Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha Folks!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

up4surfing
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  7:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit up4surfing's Homepage
I'll be moving to Citrus Heights (Sacramento) to be with my sweetheart. I've lived in Hawaii all my life and realize I'm in for somewhat of a culture shock. It's all good though, and I'm being very positive. I just found an L&L's down the road!! Awesome!!

I'll be there in May, and was wondering if anyone gets together in that area for a kanikapila of sorts. I would love to meet folks who love Hawaiian music and am looking forward to making new friends. I'm also new to Taropatch, but love it already. Mahalo everybody!

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  8:09:47 PM  Show Profile

Well if you can drive to Vacaville, there is the famous "CowTown Kanikapila" once a month (on a Sunday, which helps a lot with the traffic situation). Should be less than a one hour drive depending on where you are in Sacramento. There are sometimes happenings in the other direction in the Grass Valley area. And... there is a Radio Station in Auburn or Grass Valley that does a Sunday morning Hawaiian Radio for 4 or 5 hours. If you can stand driving 2 to 2.5 hours there are a few more things happening monthly in the SF Bay Area. You can search here or Google all these things.

Sorry 'bout the Culture Shock. I moved from Tampa to Santa Monica and experienced plenty of culture shock (mostly crowding an noise), but your case is more extreme!!

Probably will not be too bad if you are Honolulu area resident, the Honolulu urban and sub-urban lifestyle is more like the mainland than any place in Hawaii that I have been (except for the weather, foiliage, language idioms, warm ocean, etc... better stop here) Although parts of Maui are kinda-like "Santa-Cruz-West" All this is My Opinion, of course.

Welcome to California, or my condolences (whichever you prefer).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/28/2009 8:15:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  9:38:51 PM  Show Profile
To all you people of Sacramento please take note that a wonderful human being who just happens to be very talented is moving to California.If you have the opportunity to kanikapila with this man do not look a gift horse in the mouth and jump on it.You'll become a fan of the man & the musician as am I. I just had the pleasure of making his acquaintence a few months ago and frankly I'm bummed out that he's leaving Hawaii.Oh well my loss,your gain.For those of you who don't know..... "Up4surfing" is Mike Keale of the famous "Keale Ohana i.e. Moe & Walter etc etc!!

Eh Mike get choke Hawaiian clubs in Sac-Town from what I heard, hope you can hook up with some.Good luck with the move my braddah and I know they going love up there as much as we going miss you over here

Aloha
Braddah Duke

Edited by - sirduke58 on 03/28/2009 9:46:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2009 :  10:10:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

For those of you who don't know..... "Up4surfing" is Mike Keale of the famous "Keale Ohana i.e. Moe & Walter etc etc!!
Braddah Duke, I had one mean feeling it was Mike Keale posting but I didn't say anything because I noticed he left his profile pretty much incognito and so I didn't want to blow his cover. So brah, mahalo to you for blowing his cover instead.

Braddah Mike, I don't think you need to be worrying at all about finding places to kanikapila from what I've seen and heard of you online through Youtube videos, your stints on the Andy Bumatai show, and articles I've read in online Hawai'i newspapers. You have a gift of exuding aloha from within wherever you go and it shows through brah, in your music as well as the way you walk the walk.

Plus like you said brah, you going get one L&L's right by you. No can go wrong. \m/\m/

Aloha,
braddah ed
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  06:36:13 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the Patch. Plenty Hawaiian stuff happening in the SF Bay Area as mentioned previously. Iʻm sure youʻll be of interest to those venues that offer live entertainment on Friday and Saturday evenings. Iʻm in SF and fortunate to participate in several kani in the immediate Bay Area. Maybe you might want to venture once a month this far to check it out like the monthly open mic at Temple Bar in Berkeley, or the monthly open mic extravaganza at the new Tiki Tomʻs in Oakland. But definitely check out Cowtown Kanikapila every second Sunday of the month. When I can, Iʻm there. Hope to be playing with you sometime in the future.

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

up4surfing
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit up4surfing's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by guitarded

quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

For those of you who don't know..... "Up4surfing" is Mike Keale of the famous "Keale Ohana i.e. Moe & Walter etc etc!!
Braddah Duke, I had one mean feeling it was Mike Keale posting but I didn't say anything because I noticed he left his profile pretty much incognito and so I didn't want to blow his cover. So brah, mahalo to you for blowing his cover instead.

Braddah Mike, I don't think you need to be worrying at all about finding places to kanikapila from what I've seen and heard of you online through Youtube videos, your stints on the Andy Bumatai show, and articles I've read in online Hawai'i newspapers. You have a gift of exuding aloha from within wherever you go and it shows through brah, in your music as well as the way you walk the walk.

