Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha Taro Patch!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tad
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  8:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Newb here!

I've crossed paths with guitar a few times in my past but never for very long due to life's changes. Now in my 40's and settling down a bit I've been playing around with ukulele for about the past year and a half. Real informal, just strumming and learning some Hawaiian song so far. I've been listening to more Hawaiian slack key lately and thought I'd give it a try. Aside from the beauty and heritage it seems well suited to my "learn by ear, never learned to read music" approach :)

My 10 year old son will be getting his first taste of playing guitar (electric) this Xmas. Although our tastes for music are a little different it will be fun to be learning on parallel paths.

After reading reviews here on Taro Patch I've just received Ozzie Kotani's book+CD and am now anxiously awaiting the DVD and my guitar! Can't wait to start :) Taro Patch looks like a good place for support and inspiration.

Just thought I'd say hello!

-Tad

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  02:17:03 AM  Show Profile
Dear Tad: Welcome to Taro Patch. If you live in Seattle, then you probably know there are all kinds of swell opportunities to hear wonderful Hawaiian musicians live and up close. In addition, there appears to be a wonderful community of folks who like to get together and play music and have an all-round swell time.

Good idea to introduce a child to music. Kids with music in their hearts sure grow up to be pretty darn swell adults.

Once again, welcome.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  06:54:41 AM  Show Profile
Tad, welcome to da 'patch! There's a bunch of us in Seattle that get together regularly to jam. We hope to see you soon.
Go to Top of Page

Tad
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  07:42:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warm welcome (and for moving this post to the right place :)

wcerto: I reeeeally wanted to see Ledward Kaapana and Mike Kaawa when they were here last month! Looking forward to getting with others to learn and share. Browsing through the members it looks like quite a few in the Seattle area I've been unable to get with the local ukulele group. Seems like something always comes up. My son has played piano for about four years now. It's been good for him but I think it's time to shift to an instrument he has more enthusiasm for.

Momi: It's hockey season for my son so time is tight until spring but let me know when and where, and if there's a web link :) Stay warm eh?! Wish I was in HI right now

Malama pono!
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  09:20:46 AM  Show Profile
Kona Kitchen evry second Saturday has a bunch of misfits that try to play anything Hawaiian. 9-12 AM come on by.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Tad
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  10:28:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Kona Kitchen evry second Saturday has a bunch of misfits that try to play anything Hawaiian. 9-12 AM come on by.

Aloha Al! Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can sneak out one of these Saturday nights soon!
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  1:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Tad, the kanikapila/free-for-alls are on Saturday mornings. KK sometimes has more organized live music, but it's usually Friday nights!

GS - sometimes we sound scary too. And we only inflict bodily harm on ourselves (cramped fingers, hadicated arms, etc.)

Edited by - Momi on 12/19/2008 1:31:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  6:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by guavasunrise

I think noeau actually meant 9-12 PM instead.
You gonna get him all confused now. Try: 9 am to Noon. Better yet, breakfast time. (Put it in terms related to food, the Hawai`i folks understand right away.)
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  7:48:42 PM  Show Profile
yeh ya know wot i meen. 9A-12P but 9-12 AM meen da same ting e wot. I no ken right strate li'dat.

Edited by - noeau on 12/19/2008 7:49:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  11:12:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:

yeh ya know wot i meen. 9A-12P but 9-12 AM meen da same ting e wot. I no ken right strate li'dat.
Wow. And da buggah went private school too up da hill in Kaimuki.

Probly spent most of his time down da hill at Riverside pool hall.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  11:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Nice dat Santa Claus, Braddah Ed.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  02:22:26 AM  Show Profile
Az y da house paid fo no mo mohgudge. Not fancy but keep da rain off. Ono da buttah mochi. Shootz den. Notice Paul stays da bottom, bad arturaitiss stayaz hard fo da knees, But we get sidewalks an fiyah hydranz.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  12:21:01 PM  Show Profile
That's an old picture,before we painted it red.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Tad
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  12:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Hahahahahaha...LOL! You folks got me rollin on the floor

I can tell this is going to be a fun bunch. I can't wait to see you in action.

Stay safe and warm this weekend. Iz gonna get nasty!

Aloha all!
Tad
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  4:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Well Ed, if you know about Riverside it must mean you guilty too.

Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  5:14:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Well Ed, if you know about Riverside it must mean you guilty too.

Who me? Nah brah, I never set foot in dat place because I was still too young and busy shining shoes next door at da old P&P Market, which is where City Mill is today.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000