Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 I'm still doing taropatch.net inspired kanikapila
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  8:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although the activity here in the 'Patch has dwindled to what seems like a single new post once a week I still hustle "taropatch.net" inspired kanikapila. I've made many connections with musicians who were members here. The very first band I ever played in (Ke Kani Nahe) consisted of 4 'Patch members.

Hookani--Derek "Hookani" Higa
S.M 80808--Shawn Machida
Olu143--Samson Ah Mook Sang
Sir Duke--Duke Domingo

My 2nd group included Terry Brown aka "ukulele911" Then the 3rd band included Jonathan Castillo aka "kealohalaniinc" plus olu 143 & S.M 80808. These guys are all lifeliong friends now. 4 of 5 I met here.

The point here is to make connections because the people here already have a common ground as in the love for kiho'alu or Hawaiian music's many other forms.

Yesterday I held a potluck kanikapila that was inspired by another 'Patch member I had never met before. I hustled a gathering of the local Hawaii gang of musicians to welcome Terry Beckhelm aka Chunky Monkey. Although most of the member mentioned above didn't show up (bad weather) the 'Patch was well represented.

Kealohalaniinc--Jonathan Castillo
Kawika96797--David "Kawika" Soon
Chunky Monkey--Terry Beckhelm
Sir Duke--Me

Plus 'Patch members invited but did not show
DKaulia--Donald Batino Kaulia
Hookani--Derek "Hookani" Higa
OzzieK--Ozzie Kotani
olu143--Samson Ah Mook Sang
S.M 80808--Shawn Machida
ukulele911--Terry Brown
Abrigoohana--Abrigo Ohana
slackkey808--Zach Onaga
Braddah Jay--Jason Barino
kaleokeawe--Eric Keawe

I'd estimate that 3/4 of my invites were members of taropatch.net. As you can see, it was heavily inspired by this website. That being said, I strongly recommend you all keep in contact with those you've met here or rekindle the friendships you've lost track of. Kanikapila is the byproduct of Andy's website. Hurry up & go get you some!!!

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  08:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen, braddah Duke! I stop by almost every day to see what's up, and I wish more of you guyz would, too. This is different from Facebook, ya know. It seems that the flamers have gone, too.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  11:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm checking in nearly everyday. Hard to believe how sometimes nearly a week can go by, without a single post. I joined about 8 years ago as a uke player. Later got inspired to teach myself slack key. Stuck with it for about 3 solid years. A few months ago I tuned my guitars back to standard. One thing that has never changed is my love of Hawaiian music, and all things Aloha. Even though I live in the desert of Az., the only music I really play is Hawaiian. Would love to see the taropatch forum activity from a few years ago come back.
Go to Top of Page

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2015 :  4:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh Duke. I wish I could make it back home more often for a kanikapila, I have fond memories from a couple of years ago at the Bishop Museum with the Abrigo Ohana. I try to play at least once a week but life always seems to get in the way. Someday I hope to get home and meet "da gang" that I have come to know from "da patch". And I treasure every thread, from fried rice recipes to how to finger a chord, all that makes me feel a little bit closer to home from over here in the South.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  09:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a sample of the kanikapila last Monday. If only you could see the contentment on everyone's faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQPYfguJFIE
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  09:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom & Jay, be sure to let me know in advance if ever you make it to Oahu again. I'll hustle a kanikapila in your honor for sure

Jack Aldrich, you know I do one automatically every January when you & Kory come to visit. Then again in April when you re-visit.

Hosting kanikapila is sort of like my kuleana. I'm recommending everyone reading this should take the initiative & hustle these in your hometown.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  06:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, Duke! I look forward to the great music and ono grinz at your affairs! Here in Seattle, we have 2 kanikapilas a month at Jean Smiths' (Neej on TP) and the monthly Spam n' Jam at the Kona Kitchen in my neighborhood. We gather for breakfast ohana style at 9am, and then jam until noon or so. Oh - Neej announces her kanis on the kanikapila page under "Seattle Experiment" .

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  12:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Duke! Well said! I check da 'patch erry day! FB can be fun (I get plenny cousins stay ova dea, even some from Sweden), but cannot replace da 'patch!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  1:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eh, Duke, howzit? I also check in a couple times each week, but rarely post anymore. I don't do Facebook, and will be the last person on the planet to ever try it. (If you ever see my profile there, start listening for hoof beats from the biblical Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse).

You guys have a much broader base there in Seattle country. Our uke group is going pretty strong here in Boise, with 20-25 people at each jam, but I cannot get them to do much real Hawaiian music. As a result, the local Hawaiians come once but don't stick around. Hapa haole is the best I can manage. I cannot find anyone to play slack-key with locally, but I keep playing on my own, and learning some new tunes each year. We have not been able to make it over to Neej's kanikapila in about five years now, but would love to do it again some time. We also cannot make it to Aloha Camp any more. This pesky working thing keeps getting in the way.

