Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The Joys of Slack Key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  06:40:33 AM  Show Profile
Sounds good to me Claudia. You don't even neeed to bring a guitar, you can use one of mine

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  06:45:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the Mark Nelson recommendation Graham, I'll check his website.

bigeedjit

Edited by - pifarrell on 04/27/2008 01:02:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  7:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
Kī Hōʻalu really is one of the greatest guitar styles in the world. Because it has been hidden for so long and has just recently come out in the past half-century or so, it is still developing and getting known, even within Hawaiʻi let alone outside. Other styles like flamenco and jazz have been played for a century or more and have been widely publicized since the start. I think in a few more decades slack key will be a favorite music of people worldwide.

E mālama pono a e hoʻomaha ma ka maluhia o ke Akua,

Matt
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  08:20:48 AM  Show Profile
Some advice to those new to slack-key...
get a much bigger music storage area...
We are blessed with a google of materials--unlike a generation ago....
it has exploded!

Much like our Boulder Bookstore which moved to a bigger store a few years ago--they had to--the self-help section got too big...
The taropatch and slack-key worlds are my self-help section!
Make it really big!
Maybe we should start a contractors forum!
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  9:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
Aloha Peter,

I too got really into slack key as the result of a whacked body. I was having heart problems (electrical-too much stress, too little sleep) and was sidelined big time. While recouping, I began playing (& got better at relaxing too!).
Welcome to Taropatch
Doug Fitch

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  12:54:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Doug. I have to say that I've gotten better at relaxing since I started listening to and playing slack key, I just let the music wash over me. I love the singing as well, such richness in the voices, obviously I don't understand the lyrics but that really doesn't stop me from enjoying the songs(I don't understand Gaelic but I used to sing a couple of Gaelic songs).
A major factor for me is that it's one of the very few musical genres which began with the guitar.

bigeedjit

Edited by - pifarrell on 04/27/2008 12:58:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  10:15:30 PM  Show Profile
neva' mind

Edited by - basilking on 05/02/2008 11:47:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  10:51:09 PM  Show Profile
basilking, I have to apologise but I didn't understand your post.

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  11:50:17 AM  Show Profile
" ... My Son and my younger Daughter, both excellent guitarists and complete Metalheads with their own band and who have defined traditional music as “gay” ... " It was late at night when I posted, may have reacted hastily to what I perceived as gender-orientation foolishness from your offspring. Music is ideally a unifier, shall leave it there and apologise as well.
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  8:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Ah, I get it now. In the UK among the younger generation the word "gay" has several meanings.
No apology necessary.

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Kawika (Hwn. for Peter)! Hey no worries, I used to be one of them myself back in the day! In the early 60's, I played the ukulele alot with friends during every morning and lunch recesses. Then in 1968 while still in Grade School, I played in my first band as a drummer!

Talk about a change huh? I was the youngest in the group! We played various types of rock and roll hits from Bands such as Blind Faith, Cream just to name a few. And my favorite... IRON BUTTERFLY! It was that drum solo that I really got into. Making it even longer so that the guys could go take a nice long break.

I totally blitzed-out with my longer drum solo. Oh yeah! I can't forget Jimi Hendrix's music, all of them. Today...it's all about "Kiho'alu" and my ukulele. WELCOME KAWIKA! (Peter) A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Maui, Hawaii
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  07:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey Slack Key Bill - Inagaddadavida???

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  12:27:14 AM  Show Profile
Eh , how'zit Wanda! You know that! Yup! 'Das da one!Those were the really fun times back in the day. Every weekend there was a public dance (heavy-metal ballroom style ha! ha!). Not only that, but also the "BATTLE OF THE BANDS" competitions, private parties, highschool invites, and last but not least, performances at the shopping centers.

When Kawika (Peter) mentioned his Daughter and Son having their own Band, I could relate. It's funny tho...the very first instrument I learned how to play, was the ukulele. Mom taught me one song using the basic chords. It was My Yellow Ginger Lei, and by the time I got to the 4th grade, I developed my own style...but yet keeping it sweet and slow.

But yeah! I was a Metal Head too! What a transition huh? I am so very greatful for my abilities I have to play them...I'm no pro, but! It truly relaxes me and gives me pure joy. "Hey Wanda...Wanna Jam?" Take care!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000