Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Some thoughts on the old days
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2016 :  1:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was cleaning out my CD collection and ran across the Taropatch.net member collections for 2004 and 2005. For those of you who weren't around then, TP folks contributed Slack Key and Hawaiian tunes and someone assembled the collection into a 2- or 3-CD release. Craig Patchett (cpatch)and Sarah Whitaker (Sarah) did the 2004 version which had 39 tunes (2 CDs). Jesse Tinsley (hapakid) did the 2005 version which had 71 tunes (3 CDs). Anyway, I had the following thoughts after reading the liner notes and playing a few of the tunes on each CD:

1. The CDs contain an amazing array of talent. Some of us were just learning (My playing then was pretty crude. Hopefully, I sound better after 11 years of practice.). Some of us were good back then. Listening to those early contributions from Fran and Lawrence and Andy and Dave Nye and hapakid and Dusty made me want to be better.

2. I miss the old days. I've been on the Taropatch since 2002. there was a time when I read it 2 or 3 times a day. A lot of what I know about Hawaiian music and Slack Key and playing, I learned from the early days gang. We all seldom agreed on anything, but the varied posts had decades of experience and it was never boring. A few of the early members are still posting, but I miss the discourse from the early days wrecking crew.

3. I uploaded all of the CDs to ITunes and made a backup. Although going through these collections made me sad, I don't want to ever lose this music. These collections represent a time in my life that is certainly in my top 10 of all time.

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2016 :  3:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The pre Youtube era haha. I still have my CD's and listen to them. That was a fun time for sure.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  05:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Terry. Yeah! I have a the Taropatch 2004 sitting behind me right here at my office. It's a process right? Still trying to get better. Some days, it happens. Other days, not so much.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading the 'patch. If I build it, will they return?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  05:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never left Andy but if you upgrade it I might visit more often.

BTW A belated "Hau'oli la hanau, Andy" Hope you had an awesome birthday.
Go to Top of Page

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  09:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still here... never left.

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  5:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not been around here all that long (~2007 I believe) and have never left, but I miss the prior activity level too. Once Facebook hit big, things really got quiet here. (I won't ever do Facebook).
I participate regularly in the Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum (UTGF), and to a lesser extent the Acoustic Guitar Forum (AGF). AGF is more diverse, but things are just not as friendly there. Maybe their forum operating system might be useful, Andy.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  09:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are the best!

Earl, thanks for the links. I took a look at those sites, and it's helpful to know what's under the hood. BTW, I used to read AGF but haven't been in a long time.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  2:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still here, too. Such a good group of people.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  02:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still here, though not every day now. And I, too, will never do Facebook or any of its imitators.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  07:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still here. Check in every 1-2 days. Haven't posted in a while. Abruptly stopped playing Ki'holu months ago. Not playing much ukulele lately either. Enjoying guitar in std. tuning. One thing I've not lost is my love for Hawaiian music. Honestly, that's all I play. I get so much satisfaction from playing the standards. If it's a hula tune, I like it. Two songs I play everyday and never tire of are "Lei Nani" and "Kaimana Hula".
I was stationed at Pearl Harbor from '78-'81 but do not remember ever hearing Hawaiian music. My wife and I started visiting again 10 years ago and that's when the music took hold of me.
I do do Facebook some. Friends with Duke, and Fran. Got together with Fran a couple of years ago in Kailua. I know Earl from UTGF. Out of like 4000 members, us two are the only Hawaiian music players I know of on there.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  11:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still here, also! Tech changes, but folks don't. We still need music and folks to play with and for. FB is nice, but it ain't the 'patch, especially in the "golden age".
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  12:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

We still need music and folks to play with

A chance would be a very fine thing indeed there, my friend :D

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  09:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the good memories, Terry! Yes, I have all of our Taropatch.net CDs too. I too have been around since the inception and have enjoyed the board. Also, thanks for the kind words Terry.

Unfortunately, I can't play much any more as my hands hurt too much when I do.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  09:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I am relatively new to this forum, and really glad it is here. From my point of view, the "good old days" are now!

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  06:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still here too. Like Earl & Neeej, I will never join FB--I've seen (third hand) too much of the drama and harm it can do. And, like Neeej, I don't check every day either. (Can you tell I want to be like Neeej when I grow up? Assuming that will ever happen?)

I don't miss the drama and acrimony from the "old days." Even though TP is quieter with less activity, I like the tone better. I have learned a lot from this board and made some new friends through it. Thanks, Andy, for letting us congregate here.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  12:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Momi, one could do a lot worse in life than trying to be like Neeej.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000