I've tried to connect with a hula halau locally, but have not penetrated successfully. I had a connection for a while but she moved back to the islands, and no luck since. I do fondly remember one chicken skin moment when this haole boy led "Hawaii Aloha" at a luau for over 200 people and dozens of families. An honor for sure.

The closest thign we've had lately was going to see Uncle Cyril and Peter Moon Jr play at the Kanikapila Grille during a trip to Honolulu last April. (Mahalo nui loa to fellow patchers for plugging us into the Oahu music scene).
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  5:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Earl

Maybe you should try to contact TP member Glenn Ito aka "Menpachi Man". He lives in Idaho & is originally from the Big Island. He's a slack key player that's so isolated in Idaho with no one to share his kiho'alu with. I bet he'd be willing to drive to Boise from wherever he lives in the state. I remember him driving up to Illinois to kanikapila with another TP member Bob D'entremont. Menpachi Man is in the same boat as you. He really needs a slack buddy. Last time I spoke to him he was drifting to Jazz because there was no one to play slack key with. Email me through TP and I'll give you his email address. These kind of connections definitely need to be made. Or I can try to email him on your behalf.

Aloha
Duke
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  6:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You Seattle guys have it going on there. I've heard of Jean's kanikapila & it's on my bucket list. If ever I get to the Pacific NW I want to jam at the folk festival you guys always play at & of course, attend one of Jean's kanikapila.

Meeting Terry Beckhelm aka Chunky Monkey on Monday September 14th came with the disturbing news that SCSKS is pretty much dormant too. All up & down the West Coast live choke transplanted Hawaii residents. I'm sure if you hustle them they'd love to attend a kanikapila. Just gotta find them & make a connection. One time on a trip to Vegas for a bowling tournament my friend & I stopped in Frisco to visit his sister. We went to a bowling alley to purchase bowling balls & lo and behold there was a Hawaiian League bowling that evening. 50 five man teams!!! 250 people. How many of them do you think would attend a potluck kanikapila if I posted a flyer on the bowling alley's bulletin board?

Just gotta find creative ways to connect with other like minded people. Kanikapila are not only good for the soul. You make musical connections at them. You also interact with other players & often times learn stuff they figured out & vice versa, swap mana'o. Workshops are okay but kanikapila are way more productive because you can share and absorb from others one one one. I always walk away from kanikapila with at least a little tidbit of kiho'alu. Take the iniative people. Don't wait for others to organize it. Maybe it's up to you to build that Hawaiian music community in your neighborhood. I do it because no one else seems to be organizing kanikapila.

Edited by - sirduke58 on 09/18/2015 6:05:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  05:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will make noise here the next time I am on Oahu. Just got back from 2 weeks there, staying with daughter at Kaneohe Bay. I did jam wid Bruddahs Jory and Bobby on Coconut Island, and with Walt Keale in Kailua, and thrice at Da Racks. Flew to Kona and had a jam with Konabob and Shirley, dual Hawaiian fiddle!
I also enthusiastically attend and recommend the kanikapila's here in Seattle that Jack was describing, and am looking to host something myself....

A hui hou,
--Maliko

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  11:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always keep your eyes and ears open. I was loading my truck at Costco the other day. An employee was hauling shopping carts back to the warehouse. I said "hi" and did a bit of talking story. Turns out she was from Oahu, lived not too far from me (even closer to Kermet and Tiko). She was interested in learning ki ho'alu and reconnecting with hula. I gave her my card and told her try call bumbye. Always be alert to spread da aloha. Music is communication. If we don't do it, who will?
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  12:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of these lightyears, I'm going to have to make it to Hawaii and catch up with some of you guys.

Australia's a pretty tough place to find Hawaiian music of any sort. There's a few uke groups about, but they're mostly just old time rock and roll played on ukes.

I did play some slack key the other day at a concert. I screwed up Manuela Boy really badly (it was my first time performing slack key and only my second time performing at all and nerves got the better of me), but it got some nice comments afterwards, and I surprised a few people who had no idea I could even play it at all.

There's a slight possibility that there might be another person in town who knows ki ho'alu. The husband of a friend of my wife is apparently interested in it, but I have not met him, and have no idea if he plays or not.

In the meantime, I'll keep slogging along using Ozzie's book and Mark Nelson's Jamplay.com series to learn from.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  04:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Go sirduke58! It's great to see players connecting and playing offline. I mean, that is really what it's all about. Thanks for getting things going here in cyberspace too. The video was a lot of fun to watch.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  06:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Duke! Email sent just now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000