Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 TaroPatch.net CD PLAYLIST
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  8:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Raymond, I made a bunch of changes and cleaned up some stuff including fixing a few okinas. (Someone who speaks the language should probably verify all the Hawaiian is correct!) Here's the list with my corrections to save you the time...I'll modify this post and delete the list after you update yours:

A. Andy Wang: Double Slack Swing (Original)
B. Keith Marzullo: Lahainaluna (Kui Lee)
C. Russell Letson: Morning Dew (Eddie Kamae and Larry Kimura)
D. Lawrence Bryant: Moe `Uhane (Sonny Chillingworth)
E. Hideki Hattori: Kalena Kai (Charles E. King)
F. John W. Nelson: Wai Ulu (Lala Mahelona & George Kalelohi, Sr.)
G. Breeze Please: Aloha `Oe/Isa Lei, (Queen Lili`uokalani/Traditional)
H. Leo Kahilliwa: Queen's Jubilee (Queen Lili`uokalani)
I. Craig Patchett: Kani Ki Ho`alu (Ozzie Kotani)
J. Cynthia Bryant: Kaulana `O Hilo Hanakahi (Lena Machado)
K. Don Narup: Don's Mele (Original)
L. Sarah Whitaker: Auwe! (Ray Kane)
M. Gary Anwyl: Mino`aka (Keola Beamer)
N. Stacey Moore: Mauna Loa (Helen Parker)
O. R.J. Stovich: Ku`u Lei `Awapuhi (Emily Taylor)
P. Ross: Nanea Kou Maka I Ka Le`ale`a/Salomila (King David Kalakaua/Traditional)
Q. Lee Thovson: Mauna Loa (Helen Parker)
R. Dusty Foster: Hula Medley (Traditional)
S. Fran Guidry: Saimin Slack Key `Ekahi (Original)
T. George Kahumoku, Jr: Ku Lana Kila (Original)
U. Indy: Slack Key Lullaby (Led Ka`apana)
V. Cmdr. Piffle: He Mele A Kahi Haole I Kaleponi (Original)

Extras:
W. Cynthia and Lawrence Bryant: Ku`u Lei `Awapuhi (Emily Taylor)
X. SF's Na Leo Nahenahe Chorus: Moloka`i Nui A Hina (Traditional)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/21/2003 01:14:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  8:29:38 PM  Show Profile
I am only moderately good in Hawaiian, but I know that "Queen Liliokalani" should be: Queen Lili`uokalani. Sarah should or somebody else should go over it as I think there are a few `okinas missing (We won't talk about kahakös ;-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  9:40:12 PM  Show Profile
Sarah sez: ( I am logged on but she is looking this over)

Queens' Jubilee s/b: Queen's Jubilee
Kaulana O Hilo Hanakahi s/b: Kaulana `O Hilo Hanakahi
Ku`u Lei Awapuhi s/b: Ku`u Lei`Awapuhi (it is OK lower down in Larry and Cynthia's piece.)
Saimin Slack Key Ekahi s/b: Saimin Slack Key `Ekahi

Check with Cmdr. Piffle about what he wanted the title to mean. The O E is not clear to Sarah as a Hawaiian construction, nor is Ka Liponia.

OR: Cmdr, sir, just tell us and Sarah will translate. She guesses that you want to say "A Song by a Haole in California, in which case it would be: "He Mele a kahi haole i Kaleponi", lit. "A Song by one (a) Haole in California".

...Us in CT
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  9:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Oh, CPatch, could you change the name on the S.F. Nahenahe Chorus to SF's Na Leo Nahenahe Chorus?

thanks,
Ross
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  10:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
I can't make corrections to your posting. Can you either take over and keep the corrections current, or email your list to me and I'll take it from there. I use letters because it's easier to set up the CD, don't have to worry about where 11, 12, etc go.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  11:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Sarah and Reid,

Yes, you would be correct as to the meaning of my piece.
It was actually suggested by Marzullo, and I went with the
title after reading the suggestions.
My apologies for the mistakes, I simply do not know the language.

Craig, you getting all this?! Please change the title to what Sarah and Reid suggest a few posts above this one, okeydokey

Mahalo, and thankyou for shopping Lihue K Mart.

with my laptop continuing to mock me..

I am,
o

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  12:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
yes, mike's hawaiian mistakes are indeed mine (i'm studying the language, but have a long ways to go, and the title i wrote was a joke).

to whomever, despite what huapala says, the more common name for my entry is written as one word, "Lahainaluna", not "Lahaina luna" (which may be more correct, but you'd have to ask sarah).

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  12:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, all changes incorporated as of this post. Raymond, I'm more than happy to take it over if you want, although that wasn't my original intention. If you prefer to maintain it you should be able to copy and paste in your browser. If not, let me know and I'll email it to you.

Keith, a quick search on the Web showed Lahainaluna for the place name but Lahaina Luna for the song title, which is why I changed it originally.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 02/20/2003 12:14:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  2:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
craig, in fact all of the newspaper articles i found about kui lee, and george kahumoku's biography, call the song "lahainaluna". this doesn't address the real question - what did kui lee use? - but in the absence of any other information, i would guess the song is about the place and so should be spelled the same way.

academically (and probably insufferably),
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  2:49:55 PM  Show Profile
Craig, I know transcription in Hawaiian is hard, but Lili`uokalani is still misspelled.

You can just copy and paste what I just typed. Her name is probably the most sensitive, culturally, in the playlist.

Thanks for doing this guys, I know it must be a pain.

Keith and Cmdr: No pilikia about the made-up title; we just wanted to help you out.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  3:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
If you can keep your posting updated in this thread, once people are satisfied that what is posted is as good as we can reasonably get, I'll copy it and take it from there. If you don't want to do this, let me know, I'll copy it, cut it in place of my initial list and follow it from that point
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  7:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Reid and Marzullo,

Absolutely no offense intended or recieved, after I read Marzullo's suggestion, I thought it was funny as hell, and true. I love it! Thanks for fine tuning it.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  10:56:11 PM  Show Profile
DUSTY (Craig)
I need the mailing address for you (Dusty) to send CD
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  01:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Craig, I know transcription in Hawaiian is hard, but Lili`uokalani is still misspelled.
Sorry, I should know better...I was rushing the changes this morning. Fixed now (hopefully)!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  4:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Raymond,

I emailed you my address.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page