Plus like you said brah, you going get one L&L's right by you. No can go wrong. \m/\m/

Aloha,
braddah ed

Dear Re...oops Guitarded! lol!! Thank you so much for the wonderful encouragement and support. Are you here in Sacramento or are you trying not to 'blow your cover!' Not dah Ninjah eh? heh,heh! I hope to meet you one day braddah Ed.. or did I already? Maybe we can jam in the future and thanks for the warm aloha and welcome. A hui hou, brother.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

up4surfing
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit up4surfing's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GUke

Welcome to the Patch. Plenty Hawaiian stuff happening in the SF Bay Area as mentioned previously. Iʻm sure youʻll be of interest to those venues that offer live entertainment on Friday and Saturday evenings. Iʻm in SF and fortunate to participate in several kani in the immediate Bay Area. Maybe you might want to venture once a month this far to check it out like the monthly open mic at Temple Bar in Berkeley, or the monthly open mic extravaganza at the new Tiki Tomʻs in Oakland. But definitely check out Cowtown Kanikapila every second Sunday of the month. When I can, Iʻm there. Hope to be playing with you sometime in the future.

Genaro

Thanks for the info G-UKE. I would be more than willing to check out those places in Berkeley and SF. My girl gotta drive though. I notice no mo' Mauka, Makai, Diamond Head and Ewa. Heh,heh! I think I need GPS! Wah,wah,wah! Mahalo brah! We'll meet soon....

Mike
Go to Top of Page

up4surfing
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  09:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit up4surfing's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

Well if you can drive to Vacaville, there is the famous "CowTown Kanikapila" once a month (on a Sunday, which helps a lot with the traffic situation). Should be less than a one hour drive depending on where you are in Sacramento. There are sometimes happenings in the other direction in the Grass Valley area. And... there is a Radio Station in Auburn or Grass Valley that does a Sunday morning Hawaiian Radio for 4 or 5 hours. If you can stand driving 2 to 2.5 hours there are a few more things happening monthly in the SF Bay Area. You can search here or Google all these things.

Sorry 'bout the Culture Shock. I moved from Tampa to Santa Monica and experienced plenty of culture shock (mostly crowding an noise), but your case is more extreme!!

Probably will not be too bad if you are Honolulu area resident, the Honolulu urban and sub-urban lifestyle is more like the mainland than any place in Hawaii that I have been (except for the weather, foiliage, language idioms, warm ocean, etc... better stop here) Although parts of Maui are kinda-like "Santa-Cruz-West" All this is My Opinion, of course.

Welcome to California, or my condolences (whichever you prefer).

Brother Lawrence,

Thank you for the info on the Cowtown Kanikapila! Will you be there? Would love to meet you. Do you know when the one in May is? I'll be moved by then. I'm moving out of noisy Honolulu (Punahou and Dole) complete with Freeway entrance, hospital one block away with accompanying sirens etc. Get this.. I'm moving to a quiet gated community with my girl. Talk about culture shock! Heh,heh! Thanks so much your response. Please keep in touch on Taropatch and you can contact me on my website too. Much aloha, brah!

Mike

http://www.mikeale.com/
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  11:59:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by up4surfing

Dear Re...oops Guitarded! lol!! Thank you so much for the wonderful encouragement and support. Are you here in Sacramento or are you trying not to 'blow your cover!' Not dah Ninjah eh? heh,heh! I hope to meet you one day braddah Ed.. or did I already?
No brah you was right da first time because I'm quite retarded too. And no we nevah meet yet but I hope we do someday. I also flunked Ninja School because I no could cling to da ceiling since I weigh about 500 lbs. I'm located in da barren boonies area of Washington state quite a ways inland from all da Hawaiians and Hawaiians-at-heart in da Portland and Seattle areas, so bumbai aftah you get your bearings on da mainland and think you ready fo start exploring da upper left coast side, go lemme know and maybe us guys up here can figgah something out fo get togeddah. \m/
quote:
I'm moving out of noisy Honolulu (Punahou and Dole) complete with Freeway entrance, hospital one block away with accompanying sirens etc.
Braddah Mike, please don't knock dat hospital too much because dass wheya I was born.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  1:13:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Thank you for the info on the Cowtown Kanikapila! Will you be there?
We don't get there very often in recent times. We have attended about three times since it started a few years ago, but more recently my day job has been working me long hours on the weekdaze and often on Saturdaze too, leaving Sundays as the only day to do stuff around the house! aaaaarrgh! (That's Tampa-Bay Pirate Talk) But, eventually we will drive out again some Sunday, can't say when.

The honorable jlsulle should post sometime soon about this, he usually announces it about a week before here on taropatch.

