Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 looking for song and chords
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  06:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I have a song stuck in my head and I can not find the music for it anywhere on the internet. I heard it while in Hawaii and I have a recording of it by George Kahumoku Jr. that I listen to often. Any help is appreciated. it is a popular church song in Hawaii I believe.

" Ua Mau "

If you have the chourds for Ukulele I would be most grateful if you could e-mail them to me or tell me where i might locate them.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  09:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
George is doing it in C open tuning(I'm guessing). I can transcribe it for an ukulele, guitar, piano or instrument of your choice. Send me a check fo $50 and I will deliver the transcription within the week. For a choral arrangement, allow two weeks. Email me for more info.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  12:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Ua Mau

verse:
(C)Ua mau, (F) mai e ka pono.(C)
(G7) Mai ka Makua lani (C) mai
Ke hui (F) nei mäkou (C)
I (G7) kona loko maika`i. (C)
chorus:
(C) Hosana (F)`ia ke Akua (C)
(G7)Ma nä lani (F) ki`eki`e (C)
Ka waiho (F) `ana mai (C)
(G7) I kö käkou ola (C)

I think there is a slight difference between verse and chorus, but this should be close.
Check out a recording for the exact melody. I have heard Na Leo Pilimehana sing it and saw it on one of Iz' videos.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  01:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Mahalo Jesse I will be busy playing all weekend

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  04:43:11 AM  Show Profile
Luckily, huapala.org has included all of the verses to this himeni -- as well as the story behind it (at bottom of page):
http://www.huapala.org/U/Hosana.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  04:46:26 AM  Show Profile
As for the various recordings of the himeni, most Hawaiians ask for the one done by Moe Keale (on his "South Sea Island Magic" CD) -- or the newest one, by (Walter) Keale (on his "Kahikina" CD).

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  07:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
I do believe George plays in the key of C using a Taro Patch "F".

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  2:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Here you go. This is from huapala, with the chords inserted by me. I don't know what key you want to play/sing it in. If I do it in a key of my choice, can you transpose if you need to? Please let me know. Here it is in the key of C.

Ua Mau - Hosana - by Moses W. Kaaneikawahaale Keale

C F C
Ua mau mai e ka pono
G7 F C
Mai ka Makua lani mai
C F C
Ke hui nei mäkou
G7 C (G7)
I kona loko maika`i

Hui:
C F C
Hosana `ia ke Akua
G7 F C
Ma nä lani ki`eki`e
C F C
Ka waiho `ana mai
G7 C (G7)
I kö käkou ola

C F C
Ke hui mai mäkou
G7 F C
Makua me keiki
C F C
Lökahi pü ka mana`o
G7 C (G7)
I ho`okahi pu`uwai

C F C
Eia nö mäkou
G7 F C
Ke mele `oli aku nei
C F C
Ma ka inoa o ka Haku
G7 C (G7)
Iehowa Sapaota

C F C
E ala like nä hoa
G7 F C
E pali no ka pono
C F C
E mau ke küpa`a
G7 C (G7)
Ma ka pono o ka `uhane

C F C
Kaulana këia hui
G7 F C
Ma nä hana o ka pono
C F C
`O ka hui Kula Sabati
G7 C (G7)
O ka lä welona a ka lä

C F C
Eia käkou äpau
G7 F C
I `äkoakoa mai nei
C F C
E `ike i nä hana
G7 C (g7)
Kaulana o Iubile

C F C
E nä hoa luhi nei
G7 F C
E hö`ola nä ka mana`o
C F C
Ma ka pono o ka `uhane
G7 C (G7)
E ola ai käkou

C F C
Ho`okahi nö mäkia
G7 F C
Näna i kuhikuhi mai
C F C
Nä hana e ulu ai
G7 C (G7)
Ka pono no käkou

C F C
Näna i alaka`i a`e
G7 F C
Iä käkou äpau
C F C
Me ke ao mälamalama
G7 C (G7)
O ka lanakila mau

C F C
Hau`oli pü käkou
G7 F C
I këia la maika`i
C F C
Hö i Kula Sapati
G7 C (G7)
O Ka welona a ka la

Translation:
Perpetual is the righteousness
That comes from the Father above
Let us gather together
In His goodness and grace

