Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Kona Coffee Video Censored !!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  03:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
It seems as if a video that was made to explain to the rest of the world what most of us already know That KONA Coffee is only Kona COFFEE when it is 100% is being censored and yanked from distribution. It seems that some coffee blenders did not like the video and contacted lawmakers who asked the Dept. of Agriculture to yank it. Or, as the reported in West Hawaii Today by Nancy Lauer titled "Distribution of state-funded Kona coffee video stopped", . The D.O.A. is claiming ownership of the videos and is asking that they all be returned.
If you would like to see the video as made here it is on youtube.
Sure am glad my suitcase was full of Kona Coffee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-lKZb64l4

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:00:40 AM  Show Profile
Why the surprise? History shows that when the wallet is involved, actions (good or bad) are taken.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Since we stayed at a small coffee farm in Captain Cook a year and a half ago, I have been unable to drink any other coffee, except for 100% Kona. I get shipments on a semi regular basis direct from the farm that grows it. www.killino.com Great coffee and great people involved in growing it. I think of them, and the Big Island, every morning as I grind my beans.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 03/21/2008 05:03:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
not suprise just disapointment. I guess I still try to live to much in fantasy land where people just do the right thing not ALWAYS the profitable thing. I am much happier here anyway sometimes I forget and get shocked back to reality. Ahh well someday we will find will another little piece of land to hide on :-)I do not always like reality.
Time for another cup O' Coffee ?

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Here's a link to the article in West Hawaii Today:
http://westhawaiitoday.com/articles/2008/03/19/local/local07.txt

What I don't understand is how the DOA can claim "ownership" of all the DVDs when its grant was only the "matching" part of the funding. At worst case, I'd think they'd only get half of 'em...IOW, the half it matched. The DOA has already said it is "shielded" from liability because it didn't "exercise contro"l over the DVD's content--methinks they only want the DVDs back to keep the complainers happy in hopes this DVD and its message will disappear entirely.

As a frequent visitor to the Island of Hawaii I know what to look for to get 100% Kona coffee, but I'll bet some well-intentioned visitors don't and they end up buying what they *think* is "real" Kona coffee and then they wonder what the big deal is about Kona coffee because it didn't seem so great to them. I think the blenders just got their dander up because the video was explicit about what to look for to get 100% Kona coffee.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  05:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Kona blend is a joke- 2% Kona and 98% the cheapest coffee they can find- total junk.

Personally I prefer Hamakua coffee- the original Hawaiian coffee. But it doesn't have the name or distribution of Kona coffee.

Actually my favotite is from the liberica species that grows wild around Waipi'o- I like it better than the arabica. We used to gather about 50 pounds a year and have it professionally roasted and packaged- great gifts if you can bring yourself to spare some! My secret to being able to pick 35 pounds of luau leaf an hour...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  07:17:53 AM  Show Profile
We buy Maui coffee, get it sent to us on a regular basis, automaticlly like. No worries, every two months, here it is. We buy whole bean. Paul's coffee maker grinds, then brews the beans. His philosophy is "Life's too short to drink bad coffee".

Does anyone know about the teas? Is any tea grown in Hawai`i, or is it just blended or flavored or whatever in Hawai`i?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  08:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
We have had GREAT coffee on almost all of the Islands the trick seems to be tasting what you want to buy. And meeting great people while doing it. Guess that is why I am so adicted to Farmers amrkets you never know what you will find there. We brought home Hamakua coffee this year Long Ears brand. And I bought some on Moloka'i but that disappeared while we were in Hawai'i. We drank Kaua'i Coffe for years but now love to try different growers. We are very fond of Fikes Coffee Kona side. Now if I just had some great fruit to go along with the coffee but not everthing travels well.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  09:54:52 AM  Show Profile
My friends in Ahualoa grow Long Ears- they bought the adjacent property where my daughter was living and while they were very nice and let them continue living there for a long time, they eventually kicked them out so they could use the house for farm help. All my daughter's horses stepping on the young trees also might have contributed...

