Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 I'm still doing taropatch.net inspired kanikapila
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  6:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,
I knew you were in town but I couldn't break away to meet up with you & your "Slack Fiddle" That's why I didn't reply to your inquiry here in the "Kanikapila Forum" Looks like you managed to hook up for a nice number of kanikapila. Maybe I'll have better luck with free time next time you visit Hawaii

Andy
Despite the recent level of low activity here, taropatch.net will always be near & dear to me. I still browse through every single day. Your site has yielded many lifelong friends & musical connections. Like I stated earlier in this thread TP continues to be well represented & inspiration for my kanikapila

Geoff
Mahalo nui loa for your continued support of my YouTube channel videos. Glad to hear you had a public performance to share slack key. So cool to hear that even though by your account, you botched "Manuela Boy" big time, you still received some positive feedback. To me it means people are very receptive in your neighborhood. I've been playing out publicly for over 5 years & I still get butterflies. It takes time to get acclimated to playing before audiences, especially when you're the center of attention. Like Oz told me "No worry if you make mistakes. Most of the time, if you don't bring attention to the mistake 99% of the audience won't even notice. And no matter how bad you screw up, the Sun will come up tomorrow." Keep plugging away & enjoy the ride buddy. If you can't find someone to play slack key with then become the "Slack Key Ambassador of Australia" If I'm not mistaken, that position is still open

Eh Kory
I been stopping everybody I see carrying an ukulele or guitar lately. Sometimes I see somebody with no nails on their lefthand & long nails on their right. That's an automatic invitation to inquire if they play. My last kanikapila might yield me 2 more teenage brothers to share kiho'alu with. I'm always on the lookout just like you.

Earl
I sent an email to Menpachi Man. Now we just gotta wait to see if he's still alive lol

Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  10:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58
Geoff
Mahalo nui loa for your continued support of my YouTube channel videos. Glad to hear you had a public performance to share slack key. So cool to hear that even though by your account, you botched "Manuela Boy" big time, you still received some positive feedback. To me it means people are very receptive in your neighborhood. I've been playing out publicly for over 5 years & I still get butterflies. It takes time to get acclimated to playing before audiences, especially when you're the center of attention. Like Oz told me "No worry if you make mistakes. Most of the time, if you don't bring attention to the mistake 99% of the audience won't even notice. And no matter how bad you screw up, the Sun will come up tomorrow." Keep plugging away & enjoy the ride buddy. If you can't find someone to play slack key with then become the "Slack Key Ambassador of Australia" If I'm not mistaken, that position is still open

"Slack Key Ambassador of Australia"? I think I like the sound of that It'll be quite a while before I'm ready to do it justice, but it's certainly something to work towards

Nyet problemski on the YouTube front. Love your work there, and often just head back for a rewatch. Sometimes it's just because I like the music, and sometimes it's good to watch to learn some new techniques. So, even if I can't find a way to play live with you, your playing is still inspiring and helping me, and maholo for that.

I was definitely pleased with the reaction on Saturday. I've been jamming with a group who are more into bluegrass, country and 60s folk music, and several of them were really surprised with my ki ho'alu playing. I've only been playing guitar at all for eighteen months and slack key for only twelve of those, so hearing some of the more experienced people making very encouraging noises was neat So, even though it was kinda nerve-wracking and I didn't play anywhere near my best, I did enjoy the experience and want to do it again. Probably need to learn some more tunes though...

May I ask a favour? Next time you happen to be talking to Oz, can you thank him for me please? Without his book, I wouldn't be as far along as I am, and I wouldn't have been able to play for Mum when she was in hospital. So, I owe him many thanks for that.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  09:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff, I tell guys that when playing, if you hit a wrong note, remember it. You needed to know where that note was anyway.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  6:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just checking in after being sick for a week coming back from Oahu. Muchos Mahalos to Duke for organizing the kani while I was there. Despite the bad weather, we had a great time meeting all of the locals. This is one of the things I miss most, not having a group to share music.

Thanks again Duke.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2015 :  05:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff,

I'll definitely pass on your gratefulness to Ozzie next time I visit him. He will be touched to hear that you shared some of his music with your mum at that special moment. I know he will feel grateful to you for deeming his music appropriate on that occasion.