Chorus:
Praised be God
In the high heavens
His laying down
For our lives

We gather together
Parents and children
As one in mind
And one in heart

Here we all are
Joyfully praising
In the name of the Lord
Jehovah of the Sabbath

Arise all ye saints
Stand fast for righteousness
Forever faithful
In the goodness of the Spirit

This renowned union
In the works of righteousness
The Sabbath day throng
Of the twilight

Here we all are
Having gathered together
To witness the works
And celebrate the Jubilee

Ye wearied laborers
Comfort and salvation to your minds
Through the goodness of the Spirit
That we may live

One in purpose
He, the Lord, directs
The work that is inspired
For the good of us all

It is He that leads
Each and everyone of us
With enlightend knowledge
Of continual victory

We are overjoyed
This blessed day
At Sunday worship
Until the twilight

Source: Translated by Kä`eo Kawa`a - Moses W. Kaaneikawahaale Keale, more commonly known as Keale Ta Kaula (Keale, the prophet) was one of Ni`ihau's most famous and powerful christian leaders. Born in Kalalau, Kaua`i, about 1828, he was an excellent hunter, not brought up in the new christian religion. One day, as he was hunting, he followed a white goat up a cliff and became stranded on a ledge. A falling rock hit him, causing him to lose his balance and tumble into the river called Makani Kahoa. As he plummeted down the cliff, he called out, "If there really is a God, he will save me and I shall spend the rest of my life serving him". His fall was broken by a pandanus tree and he was pulled from the river by his dog. Another version varies a little, but the facts, the fall and rescue by his dog are the same in this story of his conversion. Keale started his first church in Waimea, Kaua`i and was led to Ni`ihau where he was greatly loved and respected as a kahu and for his gift of prophecy. Many songs were written in his honor and he in turn wrote many prayers and hymns for his church that are still used today.

I think I lined up everything the best I could. Please e-mail me if you have any questions. I'm glad to be of help to anyone who needs help with anything. Mahalo nui loa.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  2:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Ah shucks! The computer won't let me line it up right. It only puts one space between each chord name. Andy, is there anything you can do about this? Mahalo.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  03:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Thanks so much and no problem I have been busy playing it along with Georgeall weekend. I love the fact that not only do I now have all of the verses but a much deeper understanding of the song. I had heard the story once when we sang it in Waimea but had not remembered all of it. I had found the huapala.org web site it is one of my favorite sources for words and info on songs my problem is I am still not real good on finding correct chords by just listening to recordings I wish I could play by ear but I am still working on it. Luckly I do know how to transpose so once I find the song I can transpose it into a key that I can sing it in . Now if my Hawaiian will just improve to the point that I am confident enough to sing this at our church I think otherwould really enjoy it as well. Ah well it is a GOAL.
MAHALO everyone for your help !

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  07:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Bill Keale does a beautiful version of this song on his "With Aloha" CD. He Does it in the key of F...C chord position capoed at the 5th fret.

http://www.billkeale.com/discography_details.php?fmAlbum=11&fmSubmit=search_discography_details&fmFormMode=search

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  12:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by NANI

Thanks so much and no problem I have been busy playing it along with Georgeall weekend. I love the fact that not only do I now have all of the verses but a much deeper understanding of the song. I had heard the story once when we sang it in Waimea but had not remembered all of it. I had found the huapala.org web site it is one of my favorite sources for words and info on songs my problem is I am still not real good on finding correct chords by just listening to recordings I wish I could play by ear but I am still working on it. Luckly I do know how to transpose so once I find the song I can transpose it into a key that I can sing it in . Now if my Hawaiian will just improve to the point that I am confident enough to sing this at our church I think otherwould really enjoy it as well. Ah well it is a GOAL.
MAHALO everyone for your help !

E Nani e,

If you eva get questions about language, chords or whatevas, no shame contact me. I always get room for more TP hoaloha!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  9:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Here's one of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1bBMyZjJbk

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  02:28:14 AM  Show Profile
Very beautifully done, Jesse. What kind of microphone is that we see in your videos? It looks way cool, like back from the fifties.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  04:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I am using one of the cheap large diaphragm condensers from MXL. Sound is mediocre, but it's very sensitive so I don't have to "eat" the mic when making videos. The two mics I use were a set for about $100.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  3:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Here's one of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1bBMyZjJbk

Jesse Tinsley

Nani loa!

It's always a pleasure to hear your wonderful voice and guitar/'ukulele playing. I hope we can meet each other in person sometime and maybe even kanikapila together.

E wala'au kaua!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000