Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 guitar help for oldie
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  6:24:44 PM  Show Profile
I`v been playing a 714 taylor for a number of years & as I get older[70s] I find I`am using a capo a lot to make the playing a little easer on the elbo etc,I think I`d like to go to a short scale guitar, a lot of older players seem to be heading that way, martin 0018v was one, I`d like to hear from fellow slackers & weigh your option, thank you Chip

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  09:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi Chip -

Even though I own and play a 414 Taylor, I'm real partial to smaller guitars. I love the old time sound and feel of turn-of-the Century (err, 19th, that is) "Parlor" guitars for slack key. If you look at old Hawaiian photos, like the ones in Ozzie's book, those are the guitars every one is playing.

And lots of contemporary players play guitars smaller than dreads and jumbos. 0018s remain popular-- in fact, Martin's killer "vintage" 0018 reissue sounds almost as good as the old ones!

The bottom line is to find a guitar that you love and that you will play. And remember, 70 ain't old if yer a tree.

Good luck!

Mark

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile
You could have a luthier move the nut up one fret toward the bridge and relocate the fret markers/dots. Steve Gillette had this done to his guitar. Acoustic Guitar magazine had an article about this last August.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  7:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Mark, I`ll try one of those Martins, their 15s is a nice sounding axe, its going to be really hard to give up the taylor, thanks again, have enjoyed your instruction books still playing through them. Chip
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  7:38:02 PM  Show Profile
I read that to Dusty, & have been giving it some serious thought, Iwas wondering if, dropping down half a tone & capo the first fret, would the tone be the same, as if done propertly, Ijust had a thought I could e - mail that guy, or A.g. Once again thank you. Chip
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  03:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chip

I read that to Dusty, & have been giving it some serious thought, Iwas wondering if, dropping down half a tone & capo the first fret, would the tone be the same, as if done propertly, Ijust had a thought I could e - mail that guy, or A.g. Once again thank you. Chip

If you sight with fretboard markers I'd suggest dropping your 714 to F and using a capo on II. That keeps the markers somewhat more consistent with the way they look w/o the capo. It also puts you into the feel of a 12 fret. I've tried capo I and the 13 fret experience just doesn't work for me. (YMMV)

The 714 is built for light gauge strings -- if you do this I expect you can switch up to mediums and continue to get similar tone.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  3:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Then again, shopping for a new guitar is one of lifes great pleasures. Maybe you shouldn't deny yourself one little indulgence.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  5:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
I'm in my mid sixties and play slack key on a Taylor 714ce. I would be horrified to find that age would force me to another guitar, even if sweet baby Martins were in the wings. Exactly what is the problem? Could it have nothing to do with age? Is the main problem barres, or is it just overall trouble with the width of the frets? Have you thought of doing exercises and or changing your technique? When I was first starting out about 8 years ago, I got hand and elbow pain especially from barres, but I have learned to be more accurate in finger placement and to use a lighter touch. Now I am very comfortable and have no trouble at all. I am planning to play into my hundreds this way.

At George Kahumoku's camp George likes to play his 12 in F, so a lot of campers tune to F, and then capo up two frets when they want to play in G. But I find that this means that the tone is not quite so good since light strings are too floppy. Trouble is that when I move to medium strings to solve that problem, I am less comfortable. The whole experience is colder and harder somehow, just not as laid back.

I also enjoy playing songs I ordinarily do with the capo at the 2nd 4th and even 5th frets, with the guitar tuned normally in the key of G. It is a nice tonal variation, and the 714ce just loves the higher registers. And to top it off it is easier to play. A little practice with the new fretboard markers is good mental exercise, and it is soon natural. So when playing alone why ever tune down to F? Also why not just always play in A or B?

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  01:41:43 AM  Show Profile
I am 57 and have had problems with string tension since starting slack key 2 1/2 yrs ago. I have one guitar that plays "stiff", probably because of the scale length. Its like I am aware of the wire creasing my fingers when I play it. On a bad day I equate it to playing a cheeze cutter. Because of that, I have been avoiding songs that rough up my fingers. Puka Pants is one that I quit playing.