We are also going to try to make it to the "Aloha Sunday" at TempleBar in Berzerkly (mentioned above) more often. Since that is about 45 min drive instead of 105 minute drive for us, it is much easier to get to, but the tradition there is to have a house band and a much shorter "open mic" period, not really a kanikapila.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/29/2009 1:33:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  2:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Eh Braddah Mike: Can tell you get plenny aloha, just from watching you ontop da You Tube. Hoh, can see da happy face you get when playing music, da Kaka`ako kanikapila with my hanai braddahs Duke and Jay and with Lanet guyz. And da voice! Now dat is in your koko, your `ohana amazingly talented. One good ting fo no, Hawai`i not gonna leave you; das you pu`uwai.

Good ting you no move ova heah Cleveland, OH, way mo den culcha shock. But den again, would be one good ting, too, Paul have someone fo jam with and our newly formed Halau would welcoome you wit open arms.

I tink Podagee (Kurt Silva) wen tell us about da good tings you did in Honolulu. You have been a blessing to many.

Welcome to Taro Patch.

I am shua plenny folks gonna give you a very nice welcome.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

up4surfing
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  3:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit up4surfing's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by guitarded

quote:
Originally posted by up4surfing

Dear Re...oops Guitarded! lol!! Thank you so much for the wonderful encouragement and support. Are you here in Sacramento or are you trying not to 'blow your cover!' Not dah Ninjah eh? heh,heh! I hope to meet you one day braddah Ed.. or did I already?
No brah you was right da first time because I'm quite retarded too. And no we nevah meet yet but I hope we do someday. I also flunked Ninja School because I no could cling to da ceiling since I weigh about 500 lbs. I'm located in da barren boonies area of Washington state quite a ways inland from all da Hawaiians and Hawaiians-at-heart in da Portland and Seattle areas, so bumbai aftah you get your bearings on da mainland and think you ready fo start exploring da upper left coast side, go lemme know and maybe us guys up here can figgah something out fo get togeddah. \m/
quote:
I'm moving out of noisy Honolulu (Punahou and Dole) complete with Freeway entrance, hospital one block away with accompanying sirens etc.
Braddah Mike, please don't knock dat hospital too much because dass wheya I was born.

Kapiolani Hospital action! Yeah! We braddahs! Except, I was born 1954..old fut! heh,heh
Go to Top of Page

up4surfing
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  3:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit up4surfing's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Eh Braddah Mike: Can tell you get plenny aloha, just from watching you ontop da You Tube. Hoh, can see da happy face you get when playing music, da Kaka`ako kanikapila with my hanai braddahs Duke and Jay and with Lanet guyz. And da voice! Now dat is in your koko, your `ohana amazingly talented. One good ting fo no, Hawai`i not gonna leave you; das you pu`uwai.

Good ting you no move ova heah Cleveland, OH, way mo den culcha shock. But den again, would be one good ting, too, Paul have someone fo jam with and our newly formed Halau would welcoome you wit open arms.

I tink Podagee (Kurt Silva) wen tell us about da good tings you did in Honolulu. You have been a blessing to many.

Welcome to Taro Patch.

I am shua plenny folks gonna give you a very nice welcome.

Thanks Sistah,

I feel I can make it over there knowing so many have the aloha and are willing to share it! Even if they're far away in the midwest, east coast, etc. I hope we get to meet soon. When I get GPS, I going come up Ohio. No mo' makai, mauka, D.Head and Ewa so I need all the help I can get.

Is that the Kurt Silva in Bend, Oregon? If it is, he's good friends with my brother Bill who also lives in Bend. Thanks again for all your good and positive spirit. Much aloha, Wanda and God bless...

Mike
Go to Top of Page

up4surfing
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  3:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit up4surfing's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:
Thank you for the info on the Cowtown Kanikapila! Will you be there?
We don't get there very often in recent times. We have attended about three times since it started a few years ago, but more recently my day job has been working me long hours on the weekdaze and often on Saturdaze too, leaving Sundays as the only day to do stuff around the house! aaaaarrgh! (That's Tampa-Bay Pirate Talk) But, eventually we will drive out again some Sunday, can't say when.

The honorable jlsulle should post sometime soon about this, he usually announces it about a week before here on taropatch.

We are also going to try to make it to the "Aloha Sunday" at TempleBar in Berzerkly (mentioned above) more often. Since that is about 45 min drive instead of 105 minute drive for us, it is much easier to get to, but the tradition there is to have a house band and a much shorter "open mic" period, not really a kanikapila.

Aaaargh! I like the Bucs! Thanks for the info brah! I'll wait for the announcement from the honorable jlsulle. Is this person on Taropatch too? Take care brah!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  3:35:43 PM  Show Profile
E mike GPS is da bomb. We get to go all ovah and no get lost well, almost no get lost. It ainʻt perfect but it is better than nothing. So no forget if you can make it up our way you more than welcome.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 03/29/2009 3:36:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  5:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

So no forget if you can make it up our way you more than welcome.

E, brah --- I hear ony GOOD words about you from "trusted sources" (oh...and TaroPatchers, too) --- hope we get to meet and make music with you up Seattle way before long!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000