots where few hunt anyway. Only the National Park has a serious chunk of accessable land where eradiation has taken place, and they won't let you hunt there anyway. If a tiny part of the energy that has gone into fighting pig exclusion had been put into access, it would have done us hunters (and everyone else!) a lot more good...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  06:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
"Keoki, I am amazed about the maile- maile seeds are about half an inch long and very bitter so I don't see how the pigs could have brought thousands to that spot. I am curious as to what you are growing your iliahi on- if it doesn't have a host it generally grows a couple feet, then dies. And I totally agree that the cane company and cattle have done far more damage than the pigs, but I can only do what I can on my own land to try and save what is left, and there the pigs are the problem."

Yes, the seed are bitter(cause i tried it), but i think they just happened to roll some old vines down where they were and there was seeds falling off the vines tangled above. The seed all just fell into the mud there and started sprouting. The vines up above appeared to be stressed from the lower root system being dug up, thus i believed forced the plant into flowering? dats my guess or observation. I no think they always eat um, but you neva no pigs? I seen um gobble up dead cattle in the field..also thesheep and goats gotta watch out for da pigs because they seemed to have aquired the taste of fresh birthed young. I even found kukui nutʻs in da opu..supa bitter raw and ho da stink, but the pigs still eat um?! Correct on the Iliahi! you gotta plant um next to itʻs ʻohana- da Ohia lehua and da lama, etc.. I wanted sandle wood, so I went out to see where he grow...any guess what i saw??? You know itʻs also visa versa wit da koa seedlings too.. I seen guyʻs plant thousands of Koa in the Open Field..not too many survive.. it not da wata, get plenty, itʻs not the soil same as where dey got the seeds? the difference is they got the seeds from da forrest where had all dea cousins growing wit them...das how for do um. If we like save places, fence small parcels for the seed stock to take ova, den maybe expand your fences out wider. i know das a long shot but hey, wouldnʻt that save alot of time any money?

I was told by someone who worked at the Univerity of Hawaiʻi AG dept. that it was possible that there were experimental trials to cull feral game. brought in Brucelosis to Hawaii or Sudo-rabies? was it to try to cull the feral pig population back in the late 60ʻs early 70ʻs. It worked for awhile till dogs( got sudo) stared dying off from just nose to nose contact, especially in Kohala, Waimea, Kona Areaʻs. . There have been several cases of Human contracting Brucelosis which causes paralyisis and even death to humans. Call the State Vet- Dr. Moniz. from Paauilo. His friend when get um and when almost die! Famous hunter from where? I forget? You donʻt even want to go there with foot and mouth, What if somebody did that just for wipe out humanʻs? SCARY!!!!

Access is another key element to this growing problem. But then again, I wouldnʻt want people running around my place chasing pigs like a bunch of idiot trigger happy loloʻs. I seen some so called "hunters "shoot there own dog! In fact i heard of atleast 10 stories about those kinds of incidents. You remember Maui?? poor ting da boy when shoot his fada wit his bow by mistake? Killed his own dad! Thats why we gotta follow through with the education...not just give people hunting licsends and send them on there way, they should be required to hunt with an experienced guide to help them through the whole process from tracking to cleaning and preparing the meat for consumption.

Anyways, i stay brain fried right now and gotta go take care my pups.
Aloha ke Akua,
Keoki

Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  06:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
eh chris! we betta start up one other forum. Poor ting Ivan? sorry eh cuz! EH I LIKE SLACK KEY TOOKK
IVAN WHEN YOU GON COM STAY VISIT AGAIN CUZ?
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  5:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Kukui taste ono! Better than mac nuts. Eat too many and it will be coming out both ends, though! Some trees can only eat one, others not so strong and can eat several. Grind em, roast em, and squeeze out the oil and you get inamona- throw it on some poke with limu and salt- Oh! Kukui is the main food of the pigs in Waimanu, etc.- along with Job's tears and earthworms. Can eat those too, but gritty. Don't know how to help the Job's tears, but you just have to feed the worms bran or clean them first. Grind em up and your friends will think it is hamburger.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

shakabrah
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  12:30:46 PM  Show Profile
Keoki

I don't know when? But I hungry right now 4 some Kalua Pig
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2008 :  07:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
whoa braddah shaka! I know da feeling...steaming from da imu wit da skin/fat all crispy and meat falling off da bone! We get dis Friday! Pahala Plantation House. Free concert! sorry cuz gotta buy da plate lunch! Mahalo nui! eh to all you vegetarians? Give meat a chance!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000