Terry,

Bummed to hear you were sick for a week after your trip here. No thanks needed for the kanikapila. I always use mainland visitors as an excuse to round up the gang. Kicks me into another gear & gets me over the procrastinating. Too bad the weather wasn't co-operating & held down the attendance. Sometimes the smaller turn outs are good because it's more intimate. You also have more turns to lead so you have more to opportunities to share. Only negative is that you don't get to meet more people & you miss out jamming with some super talented people. You'd have been blown away by Timi, Emily & Quinn Abrigo, Zach Onaga & David Kaio. Well that's okay, it leaves something to look forward to the next time you visit.

I really am grateful to have so many good people to share my music with. It wasn't by accident though. Lanet Abrigo, Derek "Hookani" Higa & I worked hard organizing "all comers" kanikapila for nearly 5 years. That's where almost all the musical connections were made. That was the whole purpose behind this thread. To encourage people like you to take the initiative & hustle kanikapila in your own neighborhood. Don't wait or depend on someone else to send you an invite. Go make it happen. Build that kanikapila community. I still have our old Waimea Valley & Bishop Museum Kanikapila email list that has over 150 people on it. You guys could easily build something similar. It all started because I didn't know anyone to play music with. Guess what? We found over a hundred people we didn't know were in the same boat. They didn't know anyone to jam with either!!! Go bring them together
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  07:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The real reason for the quirky "handle" for Terry

Terry,
Ditto on the support to Duke and Lanet. I have always looked forward to kanikapila with the Oahu O'Hana.
Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  06:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke
I've needed to get a kanikapila going in my area for years. This may be the push that gets me there.
If I have questions on making it work, should I post them here or send them privately?
Dave
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  09:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howzit Dave

Definitely post the here question here. I'm sure any mana'o shared would be most beneficial to everyone here. I'm so happy to hear you're planning to take the initiative in organizing a regular kanikapila yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the reception of the invites. I either send out emails invites or post the invitation on FB & tag everyone. I often get celebrities asking to join in at the kanikapila like Don Kaulia, David Kaio, Ledward, Eric Keawe etc. Then I have friends like the Abrigo Ohana, Ozzie, Peter Medeiros, Young Peter Moon & Kevin Brown on the perpetual invite list. You'd be surprised how many show up. Everybody enjoys a kanikapila. Maybe Patrick Landeza will show up at yours. Make it a potluck kanikapila like I do so Patrick can share not only ono music but some of his ono food too!!!
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  09:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike

When are you planning to visit Oahu again? Let me know so I can rustle up the gang for a proper kanikapila.
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  09:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke
In my case I will be expanding an existing paina/kanikapila so help will be needed.
I'll put Patrick on the list but he is 300 miles north so unless he just happens to be on his way home from Disneyland, I won't expect him.
More to come on this. I need to check with some folks and make sure I am not stepping on any toes (painful in slippahs).
Thanks for doing this.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  6:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh Duke,
I will be coming home from Nov 23 to Dec 1. I know it's Thanksgiving so it will be hard to get everyone together. I have no expectations, just letting you know I am coming home and interested if there's anything going on.
Mahalo plenty,
tom
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  6:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Remind me again when your visit gets close. I know most of your visit will be tied up with family time but maybe, just maybe your free day will coincide with my free day & I can hustle up a little kanikapila for you.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  12:25:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Glad to hear you had a public performance to share slack key. So cool to hear that even though by your account, you botched "Manuela Boy" big time, you still received some positive feedback.

I got back the recording of the performance yesterday (my friend forgot to let me know it was ready to download). It wasn't quite as bad as it seemed when I was actually playing it, but there were still a few notes so wrong I winced when listening to it. :)

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2015 :  3:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Geoff

We are always our own worst critics. I'm not surprised that the recording proved that your performance of "Manuela Boy" wasn't as bad as you initially thought. Ozzie always told me "You need to work on your facial expressions when you perform. Don't cringe when you make a mistake. If you don't sell out that you made a mistake, there's a 99% chance the audience won't catch it." I once saw Kawika Kahiapo at the slack key festival make 17 mistakes (I counted them) during his performance of his own composition. He played it off so well. Didn't even flinch once. He got a great ovation from the audience after he was done. I was stunned. Ozzie's theory was validated right there. Made me a believer & it certainly takes the pressure off trying to be perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  11:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I used to study martial arts, sensei would often say, "If you make a mistake during your kata (form), just keep going. If you stop to acknowledge it with a head shake or a frown, you've made TWO mistakes". Sure enough, at one belt test I blew right past one particular move and the testing master instructor didn't catch it. I got the next belt anyway.

And I often remind my guitar and uke students that we are our own worst critics.

Edited by - Earl on 10/14/2015 11:13:02 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000