I have a tea plant on my Waipi'o land but it is not happy at that elevation. It grows wild in Waimea/Kamuela at about 3500 feet- one friend spent weeks cutting down bushes on the edge of a gulch that the owners felt were blocking their view. I have heard talk of growing tea commercially in Hawai'i but it is very labor intensive and so I doubt it would be economical- although you might be able to get enough of a premium to make it worthwhile...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  11:41:46 AM  Show Profile
I also like much of the Hamakua coffee, and there is some excellent Ka'u as well. While he was fixing up our place in Hilo, my husband stayed in Honoka'a for several days and had the wild Waipio coffee which he said really helped him get the painting done in a hurry once he was back in Hilo. Powerful stuff.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  12:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
FOLKS! This is only the beginning. Another distraction to take you off some of the bigger issues. STOP GMO NOW here in Hawaii! it already outta control! Stop the patents for controlling our food! Learn about what we donʻt know about the affects of GMO! Leave OUR KALO Alone! The rest of the world already knows this why donʻt we!?!! AND THEY COMING AFTER OUR COFFEE TOO! PEOPLE ! YOU GOTTA GET INVOLVED! IF YOU EAT FOOD YOU ARE INVOLVED IN AGRICULTURE!!! Do you really know what you stay eating? Where is it coming from? SUPPORT AND PROTECT YOUR RESOURCES! STOP ERADICATION!! GROW FOOD FOR PEACE AND SHARE A PIECE OF FOOD! COFFEE FARMERS STOP DRINKING COFFEE!!!! YOU DRINKING ALL YOUR PROFIT! Originally coffee was never meant for drinking...but we donʻt really need to go there do we? I grew coffee in the hills of south kona in Kealia. my wifeʻs ʻohana is from Honaunau, also coffee farmers. I have performed for the Kona coffee festivals..Many of the local people have worked so hard to put Kona Coffee on the map only to have it snatched up by 10%ʻers. dis kine stuff has been going on and will continue until people in the community are tired of being sick and tired and fed up by all the BS and all the farmers say, you know what?! grow your own friken food! And then, they grow just for their friends and family...i sure hope dea my friends or family cause the rest of you is all outta luck!!! Donʻt be outta lucK! FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING INTO YOUR BODY! common sense right? you not gonna put lawn mower oil in your ferrari(oh wait, wait, i mean camaro!)hah? i luv kona coffe too but, I did hear that Kaʻu coffee, 2 famers placed in the top 10 in the world cupping out of over 500 other coffeeʻs...sorry but i neva see any kona coffee that made even the top 100? So impressed was Royʻs who is now using an exclusive line up of his KAʻu Favorites! Competition is good sometimes...it evens out the playing field...
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  02:47:03 AM  Show Profile
"Grow your own friken food" is exactly what the corporations behind GMOfood and plant patents are trying to get farmers to say- they would like to take over not only the seed production but the entire food production process. Monopoly is the name of the game, sue anyone who doesn't comply! Like the farmer in Canada who got sued, and lost, because Monsanto's "Round Up Ready" rapeseed ("canola")pollen blew into his field and pollenated his crop, causing some plants to get the gene for Roundup resistance.

So corporate farmers can contaminate our seedstock with new genes of untested or proven to be harmful effect on human heath, then sue us because "their" genes got into our seed. In Mexico, where it is illegal to grow GM corn, the national corn gene bank tested their corn and found over 80% of the seed stock had been contaminated with GM genes- over 1000 miles from the nearest legal place to grow GM corn, under the most carefully controlled growing conditions! And the "Starlink" corn the genes had come from had already been pulled off the market after making a large number of people sick- it was only approved as animal feed but some went into the human feed chain. Now this toxic gene is in most of the world's corn.

So as Keoki says, wake up people! Only in North America are corporations allowed to experiment with our food supply and health in the name of creating a monoply on our food supply, but pollen blows far and the effects are felt around the world. And the Island of Hawai'i is by far the number one spot for these experiments. Why? We are told it is absolutely safe, but they are doing it in Hawai'i because of "its small population and extreme isolation". If it is so safe, why do you need somewhere isolated, with a small population, to experiment?