I think most of the tension problems are within the fist few frets on most guitars. The way I see it, capo's make playing easier because the action is lowered and not necessarily because of the shorter fret spacing.
I wonder why the action at the nut is so high in comparrison to what happens when you put a capo at fret 1 or 2?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  8:09:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your comments,I havn`t been playing long [10 years]& started with slack key, when uncle Raymond,[May he Rest in Peace] was here on Vancover Is.I loved the music & playing. The last year or so I have been trying quite a bit of[standed tuneing]blues etc.& find it quite hard,chording etc. finger picking, as we do in slack,So I`am going to take all of your advices,ie slacken strings & capo up to the 2nd fret, pay attention to proper fingering,& look around & try, a good old used 00 size axe, like Mark, I keep being drawn, to those small guitars. Thanks again. Chip
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  05:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I love small guitars too, and I fondly remember a 12 fret cutaway that seemed to bring the nut and first position right to me, instead of my having to stretch _way_ _out_ _there_.

For standard tuning stuff, especially blues, the Larrivee Parlor with its small body, 12 fret geometry, and 24" scale can be quite therapeutic. It has an "old fashioned bluesy" tone, too. I used one extensively for a few years, and found that I had to manage my right hand carefully in slack tunings but still found the little guitar quite enjoyable.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  1:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Bob, if the action is significantly lower with the capo on, you may want to have the nut lowered. The action is usually lowered at the nut before the bridge. Consult a good repairman for advise. This isn't a real dificult job, but it can make a lot of diference.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  03:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Bob, if the action is significantly lower with the capo on, you may want to have the nut lowered. The action is usually lowered at the nut before the bridge. Consult a good repairman for advise. This isn't a real dificult job, but it can make a lot of diference.
Paul

Before taking a 714 to a repair guy ...

http://taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/truss_rod_adjustment.pdf

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  07:56:32 AM  Show Profile
The purpose of the truss rod is to keep the neck straight, and adjust straightness to compensate for any warpage of the neck or compensate for a change in string gauges. The action, or string height above the fretboard is not adjusted with the truss rod. A luthier would check that the truss rod is properly adjusted when making any neck adjustments. A truss rod set too loose would cause the neck to bow(like an archer's bow), and would make the strings high above the middle frets. This difference is much less apparent at the first few frets from the nut. A truss rod set too tight would cause the opposite problem; the strings would be very close to the middle frets, and higher at the end frets.
New guitars are normally shipped with the nut and saddle left a little high. This allows for adjustment to suit the player's individual style. A bottleneck blues guitarist would probably want the higher action. Compare the action on a steel guitar to a standard guitar.The strings are very high on a steel. And the frets are painted on or inlaid flush with the neck. You aren't expected to press the strings against the fretboard, just lightly touch the steel to the strings.
But, before you go adjusting the truss rod, be aware that over tightening the rod can strip the threads from either the rod or the adjustment nut, or possibly break the rod. Any luthier can tell you of repairing such instruments. That's why I sugested having a luthier look at the guitar first. I try not to make more work for experts I have to pay.Some of you have probably done some of these adjustments that I shy away from. I have two of my own mistakes sitting here waiting for me to take the instruments to a luthier to remove my oopses. The technical term for this is "Getting In Over Your Head." Don't do as I did, do as I say. For those of you who are ept, drive on.
Paul

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  2:03:13 PM  Show Profile
I used to use a capo all the time on my D-18 til a friend pointed out the "wow" in the neck. Into the shop it went for a fret job and a neck reset. Spendy, but worth it. How can you put a price on an appendage?

Edited by - thumbstruck on 03/30/2008 2:04:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

KenS
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chip

I`v been playing a 714 taylor for a number of years & as I get older[70s] I find I`am using a capo a lot to make the playing a little easer on the elbo etc,I think I`d like to go to a short scale guitar, a lot of older players seem to be heading that way, martin 0018v was one, I`d like to hear from fellow slackers & weigh your option, thank you Chip

Popping in from lurkdom - I am a big fan of the 00-18V. Of all the guitars I've sold, this is one of two that I would like back. They are relatively quiet guitars, but they have a beautiful tone and a great neck (assuming you like the modified V which I do). I think it's a great choice in a small-bodied, short scale instrument.

Ken
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000