The full story on GM food is too lengthly to go into in depth here, but people need to read, then wake up and join the rest of the world in outlawing this dangerous practice that threatens the world's food supply. GM seed reduces income to farmers, eliminates our export market, and threatens the health of those who eat it- and only a few large corporations (seed and chemical suppliers) profit.

No more experiments on our bodies without our consent!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  06:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
get rid of all GM food. certain types of cancer have increased by 80% because of it
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  07:23:52 AM  Show Profile
But have not farmers/botanists done this over many, many years in an effort to improve the stock? Didn't the pineapple and sugar cane guys develop different strains of plants to get a sweeter pineapple or sugar cane that makes more juice? They work on plants to make them more drought resistant, to make them resistant to barious detrimental insects. To increase yields. Isn't that what any farmer wants? I remember when I was a kid in West Virginian. My grandpa grew tobacco as a cash crop. We had to help do an organic task of removing tobacco horned worms -- i.e., pull da buggahs off by hand. YUCKY! I would druther hoe weeds and weeds and weeds than pull one of them ugly guys off the plant. Because you had to pull him in half. Can't just take him off there, he will crawl back. Gotta annihilate da buggah. YUCK! So, I guess what I am saying is that, to me, it would be more better if there was a strain that wouldn't taste good to the worms. Their mamas are some giant hummingbird moth or something like that. Maybe like those wine drinking moths you have at AMC on Moloka`i. Look dis buggah: http://apps.caes.uga.edu/news/graphicsfiles/TobaccoHornworm5hr.jpg

Anyhow - I think the important things are 1) that the video was squelched. What ever happened to freedome of speech? 2) people just need to be made aware of read labels and pay attention to what they buy. And you would think someone with half a brain would wonder why one coffee is less than half the price of the other one that also says Kona. Duh. Even a dummy like me figured that one out on our first trip to Hawai`i. Our hotel said they serve Kona coffee for breakfast. Well, patooie! It is a Kona blend and they musta blended it with something they scraped off the barn floor.

We always bring good coffee back as sourvenirs when we hele Hawai`i, whether it is Kona, Maui and Kaua`i kine. We always make sure it is 100% local kine.

But Keoki - what was coffee meant for if not drinking? Too small beans to throw at a pua`a and bean him in the head. I am serious, though. I do not know what coffee was for if not drinking.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  4:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
There is a world of difference between GMO and selective breading, Wanda. Here is a nice piece of easy reading:
http://www.phy.auckland.ac.nz/staff/prw/Recent_Work/Articles/EnvironRisksGE.html

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  04:29:29 AM  Show Profile
Selective breeding enhances and reinforces traits that already existed in the species in question. With genetic "engineering" genes from entirely unrelated species (or genes created in a laboratory that don't exist in nature at all) are literally blasted into the genetic material in a shotgun approach, and if the gene happens to wind up in a location where it is activated the resulting chimera is introduced into the population of that species.

On of the many,many dangers with the approach used is that the mad scientists need a method to determine if the "insertion" has been successful or not. The way this is done is a gene for antibiotic resistance, that is attached to the desired gene that is being inserted. If the desired gene winds up in a location where it is activated, the antibiotic resistance is activated too. Then they just add a bunch of antibiotics to the cells and the cells that survive are the ones with the activated genes.

Clever, yes? The only problem is that the GM organisims they have created carry this gene for antibiotic resistance. Now bacteria have a clever mechanism for dong their own genetic engineering- they transfer genes from their environment into their genome, and retain those that are useful, such as antibiotic resistance. They then pass these genes on through their population, and other bacteria can also obtain these genes. Studies have found E. Coli in the human gut obtaining the gene for antibiotic resistance after a single meal of GM food.

Just one of so many reasons to be opposed to what can only be described as idiocy. Vast experiments with our food supply, using the citizens of North America as the experimental animals, for the benefit of a few corporations, only makes sense to those who are paid off to go along with it. And the "regulators", it turns out, are former employees, stockholders, become employees when they are finished doing the dirty work- the whole sad story of a government run by corporations.

Well, just in case I am not bothered enough already by this, I think I'll read the article cited by Konabob...

Chris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000